Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

tower hobbies uproar 40 electric conversion

Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

tower hobbies uproar 40 electric conversion

Old 09-14-2009, 07:48 PM
jsnakeracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tower hobbies uproar 40 electric conversion

ok i got a tower hobbies uproar 40 airframe in a trade today i dont wanna go glow with it i wanna convert it to electric but im kinda new to the electric scene i need to knwo a few things like what motor and esc combo i should get what kind of servos i should run in it and what batteries to get i know i want lipo but what mah and discharge rate what cell count i plan on using a futaba 6ex for my radio so any advice would be great and i would like to keep it cost effective because i would like to have it is a 3d trainer and possibly a fun fly plane.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:02 PM
jumper666

Default RE: tower hobbies uproar 40 electric conversion

Here is how one did it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803214

gb
Old 09-14-2009, 08:21 PM
jsnakeracing

ok that helped a little bit still need an experienced electric guy to tell me a good motor nd esc combo i hear from the guys at my local feild that hackers are the best so.......
Old 09-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Aircraftfreak15

we put an eflight power 46 in a 8 pound spitfire. it should be plenty of power for an uproar the spits also got an 63 inch span.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:43 PM
crashcrash

*TR 42-40A 1050kv 35A Brushless Outrunner (hobby city)
* Pentium 40 opto 40a ESC by Hobby Wing
* UBEC
* 2200mAh 20c x2 in parallel by "Y harness
* swings a 10-6 S-2 series
* latch system for fuel/battery compartment
* cooling intake on top of fuel compartment door
* exaust port on lower right of fuel compartment to carry heat off.

You can use a single battery to fly. It yeilds about 7 minuets of flight without excessive heat on the battery. I run two batteries to pull less heat and I can grab 10 minuets of flight time. In my opinion, it flys better with a .40 gasser on it with more vertical authority. As an electric, it still flys decient though. I plan on putting a 4 blade 10-6 prop on it next week, but I hope it don't cause heat with the batteries.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10920.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1308044  
Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I see this is an old thread, hope someone sees this...
Now I have an Uproar with an .40 O.S. and really like the performance. I put a camera on the wingtip, but get too many vibrations to get a good quality video. So I got a small electric foamy. Great quality, but a little slow and the wind can be a real problem.

So I have another Uproar kit still in box and thought I'd go electric, I have had great experience with HobbyKing , the prices are hard to beat.
Now I am not sure what size motor / prop / battery I should get. I like my .40 glow version, but if it's a little slower, no problem.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a simple setup

Motor:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m605-big...020-670kv.html

ESC:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e06-proton-60a.html

Battery:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-3300-4s1p.html

You could go up to a 5000mah battery for longer flights if the plane will handle the weight and size. I picked the 4s 3300 because it is liter weight.

Run a 13X6 prop and you will have about 5 pounds of thrust. If you need more power then run a 5s battery and it will give about 7.5 pounds of thrust.

Buzz.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnDartMike

I'm just starting to build my kit. Can anyone take some pictures of their mods to make the electric conversion? Especially if they had to make any changes to the battery on servo compartments.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:20 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Well, I flew mine successfully and decided to put a camera on it and installed a gyro. Then it overcompensated...it's in pieces.
I will build another one, this was a very nice plane.

I made very few changes - most important, before you glue the wing into the fuselage, make sure your battery fits. You probably have to cut some of the top sheeting and a but of the leading edge spar. The battery was a very tight fit, I used a Turnigy 4s 2650 maH, I flew it a half throttle with plenty of power, you might be fine with a smaller 3 s.

The cover plate for the fuel tank (battery) was already good in size, I reinforced it with some balsa and installed magnets to keep it in place.

And I am not a friend of these wire landing gears, I got this one : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5578

Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnDartMike

I have been flying mine for a couple of months now. I did indeed need to cut out the wing LE in the fuselage to get the 3300mAh 4s battery to fit. I'm running a Powerup 32 (headsuprc) with 60A ESC and 11x7e APC. It will accelerate vertically so I guess the power is right. Now to electrify the Contender kit I just bought....