Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

older 61 O.S. SF engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:31 PM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default older 61 O.S. SF engine

I just picked up a plane with a older 61 sf on it the bearing felt rough so I took it apart and sure enough they were a little rusty so I ordered new ones. Also the needle valve was missing the little bracket that holds the setting I found that as well and ordered it. I am wondering what kind of power can I will get out of it and were they a good motor, it look to have very little run time on it. Hopefully it will be a keeper!!
Old 10-31-2010, 05:54 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: older 61 O.S. SF engine

About 12500 with a 11 1/2 X 7
Old 10-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that engine came in two versions, ABC and Ringed and that it was a long stroke. Check the Classic Pattern forum.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:01 PM
twostroke

this one is ringed
Old 10-31-2010, 07:15 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have at least six of these engines on a variety of planes and enjoy them all. Some have 7L carbs, some have 7D. The 7M carb on the FSRs took some forum reading to tune them correctly. These engines wake up a lot with a header and pipe.
I just picked another SF 61 up as well and put in Boca Bearings and a Frank Bowman ring.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good catch. Ihave a 46SF, simply awesome.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: twostroke
Hopefully it will be a keeper!!
I has same engine as you has..

If the engine are not a piston ringed engine, then the engine are a ABN engine and will not last long. You will be surpised when the nicle are peeled of the sleeve.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:12 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Motorboy

If the engine are not a piston ringed engine, then the engine are a ABN engine and will not last long. You will be surpised when the nicle are peeled of the sleeve.
Non sense! I have three OS 61 SF ABC(ABN) engines that still run great after 20+ years. They all are currently in planes, a GP Super Sportster 60 (20 years old), a GP Super Skybolt, and a BH T-28 Trojan. They all fly regularly without any peeling. I also have a 23 year old OS 46 SF ABC(ABN) that is also in great shape. I have never seen an SF model where the lining peeled.

Bruce
Old 11-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: landeck

Non sense! I have three OS 61 SF ABC(ABN) engines that still run great after 20+ years. They all are currently in planes, a GP Super Sportster 60 (20 years old), a GP Super Skybolt, and a BH T-28 Trojan. They all fly regularly without any peeling. I also have a 23 year old OS 46 SF ABC(ABN) that is also in great shape. I have never seen an SF model where the lining peeled.

Bruce
Bruce

Can you tell me these of my picture are nonsense?? :
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30076.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1526804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88782.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1526805  
Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM
twostroke

Great pics, I believe you are the man I spoke to on my wankel engine as well, I use to see this problem on the earlier snowmobiles that used a chrome plating on the cylinders it just fails it seems after time and use. I wonder if the newer ones use nikasil plating like the newer engines in snowmobiles and such.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bruce
Bruce

Jens did you buy that engine new? I've never been able to get one to peel.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

Bruce
Bruce

Yes, the engine was bought in 1987, then engine lost compression after 2 seasons and i saw after the problem was the sleeve lost the nickle layer. Since the engine was converted to a pure diesel engine after the engine was stored away in a lot of year.. Here are the history: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4929500/tm.htm

I do not want to make a debate about peeled sleeve here, in RCU can you search after peeled sleeve histories.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:20 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings

Bruce
Bruce

I've owned 5 or 6 over the last 20 years or so and never had a problem either, very strong running engines -
Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Converted to diesel. Don't those allow one to increase the cylinder pressure a lot? Hmmm...
I have an old SF 46 and 61 and both are ABN and both run very well. I have about 500 flights on the 46 and 100 on the 61, so it may take a long time to see any breakdown. I use 18% to 20% oil in my fuel.
Chris....
Old 11-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

Converted to diesel. Don't those allow one to increase the cylinder pressure a lot? Hmmm...
Chris....
I can not like to see the engine be stored lot of years cause peeled sleeve, then i converted the engine to a diesel engine. No problem with cylinder pressure.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:45 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Good catch. I have a 46SF, simply awesome.
I was digging through some of my "junk" boxes today and discovered a NIB 46SF "ABC" (which I assume is the nickel plated version). What is the output like compared to a 46AX? What would be a good sport prop? 11 x 6? I run 15% nitro, 18% synthetic/castor blend. I'm thinking of using it in a Pizazz I have ready to build.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Konrad
Banned

Bruce
Bruce

Jens,
That photo is very similar to many engines I have seen with electroless plated liners. I have to admit none of my engines have failed showing such blatant plating failure. As most of the engine I have seen with this condition were run without my supervision I often can't say what the root cause was. May I ask under what operating conditions this happened?

Even my OS 40PS FAI Pylon engines did not fail like the cylinder shown (but they did fail). Then again I was using 80/20 FAI fuel with 100% castor oil.

All the best,

Konrad