Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

H9 new 40 ARF CUB Cooling Help

Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

H9 new 40 ARF CUB Cooling Help

Old 05-31-2006, 02:57 PM
BillPTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 new 40 ARF CUB Cooling Help

Converted H9 new 40 ARF Cub with EFL 46, Phoenix 60, APC 13x8 E prop and two 7cell 3300 Nimh batters with Rx Battery(NO BEC).
Stood off motor with 4 6x32 bolts. Batteries fit in fuel tank area shelf extended. Cut standard holes in front of cowl and front of dummy engine. Left out two back side windows for air exit. Flies great.
I thank I need more air flow. Anyone done this model??
HELP
Bill
Old 05-31-2006, 04:16 PM
normgoyer

Default RE: H9 new 40 ARF CUB Cooling Help

Hi, How is air getting inside of fuselage? You might need two air scoops in belly directing air to batteries and ESC then out open window. Don't forget in Cub, rear windows didn't open but side ones did. Right side swung up and left side slid back. Norm
Old 06-02-2006, 08:05 AM
BillPTC

Have the standatrd two holes in front of cowl and the front of the two dummy engines open. Fire wall has a large round hole
Bill
Old 06-02-2006, 09:40 AM
normgoyer

Hi Bill, log onto www.victorvalleyrcflyers.com and go into the April Newsletter for pix of my same size Cub and how I solved the battery cooling problem. The motor, battery and ESC barely get warm. Norm
Old 06-04-2006, 10:35 AM
BillPTC

I like your mount. My batteries are on the other side of the firewall for balance. Will probable cut two wholes besides the center hole
Thanks
Bill
Old 06-04-2006, 12:15 PM
normgoyer

Hi, I just drove in from flying the Cub, mounty is the one from Hoibby Lobby 18 buycks works gr4eat. Norm
Old 06-04-2006, 12:38 PM
normgoyer

I was interrupted before I had a chance to finish the last letter to you. I flew the plane again this morning and the more I fly it the larger crowd it attracts. Electrics have so much appeal in so many ways. I fly the Cub for about 6 minutes most at high rpm for some mild aerobatics that I like to do. I have only 11.1 volts 3700 ma LiPoly battery in it. I like the mount because it is aluminum bends easily to absorb crash forces and you can get any degrees you need for down or side thrust very easily. You can also put these mounts on the firewall of any airplane and swap motors in minutes even at the field. all of my AXI motors swap from one plane to the other and that includes the ESC and batteries. Norm
Old 06-05-2006, 08:58 AM
BillPTC

like your mount. My set up attached
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77490.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	472320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21617.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	472321  
Old 06-05-2006, 09:16 AM
normgoyer

I flew my Cub yesterday in 106 degree heat and had no problem except with me, just too hot in the sun. Cub didn't mind at all. Your set up looks good but after you land for your first very short flight check the temp on all components. If it is too hot to touch then you need more cooling, just warm you are okay. Norm
Old 06-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Cyrus Abdollahi

Hi BillPTC,

I have the same exact cub as you. I ordered a motor (different than yours) that should be comming in soon. The only thing I take slight issue with is how you have mounted your motor. It probably will work fine, but it looks like you are going to put those bolts under high amounts of stress and vibration. Just keep in mind that over time you might have a failure at one of those bolts. Personally, I am going to put a proper motor mount on my cub.

Cheers,
Old 06-06-2006, 08:36 AM
normgoyer

Hi Cyrus, that motor mount is the one recommended by AXI and Hobby Lobby. I have three of them two with large number of flights. Think, electric motor, no vibration. One of the best parts of this type of power. Balance your prop and all is smooth. With this mount you can also save your motor in case of a crash as it is aluminum and will bend drastically taking up the stresses of a crasn. I drove one into the ground from 100 feet and it saved the motor and I was able to pound out the mount and use it again. You can also do minor thrust changes easily and swap motors from plane to plane in seconds. Norm
Old 06-06-2006, 09:15 AM
algutkin
My Feedback: (1)

Cyrus,

The sheer strength of those bolts is over kill. Yes you can fatigue them and cause a one to break, by putting one into a vise and using heavy pliers to work it back and forth, but you can't break it by pulling. I heard through the grape vine, that in an emergency, Norm might engineer the use one of those bolts to attach a 180 horsepower Lycoming to a full sized Cub. Now that should attest to the strength of those bolts.

Norm,

I use the same technique as you to straighten out the other type of Axi mount. I can't believe how the prop breaks, the mount has S bends in it and the motor and internal shaft is still straight. I love Axi motors, they remind me of Timex watches and Eveready Batteries.

Touch Test,

Like Norm says, the touch test is the best method, run the plane on the ground, through the full cycle of the batteries, kill two birds with one stone. Measure the duration of the batteries by using a stop watch, feel the controller, feel the batteries. If it hurts, add more batteries in parallel. The controller will shut down if it's not happy. Running on the ground puts stress on the system, no air flow, so it's a good way to test the setup. Got to go to the office, but, common sense is right most of the time.

Al

Al
Old 06-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Cyrus Abdollahi

Hi Al,

The sheer strength of those bolts is over kill. Yes you can fatigue them and cause a one to break, by putting one into a vise and using heavy pliers to work it back and forth, but you can't break it by pulling. I heard through the grape vine, that in an emergency, Norm might engineer the use one of those bolts to attach a 180 horsepower Lycoming to a full sized Cub. Now that should attest to the strength of those bolts.
While the tensile strength of the bolts might be in excess for the model, it would be failure in shear force that would ultimately result in bolt failure. One would not use bolts this small to attach a motor to a full size cub. It would be necessary to obtain the ultimate tensile, compressive and shear stress values from a random sample of the bolts that will be used to mount the motor. By using a random sample from the actual batch of bolts that will be used to mount the motor, the engineer can accurately size the bolts needed (As many manufacturers claims on bolt strength can be off unless they are precision bolts, even then one would still want to perform a stress test).

Cheers,
Old 06-06-2006, 11:30 AM
algutkin
My Feedback: (1)

Cyrus,

I was only joking about Norm and the full sized Cub.

However, you will not be able to sheer those bolts from any kind of RC crash, and you will only be able to bend them once From that point on they will be weakend and must be replaced.

Al
Old 07-03-2006, 05:41 PM
BillPTC

Thanks all for the reply.
I have been gone for the last two weeks with a vacation to Hawaii and cruise. Last big vacation before I retire 40 years.
Went ahead and cut a larger hole in bottom of cowl and put a deflector in it. Castle Creation replaced the ESC, Great Company. Going to leave the current mount,
Thanks all. Next time around I an going to try the new mount from HL.
Bill