Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Giant Stinger waiting for electric conversion.

Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Giant Stinger waiting for electric conversion.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:01 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Giant Stinger waiting for electric conversion.

Hello everyone. I have a giant Stinger which up until now has had a 50cc ZDZ engine in it. Well with only 2 hours on the engine and the cylinder blew off my breaking point with glow and gas is over.

What electric brushless motor can I put on the front of this plane to give me the same performance as the 50cc gas? I love all the electrics I now have and this will be the first giant electric, but I know it won't be the last.

I use this plane to skydive from and the last thing I need is to be working on the plane constantly. I'm fed up with the mess, vibration, and all the other problems with glow and gas engines.

Any help here with a motor, speed control, and battery combination would be much appreciated.

Thanks Dave
Old 06-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Giant Stinger waiting for electric conversion.

Hi Dave,

Are these are the specs of your giant scale Stinger below?
[ul][*] Wing Span: 84 in. (213 cm)[*] Wing Area: 1,596 sq. in. (10,297 cm²)[*] Length: 52.5 in. (133 cm)[*] Weight: 20.0 lbs. (9.1 kg)[*] Engine: 1.8 - 4.2 2 - cycle[*] (29.5 - 68.8 cc 2 - cycle)
[/ul]
A DA-50 develops 5 hp which equals 3750 watts. These gas motors are typically over-rated. An electric motor like an AXI [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-axi5330.htm]5330/18[/link] can burst to 3500 watts and generally offer much better low RPM torque and reliability than gas or glow engines. If you plan to use this plane as a host for sky diving then you don't need a 3D power level.

This cost effective setup should work fine:
[ul][*] AXI 5330/18[*] Jeti 90-amp ESC[*] APC 20" or 21" prop[*] 10s Lithium pack capable of 90amps burst delivery
[/ul]
You can see a similar setup in my 33% Edge 540 [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=550]Part 2[/link] article.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:35 PM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Greg,

I am currrently looking at a JPS motor. They have some BIG motors. I'm keeping an open mind, I just have my doubts about the Axi motor being big enough when I put three 3-1/2 lb. skydivers under the wing?
Old 07-01-2006, 10:30 PM
ekotil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EP you are right, the AXI 5330 will fly it but more like a trainer than a sport plane. My Stinger 120 has an AXI 5330/18 with 10s2p lipo and it will go vertical and hover, but it's AUW is 13.5. Go bigger than the 5330. EK.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you guys are missing the point...assuming the point is creating a host for the Sky Diver and not having 3D power on the Stinger.

If you properly read my review, go through the numbers, and, watch the videos of my 33% Edge 540 "Part 2" conversion, you will see that my much larger and higher drag Edge 540 has plenty of power for aerobatics, including knife edge, at an all up weight of 20lbs. If you are still not convinced, please view the SKS video of the 2005 NEAT Fair.

The goal of creating an electric-powered host for the Sky Diver need not cost an "arm and a leg". The AXI/Jeti combination is a very cost-effective approach for creating a 3000 watt burst power system. Additional proof of this concept is in my preliminary write-up on the [link=http://www.gregcovey.com/reviews/SkyDiver/SkyDiver.htm]Sky Diver review[/link] for RCU. The Senior Telemaster doesn't even care that the Sky Diver is under it's belly and it is only powered by an AXI 4130 motor. This low-cost ARF is only $195 at [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/srtele-arf.htm]Hobby Lobby[/link] and the AXI 4130 power system is much less expensive to use.

Lastly, I am not familiar with JPS motors. Can you please provide a link to the one you refer too?

Regards.