Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum Summer Sale

Old 08-01-2003, 12:35 AM
Oregon Craig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum Summer Sale

Hey, what happened? No good ol' Magnum Summer Sale this year? I love my .46 XLS and would buy another one, but at 90.00, they really aren't the bargain they used to be. Here it is August, and the September magazines are out, and no hint of a Magnum Summer Sale. Oh well. Sigh.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:00 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't buy any this year either.... I kept watching and comparing but no sale.

Maybe with the new XLS series of engines, they sold so good that they didn't need a sale? The XLS series are super good runners.

Enjoy (something else?)

Jim
Old 08-01-2003, 02:50 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

N7 and Jim:

I get irritated about Magnum prices too. Love the engines, but if you check the parts lists you'll find every part of the XLS 40 will interchange with the XLS 46 except the piston and sleeve, and the head.

They say the crankcases do not interchange, but the only difference is one says "40" and the other says "46."

This being the case, where the @#$ do they get off charging $20 more for the 46?

The 46 uses less brass, with the thinner sleeve, the piston has just a little more aluminum. The brass costs more, so the 46 really should cost less than the 40 to produce.

And the 46 price should be lower, or at least no higher, than the 40.

Bill.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:09 AM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

You're payin' for the SIZE difference.....
Old 08-01-2003, 06:21 AM
William Robison

CaptK:

The "Size Difference" is empty space, with nothing in it (at the time of purchase) but air.

If you are happy to pay $20 for six tenths of a cubic inch of air, come see me. I'll sell you cubic MILES of air.

Bill.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:12 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CID

William,

It is six one hundredths...
The guys who sell the engine to you make $20 more profit.
In fact, a 1.2 shouldn't cost significantly more than a similar design .049... Maybe it does cost more to ship.

Why should a 350 CID Small Block Chevy cost more than a 265? Well, in "short block" form it didn't, the last time I looked.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:16 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Back 40 years ago a 327 chevy cost $500 more in a new car than a 283 and I'm sure it cost no more to make one than the other.

In the late 90's, you could buy a all new 350 chevy complete engine for $1195 whereby a 4 cylinder Chevy 2.3 engine was over $2000. I suppose that had to do with supply and demand?

Anyway, are you not willing to pay more for more power in a model engine? They are just playing the salesman's game. Charge what the market will stand?

Jim
Old 08-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Man, people are just never happy, are they?

Truth of the matter is, the only difference between an .10 and a 1.6 is the materials. The engineering and manufacturing costs are approximately the same across the board.

However, we as human beings are conditioned to think that if something is bigger, it should cost more, and if something is smaller, it should cost less. The price schedule of the engines reflects that conditioning. It's just when you "thinking people" start that it gets messy
Old 08-01-2003, 12:39 PM
maxtenet

It's not just Magnum. .40's are price leaders because it is a popular size. Many times .40's cost the least of a whole manufacturers range of engine sizes. It's a "marketing strategy", but I don't know if it works.

Max
Old 08-01-2003, 12:46 PM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

It is a simple matter of whatever the market will bear.....
Old 08-01-2003, 02:22 PM
William Robison

Hey people:

No argument about "What the market will bear," I just don't think the market should have to bear it.

But if I were selling it I too would consider price against volume of sales and set my retail price accordingly.

But since I'm buying I'm going to fuss, thank you.

Bill.

PS: Dar, you're right. I misplaced the decimal point. And being an order of magnitude less than I stated that makes the price on the cubic miles of empty air go up an order of magnitude when I sell them to CaptK. Haw. wr.