Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Evo 61nx vs O.S. 65AX

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 12:32 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Evo 61nx vs O.S. 65AX

If the plane will take a regular size 60 then to me there no reason to not put the OS 75-95 ax same size bolt pattern. As far as the eve engine go I will never buy them because of the crank pin failures........

OS Hanno Special man I loved that engine. I had one gave it away to a club when I moved to Cali. Now they are over 400 bucks for them. If you guys every find one buy it...
Old 01-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Konrad
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: blw

Parts are about 40% of what OS charges.

The liner has fairly hard chrome that takes a few tanks to start loosening up. OS uses a nickel plate process.

Performance of any Evo glow engine that I've seen beats OS. Be sure to run a hotter plug than the OS 8.

I know these opinions will step on toes, but I'm being honest.
Is it true that chrome takes longer to break in than nickel? And has OS gone back to using nickel in their cylinders? The last time I read one of their sales sheets (its been awhile) they were marketing a trade mark term ABL. Is this really the same as ABN? How do you know that OS is using nickel.

All the best
Konrad
Old 01-01-2011, 12:38 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

i heard they were still chrome...
Old 01-01-2011, 12:55 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ABL = ABN
Old 01-01-2011, 01:26 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Hey thanks Konrad for helping me rephrase my last post, you’re right.

ORIGINAL: w8ye

ABL = ABN
That's interesting to see Tower specs use both phrases in different engine lines, case in point http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBZ02 Nickel in this case, must be a single layer then and not the "advanced" double layer noted in ABL?
Right from Tower, "Advanced Bi-Metallic Liner. This process uses a double layer of plating material, rather than one thicker layer. This helps the metal to bond to the cylinder, and is more durable. Also, the plating process is more consistent, resulting in a more precise fit between piston and sleeve, for better compression, longer life."
Old 01-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I flew several brands of engines in the last 9 years, having more success with some better than others. The OS is the benchmark to rate other engines by. Thunder Tiger is adequate, but the FX61 did outlast it. Super Tigre has as much power, but break in took a long time. I had bad experienced with GMS, Evo, Tower, Magnum, and ASP in this size. That's a lot of wasted money to try it and see. What I like about the FX61 is the variety of fuels and props run well on it, you can mount ANY aftermarket muffler on it and easily tune it again in seconds, and other engines just for some reason, refuse to be that user friendly. It's no NovaRossi, but it never was intended to be one. It's a very forgiving engine for any sport plane you can throw at it. You can concentrate on your plane, not worrying about the engine transitioning bad one day, it just is a consistent engine every day. For in cowl planes, pitts muffler, I wouldn't use anything else.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Reson7
My Feedback: (4)

When I say User-friendly I mean, if you look at the Evo engine, I don't think that it clearly states anything on breaking in the engine, I'm an intermediate pilot but am basic with glow engines, relied on one guy to help me out, that didn't work, so now its on me, on my recently purchased Saito 100GK the manual was so much better than the EVO, detailed information on everything including break-in, I find that much more user-friendly than the EVO
Old 01-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Konrad
Banned

ABL = ABN
W8ye,
For years OS and her apologist have been denying that fact! I posted many time that I did an chemical analysis on the then new ABL and found it was nickel. You should have heard the noise (I would use another name but this is a family rated sight) a got. Most thinking that OS had some new proprietary plating. Other than my analyses do you have confirmation from a secondary source as to my and that of others that ABL is in fact the same as properly applied electroless nickel? Like I said I only did a chemical analysis. I did not look at the micro structure of the plating as I knew nickel was not suitable for my application. Again nickel is not suitable for my engine but it may be adequate for the sport flier.

Again thanks for confirming what I already knew years ago.

All the best,
Konrad

P.S.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE HYPE TEXTED LINK IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT BY THE AUTHOR FOR ANY PRODUCT OR BRAND!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: rambler53

Hey thanks Konrad for helping me rephrase my last post, you’re right.

ABL = ABN
That's interesting to see Tower specs use both phrases in different engine lines, case in point http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBZ02 Nickel in this case, must be a single layer then and not the ''advanced'' double layer noted in ABL?
Right from Tower, ''Advanced Bi-Metallic Liner. This process uses a double layer of plating material, rather than one thicker layer. This helps the metal to bond to the cylinder, and is more durable. Also, the plating process is more consistent, resulting in a more precise fit between piston and sleeve, for better compression, longer life.''

I was reading someone say “friends don’t let friends fly nickel†for years, so I started pulling my SF and FX engines apart to take a look. I have witnessed VF and FX engines with failures in the liner plating regardless of what ABL name OS gives it, it has happened to SOME of my OS engines. What percentage I can't say, but ONE I ran with a pipe (46) and ONE with a pitts muffler (61) that I flew heavily for about 5 years because I loved the plane it was bolted to. Somewhere in that period of time it peeled, but ran fine anyway going undetected, until I actually took the engine apart.
I've posted this picture many times, it's the only one I have a photo of a peeled nickel liner (Pumped VF 61 on an Ultra Sport 60). I never saw this happen on a true ABC engine.

[img][/img]
Gee I wonder who that lone wolf could have been?

Lets keep trying to to bring the truth to light be it favorable or uncomfortable. The Truth shall prevail. Hopefully before any more quality engine OEMs fail.

