Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

GP Matt Chaman 40 CAP

Old 07-04-2006, 07:59 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Matt Chaman 40 CAP

Any ideas what would be a good motor/esc/battery combo for this plane? Here are some specs...
Wingspan: 55.5" (1410mm)
Wing Area: 562.5 sq in (36.3 sq dm)
Weight: 6.75-7.5lb (3.1-3.4kg)
Wing Loading: 28-30 oz/sq ft (85-92 g/sq dm)
Length: 52.5" (1335mm)
Towers website shows a kontronic brushless motor/esc combo, but at $400 that seems a little expensive. This would be my first conversion though so maybe its not expensive.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:16 PM

Default RE: GP Matt Chaman 46 CAP

Hi I would put in an AXI 4130 from Hobby Lobby with the appropiate ESC and LiPoly battery. They will match up a system for you. These AXIs are great outrunner motors and when used with the matcing Jeti esc will move your plane through the air even better than glow. You will never go back, but start off correct by purchasing good equipment and don't try to lowball parts using unknown products. Norm

I have 4 AXIs of different sizes and am very satisfied with the products and the service from Hobby Lobby
Old 07-04-2006, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the info, I shot an email off to hobby lobby telling them which motor I wanted to go with, and included the specs of the plane. I didnt see any lipoly packs big enough on there website unless I overlooked them.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:43 AM

Hi They have excellent lipolys and they are on line and in their catalong. they have separate charge plugs. Some times it makes more snese to gang wire Lipolys as I do. I have several packs that are wired either in parallel or in series depending if I need more amps or more volts. I am sure that the modeler who answers you will suggest the correct package. Norm
Old 07-05-2006, 03:13 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Chris:

This electric stuff can cost you a lot, or it can cost you a little. There are several alternatives, however, they all require research. The best bet for a beginner is to emulate somone else's project, take advantage of thier research. Just to give you some examples regarding motors and batteries.

You can power that plane with an Axi 2826 motor or you can use a Axi 4120. The 4120 might be overkill, but you can use that motor to power other planes that weigh more.

You can power that plane with one big pack of Lipos, or, you can wire together a few smaller packs that you can buy at bargain prices.

From what I've learned, and I don't profess to know it all, this whole electric stuff is based upon your wallet size. For example, take a look at Glacier Girl's thread on the 90" P38. One way to go would mean that the P38 would cost $3400 to complete, including the cost of the plane $ 249.00. Someone put their two cents worth in and saved over $ 400.00, right off the bat. I saw another number of $1400.00 or less. This is the way I would tackle it.

According to the 90" P38 specs. it can carry lots of weight, and has lots of room. I would load it up with small cheap Lipos, wire them in parallel, which would add 1lb to the weight and cost hundreds less. This is just one part, lipos. You would do the same for every part, if money was an object.

Welcome to the electic RC world of research and development. Perhaps you might look at this whole thing different if you start with your wallet, count the hundreds that are available, then ask for more info. A good example of a question, I have $ 400.00 to power my 6lb airplane with electic, it has wing area of X inches, any suggestions? If you find that you need some more hundreds, see Norm in Apple Valley, he probably can arrange financing. LOL

Take Care
Al Gutkin
Old 07-05-2006, 03:51 PM

Default RE: GP Matt Chaman 40 CAP

Thanks a lot Al, I am having a hard time financing my Ferrari Dino and my scheduled shuttle ride. And if you believe that well you know the rest of that tired old saying. Old Norm is barely existing on SS and well we don't talk about the rest. McGraw Hill did release my last book to China last week. it was fun and weird seeing my writings and picturees in Chinese. Norm
Old 07-05-2006, 04:59 PM

I have done a little research and saw that just the lipoly batteries were going to run me about 300 bucks, and that doesnt even include the esc and motor. Looks like I might have to save up for this conversion.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:03 PM

Hi Chris, when I decided that I was going to electric I sold all my many years of glow and gas modeling products on eBay and got over 2 grand for the lot. This is what I used to puchase my products. It didn't cost that much but it did cost about a grand over a year but I am enjoying modeling like I never did before. I was the editor of Scale R/C Modeler magazine for about 13 years. Norm