Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Seagull Dual Ace E conversion

Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Seagull Dual Ace E conversion

Old 03-14-2006, 06:42 AM
bri neasham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull Dual Ace E conversion

Have just purchased a Seagull Dual Ace and was going to power it with 2 OS46's, then it occurred to me it should make quite an impressive electric twin.

Only problem is i have very little experience of converting glow powered models to electric and are at a loss in selecting a suitable E power setup for this model.

I would be very interested to hear any suggestions for suitable motors, (AXI's) props, speed controllers, packs etc.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Brian
Old 03-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Euan

Default RE: Seagull Twin Ace E conversion

Brian,
give me a call on 01388 816472 and i can help,
cheers Euan.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Euan

Brian,
had a head scratch and the following set up will provide plenty of power for your Twinace,two Axi 2826/10 turning APCE 14x10,on 3s per motor,should provide around 550 watts@ 43 amps per motor,please find attached my electric conversion of the Ace models seamaster ,we may have got the kits at that local shop thats closed down?,it has an Axi 2826/10 on 3s or 4s and as soon as` the skies clear I will give it a go,
cheers Euan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51931.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	425868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48416.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	425869  
Old 03-14-2006, 11:27 AM
bri neasham

Thanks for the replies Euan, much appreciated!

Will give you a call later.

regards

Brian
Old 05-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Max1965

I just ordered the Duel Ace today and will be converting it to el.....I will be using two Axi2826/12 motors, two Jeti 40 amp optos controllers. The battery power is up in the air as of now but am leaning toward a 5s2p 4960 mah in the fuselage. Possible I might install batteries in the nacelles...don't know until I have the plane in hand. I converted the Hanger 9 90" Cessna to electric and I do love the clean power of those setups.

More later.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Max1965

Default RE: Seagull Dual Ace E conversion

Well I have the plane nearly ready for the first flight.....waiting on batteries.

My setup is two Axi 2826/12 motors...two Jeti 40Amp Opto controllers.....two 4000 mah 4 cell(14.4 volt each) running parallel. I am using APC 10/10 props and I figure I should have about 21 minutes flying time.

I installed the controllers in each of the nacelles. I cut and installed air intake scoops on the bottom and top at the front of each nacelle. The top air scoop angles the air down onto the motor and the bottom air scoop cools the controller. I cut a hole in the back of the bottom nacelle so air could flow out and help with cooling.

I also installed two air scoops under the fuselage (near the front)to force air into the battery packs...an exit hole was fashioned in the rear of the plane.

The battery packs balance out the plane and total weight ready for flying is 9 pound 4 Ounce.....giving a wing loading of about 25 oz/ft. I canned the front landing gear and install a Robart nose gear....I also reinforced the front firewall bulkhead with some ply.

I will try to post some pics of the plane in the near future.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Max1965

Thought I would post some pics

Picture #1 shows the airscoops installed on the top and bottom of the nacelles to help in cooling. The top scoop is built so it angles air down onto the motor...the bottom scoop cools the controller. I cut exit holes in the rear of the bottom nacelle to let the air escape.

Picture #2 is the wiring harness which connects two 4000mah 4cell lipos in parallel to the two controllers/motors.

Picture # 3 shows a "beefedup"firewall by using extra ply and drilling 4 holes in the plywood firewall to accept dowels which are about three inches long and glued inside to a former. The black dots show the location of the dowel holes. I then installed a Robart front nose gear.

#4 shows the motor mounts. I had used a different setup(I changed them) but these plastic tubing from Hobby Lobby are simple light and set the right amount of motor thrust which is built into the DA firewall at the factory. 6/32 bolts and blindnuts secure the motor and mounts to the firewall.

Name:	Ig11549.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	487997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88427.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	487998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58870.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	487999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60477.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	488000  
Old 07-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Max1965

I built a battery box into the nose of the DA.

Originally I planned to use different batteries and this is the reason the former is cut away. The DA needed the nose weight so I went with two shorter "brick" type batteries. All that was necessary for the box was a plate for the batteries to sit on.....a rail on each side of the batteries and a cross member along the top to hold them in place. I used balsa for the rails as it was plenty strong for the side rails. I used a piece of foam ahead of the batteries to help protect them in case they were slammed forward against the firewall in a rough landing. I use Velcro attached to the entrance of the box to hold the batteries in place and to keep them from sliding backward out of the box.

The flying weight (fully fueled) is 9 lbs 4 oz.

Name:	If10431.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	491844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23438.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	491845