Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Need advice on motors, converting a herr P-51 to electric.

Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Need advice on motors, converting a herr P-51 to electric.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:41 PM
rinoldi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on motors, converting a herr P-51 to electric.

Hello. I have a Mustang P-51 that I just built from a HERR kit. I don't wish to get involved with gas engines, so I would like to convert it to electric, but I'm lost!
Airplane wingspan is 42"
Area 303 sq"
Wingload: 10.5 0z/sq

Airplane weights 29 OZ with 3 servos, battery pack and receiver
My radio is an Airtronics vanguard, six channels. receiver is an Airtronics FM. Both in channel 53. Receiver and servos work with a 4.8 battery pack. Servos are standard size.

My questions are:
Which motor (not brushless, I don't want to use nothing expensive) can I use here?
How do I combine the radio/servos system I have (4.8 V) with motor? Do I need a separate battery for the motor?
please give me some ideas or advice. I am a total newbe and I don't have a clue!
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36163.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	458118  
Old 05-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need advice on motors, converting a herr P-51 to electric.

The electronic speed control (ESC) will have a battery eliminator circuit (BEC) built in that allows you to power the receiver and servos from the main battery. A third three letter acronym (TLA) feature, called a low voltage cutoff (LVC) will cut power to the motor when the battery gets low, while leaving the servos and receiver powered.

These days, you can't afford to NOT go brushless anymore. Replace a cheap $10 can motor twice, and you've already spent as much as some of these brushless motors cost. Plus, you've got to suffer with lackluster performance on an overweight plane... It's just not worth it!

LiPoly batteries are where the real expense is now, and even those aren't too bad.

So, you're saying 29oz with battery, receiver, and servos? Hmm, let's see...

Knock off about 3oz by discarding the receiver pack. You can knock off 2-3 ounces more by swapping out standard servos for micros like the Hitec HS-81. You can shave another ounce by going with a smaller receiver like a Hitec Electron. But, other than the receiver pack it's all academic because you're on a budget here.

Normally, I'd recommend an AXI 2808/24 and a 3S LiPoly pack of roughly 2000mAh in size, but that's all high-end stuff...

For battery, use a 10-cell pack of those Integrity 1200 NiMH cells from cheapbatterypacks.com.

Motor? I'll have to get back to you on that one.