To be fair I have rarely if ever (many engines I look at aren't mine so I can't say their history prior to failure was fully understood) seen properly applied electroless nickel fail in a sport application. Please note the two key terms, properly applied and sport application

All the best,
Konrad
Old 01-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: RcPlaneLover777

When I say User-friendly I mean, if you look at the EO engine, I don't think that it clearly states anything on breaking in the engine, I'm an intermediate pilot but am basic with glow engines, relied on one guy to help me out, that didn't work, so now its on me, on my recently purchased Saito 100GK the manual was so much better than the EVO, detailed information on everything including break-in, I find that much more user-friendly than the EVO
What do you mean by "intermediate pilot"? How many engines and types have you run. I suspect that you are still a novice modeler but a fair pilot that can keep a ship out of the dirt. So by "user friendly" you are look for an all inclusive operator's manual? I think you found one of the best, in this site. A few of the members are truly engine experts. They can help you far more than any manual can.

All the best,
Konrad
Old 01-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Reson7

I'm a sport pilot, I have 3 nitros and 4 electrics.
Its not just the manual, I brought this forum out so I could get opinions on both engines, and I sure have, but I still have not decided if I want to go with the EVo or O.S.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Konrad

When I say User-friendly I mean, if you look at the EO engine, I don't think that it clearly states anything on breaking in the engine, I'm an intermediate pilot but am basic with glow engines, relied on one guy to help me out, that didn't work, so now its on me, on my recently purchased Saito 100GK the manual was so much better than the EVO, detailed information on everything including break-in, I find that much more user-friendly than the EVO
What do you mean by ''intermediate pilot''? How many engines and types have you run. I suspect that you are still a novice modeler but a fair pilot that can keep a ship out of the dirt. So by ''user friendly'' you are look for an all inclusive operator's manual? I think you found one of the best, in this site. A few of the members are truly engine experts. They can help you far more than any manual can.

All the best,
Konrad

Thats funny because I actually think the EVO manuals are better than OS's manuals.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:38 PM
rambler53

What planes are your 3 glow engines on? Are you still owning 2 trainers and a Pulse XT 60?
Old 01-01-2011, 03:40 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I say User-friendly I mean, if you look at the Evo engine, I don't think that it clearly states anything on breaking in the engine, I'm an intermediate pilot but am basic with glow engines, relied on one guy to help me out, that didn't work, so now its on me, on my recently purchased Saito 100GK the manual was so much better than the EVO, detailed information on everything including break-in, I find that much more user-friendly than the EVO
The 2 strokes we are talking about really don't need much of a detailed or laborious break in. The OS is pretty much a crank and fly away engine. The Evolutions can be flown right away without problems, but it continues to break in and smooth out over the next few tanks of fuel.

The 4 strokes like Saito do specify a more detailed break in and run differently than 2 strokes. I agree that the Saito manual is good, but so are the OS and Evo manuals that I've seen.

edit for grammar
Old 01-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Reson7

mmhmmmm
Old 01-01-2011, 07:19 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Many in the hobby started out with glow, and shifted power choice to electric, using Hobby City as the same source you found your ignition engine and ASP engines. Many are praising how much easier it is now that they made the switch, no clean up, no tuning, no fuel costs, yadda yadda. Purchasing glow engines are my target at the swap meet, along with discontinued kits. Whatever my truck can carry, comes home with me as prices have never been better in the privately owned market that I regularly deal in, and use for almost all my hobby needs.

Now I understand. Thanks.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-01-2011, 07:21 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Now, for the record, I'm planning on obtaining said Evolution .61NX myself. Just for kicks.

Ed Cregger
For the 12' Telemaster, or Phoenix 5, or another one?

Just to have.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-01-2011, 08:05 PM
rambler53

Ah yes, I have many engines that fit in that category.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

i heard they were still chrome...
Who is still chrome?

All the best.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Reson7

Anyone here have a 75AX, same mounting dimensions as the 61FX, like the 65AX, and I think it uses the same process 65AX, any thoughts on it?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 AM
thedeeman

Yes, I have 2 75AXs mounted in some warbirds (in place of 61s). I bought them before the 65AXs were available. If you're thinking of a 65AX then better to spend the extra few dollars for the 75ax. The 75ax is an exact size/mount match for the OS 61 and 65. The 75ax dropped right in where there were OS 61s before. Didn't even have to recut the cowls. And the main reason is the 75AX has a bunch more power and spins a bigger prop. My warbids can get going at about 3/4 throttle. I rarely use full throttle on them since 3/4 is more than enough.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:40 AM
Reson7

I think I have made my decision, and will go ahead and purchase my first O.S. Engine, The 75AX, unless proven otherwise.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Go for it and let us know how it runs. Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A friend bought a 75AX and has been very pleased.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:35 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: carrellh

Ed, after I read your comments I looked it up.

There is a 60NX and a 61NX
60NX http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EVOE0600
61NX http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EVOE0611

The 60NX is a small case, light weight (17 ounces) design. They do not list a benchmark prop. Prop range listed is 10x7 - 13x6

The 61NX is the replacement for the 61NT. It is normal size and weight for a 61. HH says it has higher compression and more power than the NT. The benchmark prop is 12x6 @ 12000. Prop range listed is 11x7 - 13x7
I have a .61NX head on order for my 61NT. Looking at the parts lists for the 61NT and the 61 NX, they are the same except for the head. I am going to convert my NT to an NX for less than $10.00. I have a .36 and a .46 EVO also and like them. I have lots of OS also and like them, but I am not sure they are worth their cost.

Sincerely, Richard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.