Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Flair Puppeteer

Old 07-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Ady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flair Puppeteer

HI
All

I have a puppeteer which im thinking about converting to electric but im unsure of which motor prop speed controler and batterys to use this will be my first conversion to electric
yet i have had a couple of eco 8 heli's useing brushless motors and 10 cell packs Thanks for your advice Ady
Old 07-06-2006, 02:20 PM
normgoyer

Default RE: Flair Puppeteer

Hi Ady, we modelers on this side of the pond sometimes don't know about all the models out there. What helps is the wingspan, weight, and the glow engine size origionally used. Also what purpose does this model serve, trainer, powered glider, aerobatic or simply a fum to fly model. Norm
Old 07-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Ady

http://www.flairmodels.co.uk/Aircraf...coutframes.htm
here is a link to there site its a bi plane thanks Ady
Old 07-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Ady

The Puppeteer Mk2

Specification.
Span 60" (1525 mm)
Engines .30-.45 2 strokes, .40-.60 4 strokes
Radio 4 channel
Weight 8 lbs (3.6kg)

hope that helps as well thanks Ady
Old 07-06-2006, 03:59 PM
normgoyer

Hi Ady, years ago I had a Fokker Triplane that was a Flair model I believe, flew great. Biplanes have a lot of drag and a lot of lift. An AXI 4120 series would fly the plane very nicely as would an AXi 4130 motor or any high quaility equivilant motor. Because of the high lift you might be able to use Nicds or NiH cells rather than the expensive but really great LiPolys. I have an AXI 4120 in a fifth scale PT-19 and it flies very scale like, weighs 11 pounds but has very low drag and a high lift large wing. Many modelers like to fly fast and wild with any type of aircraft I prefer to fly the model as if it were a full scale version and make the flights as scale like as possible. Some of the guys in my club fly their Cubs with huge engines and they fly more like an Extra than a Piper. Norm
Old 07-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Ady

couldnt agree more i would like to keep it at scale speeds but its allways nice to have little in hand if needed i was thinking of useing 8 or 10 cells as there seems to be a tail weight issue with the pup as ive read a few articles on this site about the pup the guys useing ic engines seem to put about 20 oz of weight in the nose so by useing ni mi cells that should help to over come that problem ill go look on the net at the motors you sugest and allso see what size speed controller ill need cya Ady
Old 07-06-2006, 05:47 PM
normgoyer

Hi Ady, you could custom solder up some NiH cells in a circualr pattern and put them under the cowling around the outer edge. I use a 70 Jeti ESC and a separate battery for the receiver. I run my big PT-19 on 22.2 volts from 3300ma LiPolys. Hobby Lobby is an honest company who has been in electrics from many decades. I have known them for over 20 years. I did a lot of work with them when I was editor of Scale R/C Modeler.. Norm
Old 07-09-2006, 05:14 PM
kris1

I recon the AXI 4120 would be a good choice it will swing a big prop on 10 cells, 14 or 15 x 8. I have a 4120/14 in an aerobatic running 4S lipo and 14 x 10. It works very well. With 10 cells though you could go the gearbox route and swing a bigger prop which will suit the airframe very well. I remember some time back some an electric conversion in EFI magazine of the pup and the magnatla. They were brushed motors and ranged from a 600 BB on 3:1 gb and 10 cells with about 13 x 8 prop, the other was for a 700 neodem on gearbox on 12 cells. This second option may be a good one for the pup as it is quite powerful and the motor and gearbox is heavy. It would mean you cold fill the frount with motor and gearbox rather than lead. I think Grupner sell this as a drive set. or a brushed motor from the mega range. I have a Mega mini 7e which works very well with a geatbox and will take 10cells. It is for sale if you are intrested.

Hope this helps

Kris
Old 07-09-2006, 05:59 PM
normgoyer

Hi Cris, my next motor is going to be an AXI 5300 series for some of my 1/4 scale planes that are waiting for a conversion. I have settled on AXI and Jeti products because I know what they will do, the same reason that I have settled on Pentax and Fuji cameras and Toshiba Satellite laptops. And of course my yard full of Karmann Ghias and VWs. New products mean new problems and at my age I want to have fun not work to hard. Norm
Old 07-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Ady

Take a look at this site i was thinking of getting the Tower Pro 4130 800w motor as it up to a 6000 g plane http://www.b*********.co.uk/?page=sh...ditem&item=167
and the price is good to
Old 07-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Ady

And this esc i thought would be man enough for the job useing 16 sub c cells

http://www.b*********.co.uk/?page=sh...ditem&item=173
Old 07-09-2006, 08:28 PM
normgoyer

Hi Ady, thanks for the site info. I am curious as to the quality of the motor, the AXI is like a jewel and the pix of the Pro looks a little rough. I am not up on the current rate of exchange and make sure you write me to let me know what you think of them when thery arrive. Do you know what country they are made in the AXI are Czech Republic and the workmanship and material is first class. The 4130 AXi is abouit 150 dollars and a 77 ESC Jeti is 178 dollars, with a sometimes special price of 20% off or so. Norm

what usually determines the quality of these motors are the number of ball bearings and their quality. there is nothing else to wear out.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Ady

Hi

Norm
i dont know where they are made i just came accross the site surfing the net and looking at diffrent motors and prices i was allso wondering how good they are as compared to the prices of axi and hacker motors and esc controllers theyseem rather cheap i will e mail the site and ask where they are made but looking at the specs of the motor it looks ok
Old 07-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Ady

We are the UK Agent for Airpower
and there in TAIWAN so i guess that's who make the motors
Old 07-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Ady

http://www.airpowernet.com/

found there site but cant seem to find the Tower pro 4130 motor on there