Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Hobby Lobby Sr. Telemaster ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Hobby Lobby Sr. Telemaster ARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 07:52 PM
algutkin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby Lobby Sr. Telemaster ARF

The Telemaster #2 is now fixed and almost ready to fly tomorrow. Another Greg Covey quicky 3 inch engine mount has been crafted and glued in place. Rain is predicted, that is good, the air is heavy, heavy weight on the wings is good. The guys on another related thread have installed bomb bay doors in their kits, perhaps they have something. This baby need some weight.

I saw a guy driving a small car on the freeway this summer, he removed the seats and was carrying a small pony inside. I sort of feel the same way carrying the Telemaster. It fills up my medium size SUV, the good thing is that it doesn't eat much.

I personally feel that if you can master flying a tail wheel floater with precision, you will become a better all around RC pilot. The next flight objective is to avoid making an emergency landing in the field bordering the make shift cement runway. What could be worse than scraping cow poop off your plane, then, your shoes.

My new motto, keep the poop off the shoes, the plane on the runway.

Thursday's flight was canceled due to wine during lunch and too much traffic in the afternoon. Friday I'm going to nail flying the Telemaster. I am thinking that the problem is pilot related, and not aircraft related. I've been trying to over-control the craft on landing approach, probably due to too much previous heli flying experience. The transmitter has been re-programmed with lots of expo. which might add some stability to the landing approach.

If you notice in the picture there is no fuel bottle, no fuel pump, the tool kit is very small and mostly not even used, there are no rags, no windex, no 12 volt starting batteries, no glo plugs, and no work table. I love electric !

Later

Al G.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69198.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	377084  
Old 12-29-2005, 08:48 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The big 6s2p BalancePro HD 6400mAh pack easily fits in the main cabin of the Senior Telemaster ARF. It firmly slides into position surrounded by foam and is then held in place with a block of white EPP foam that wedges snuggly into place.

All the connections are made from the front hatch area so the wing can be kept on for arming and recharging.

Name:	Rp43272.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	377356  
Old 12-30-2005, 07:45 PM
algutkin

Nailed it !

5 full stop landings, and 1 touch and go. The plane came back whole. Once you get used to the flat final approach, the float while in ground effect, and loss of rudder and tail wheel control during the roll out, this plane is fun to fly. It will be even more fun carrying a camera. When Greg Covey and his guys fly this craft I'm sure you will see what a great plane this it.

I now know that any flight problems in my previous posts were self induced. I made some programming mistakes. I never, ever, used expo in the past when flying helis or fixed wing aircraft. I just continued to over-control the aircraft and accepted the fact that I was just never going to improve. My electric conversions started with twins, so I read up on flaperons, and expo. I just now realized that I made an error when I programmed expo into my computer controller and didn't even realize it. I made my controls much more sensitive around neutral instead of less sensitive, thus, I was always chasing the over-controlled aircraft and never flew with stability. I realized this error when I checked the setup for the Telemaster. The flights today were completed with the proper amount of expo programmed in, and the craft flew very stable, as expected. Now I have to change the programming in all my setups.

This will probably be the last post from me regarding the Telemaster until mid February. The Telemaster deserves a better flying site, so, it is going to fly at Death Valley Airport in February and we are set up to take some funny videos.

I just pulled a 60 size nose wheel trainer down from the attic and threw away the motor and tank. I started the conversion last night and will post pictures as soon as I can edit the picture size. I am going to try this conversion using a 2826 Axi motor and a 12X8 prop. The statistics say it should work. The craft weighs 6 lbs. with a 2 cycle KB motor and empty tank. I removed the motor and tank and it now weighs 4 lbs. even. Stay tuned, this conversion will take 5 hours or less.

Happy New Year
Al G.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:54 AM
LarryC

Al,

Be sure your expo is set in the proper direction. Set up correctly, it should make the plane less sensitive to stick movememnts around center. If it's set wrong, it gets more sensitive. On Futaba, you have to use a negative setting, with the higher negative number being less sensitive. JR is just the opposite; + expo is less sensitive. I don't know about the other mfrs. I have flown a friends plane that had it backwards. It wasn't fun.

Larry
Old 12-31-2005, 10:38 AM
algutkin

Larry:

You are absolutely right. I had plus 50 set in my Futaba, now I changed it to minus 50 and it made flying easy. After all these years of flying I never payed attention to expo. Boy, did I make life difficult for myself. I made flying much more difficult than it had to be. Because the elevator was so sensitive I made the Telemaster look like Flipper with it's tail flapping the water, going up and down.

Al G.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Greg Covey

Al,

Your one of the few guys that doesn't blame it on the plane. It's a nice observation to see once in a while.

I'm glad Larry gave such a clear explaination for all to follow.

Happy New Year guys!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:18 PM
shamrock

No one has mentioned the wing struts. Nothing in the instructions and no hardware included with my ARF. What did you folks do to mount the struts?
Old 01-09-2006, 11:55 PM
LarryC

Here are a few photos of a friend's Telemaster taken today for it's maiden flight. It was a little breezy, but the plane handled it very well. It's slow, stable, and really easy to see. This one will likely end up carrying a video camera.

LarryC

Name:	Rp43029.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	384666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15412.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	384667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13656.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	384668  
Old 01-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Greg Covey

shamrock,

There are no wing struts on the new ARF version.

Larry,

Thanks for the photos.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:21 PM
shamrock

Lets revisit the ARF wing strut issue. In the package of "extra" lumber, there are 2 18" strut shaped pieces. There is a hard-point located 1 rib out from the servo opening.

When more flight reports are available, we may know that extra wing support is not required. I certainly hope so. 'Rasslin with an 8 foot wing getting an aircraft ready to fly (or leave) is not the fun part of a day at the field.

I don't want to sound arguementative, but simply offer a "heads-up".
Old 01-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Greg Covey

Is that what those pieces are for?

They don't show up in the manual instructions but I had them in my box. Apparently you need to buy hardware to attach them.

It turns out that your answer is in the new Telemaster [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4951]review[/link] on RCG by Steve Herlacher.

The wing struts were included but they were not covered and the old instructions did not say anything about them. They included some extra covering to cover the struts and any other small hangar rash.

I have been told by some pilots that they are not needed and I have been told by Hobby Lobby that they are needed for loops or rolls so I decided to use them. I used some brass control horns from Hobby Lobby to mount them to the wing and then just a wood screw to mount the other end to the bottom of the ply landing gear plate.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 PM
StephenT

Greg

Have you flown yours yet? Are you snowed in there?

StephenT
Old 01-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Greg Covey

Stephen,

It's a weird January up here this year. No snow and 50 degrees F today.

Hopefully, my maiden flight of the Senior Telemaster will be soon.

Regards.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:04 PM
MikeFreas

Well folks I returned my ESC to Dymond tonight. I simply didn't want to be stuck with only a 4S set up. I was ready to pay the difference in price for the Jeti but they didn't have the Jeti ESC I needed and said that a controller good for 70A and 5 cells would be over 250.00! I drove home with my Dymond 50A controller but didn't feel right about going with the 4S set up. I looked in the HL catalog and they advertise a 70 A Jeti good for 1-6 cells for 129. I checked the HL site and they are out of stock. So now I'm in the market for another ESC ready to spend a bit more. Has anyone used one of TrueR/C ESC's? Why are they 1/3 the price of the Jeti unit?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Greg Covey

Mike,

If you can't get a Jeti ESC, I would recommend the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLBY3&P=7]Phoenix HV 45[/link] at Tower Hobbies.

Remember that Hobby Lobby's bigger distributors typically have stock when Hobby Lobby is out. Try calling places like Atlanta Hobby or New Creations RC.

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2006, 03:11 PM
MikeFreas

I checked out that ESC but I think I need a bit more as I may be pulling 45A with this set up depending on prop size. I haven't had a chance to look for one on the net yet today.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:40 PM
MikeFreas

Well the building is finally done! Although the building is done the bird isn't ready to fly quite yet. I'm waiting on my ESC from HL and the big packs from TrueR/C are on back order so I'm grounded for a bit. I'm happy with the final product I guess. Some parts of the covering job could be better but I haven't covered a bird in about 4 years so I'm a bit rusty. AUW (minus ESC) is 9.5 lbs. I used 850g of pennies in the battery compartment to simulate a 5S2P 8000 mah pack. CG came out just about perfect which made me happy. With the big digital camera the bird weighs in at 11 lbs. I have enough money for a 3P set up so I think I'm going to stuff the nose with cells for hour long flights between charging. I'm headed out to check a new flying club because my current site is going to be developed soon.

Name:	Nk28161.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	391858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28636.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	391859  
Old 01-20-2006, 10:46 PM
MikeFreas

Sorry for the size of the pictures. I tried to change it but couldn't figure it out.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:52 PM
mmmdowning

Mikefreas,

Looks great. Telemaster with teeth, awesome.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Greg Covey

Mike,

Nice pics! The giant appearance of the images is due to a corruption in the image file which can be related to coming from the MAC world. If you can open them in MS Paint and re-save them, this usually fixes it. I did this on one of your photos to show the result.

I have seen this issue when our graphics guy sends me images from his MAC.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:30 PM
jetdrivergiv

I have a "small" 40 size telemaster, and it is much easier to land with flaps. The added drag is very welcome on short final. I built mine with separate flaps, but if I could do it over again I would have mixed them in the ailerons. Without full span ailerons, the roll control at slow speed really suffers, because of the lack of propwash at the wing tips. There is also a big difference in approach speed depending on prop size (glow engines). The flat K series 12 x 6 MA makes speed control nice!
Old 01-28-2006, 12:55 AM
herm

Dont forget that you can always add drag to an electric by letting the prop windmill, turn off the brake and just modulate the throttle to bring it down.. sometimes it helps to disable automatic endpoint adjustment in the esc, so you have the full throttle range available. Thats one of the reasons I like my sensored Maxcim controllers, very precise throttle control, and you can turn the brake on/off with the throttle trim.

My setup with the ST arf is a geared maxcim, 1200 watts and a 16*8 prop on 8s 4200 lipos.. still working on it, upgrading the hard points in the wing for the struts.

Herm
Old 01-31-2006, 11:27 AM
Calixto

Hi Mike.
I just started assembling my Sr. Telemaster ARF, i noticed in your pictures that you are not using rubber bands to hold the wing, can you send details of how you modified the wing?.
Calixto
Old 01-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the way I did it...

Click on the gallery icon below my screen name for the photos.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:05 PM
MikeFreas

Funny...I posted about 2 hours ago and it never showed up on the board. Anyway. If you look at page 2 of this thread you will get an idea of how I did it. If you need more pictures let me know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.