Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Merlin Glow Plugs, did me right!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:32 PM
AraTidwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merlin Glow Plugs, did me right!

Hey guys,

I wanted to put out a good word for http://www.merlinglowplugs.biz. I read in an engine review I lost that it was a top performer among plugs, so I ordered two Merlin 2003 HD plugs. I have an OS 55AX with the baffle removed and since I did this it has a horribly rich midrange. I tried an OS #7 and OS A3/#6. The A3/#6 ran best but it would still sometimes wet-out the glow plug in the rich midrange. I then ran a Merlin 2003 HD plug and the engine ran considerably better and never put the plug out. I emailed the guys at Merlin to thank them and they told me I need to run a four stroke plug, a Merlin 2011 and said they would send me one for FREE... They did do that and the engine ran PERFECT with that plug and I flew it for about 30 flights until the ***muffler fell off*** and burned out the plug. I only got4 or 5flights with an OS-F before it burned out.

I highly recommend these guys, they make excellent plugs, offered excellent advice and even some free product to back it up. I just wanted to get the word out because these guys did me right.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 PM
MrGreenSpeed

Default RE: Merlin Glow Plugs, did me right!

If You add a head shim the glow plug may last a lot longer.

It still sounds like there is a carb problem or tuning issue that may need to be addressed.

In My mind removing the muffler baffle shouldn't have that much affect on the midrange operation.

Hopefully some one that has more experience with the 55AX than I do will chime in.

There have bin reports of a few 55AX engines with the pressure nipple on the muffler clogging and causing tuning/running problems.

Good luck.

Jeff
Old 02-02-2011, 06:14 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knowing what kind of fuel and brand prop/size that you use may be helpful.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 PM
jeffie8696

Iknow Aldon Kelly the owner of Merlin personally and he is a great guy. Iam not surprised one bit at his generosity towards you.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 AM
C185Pilot
My Feedback: (25)

I had the same experience with Aldon. From experience I know that he stands behind his plugs. I have used them since he started sellling them at Toledo many years ago.

Mike
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 AM
AraTidwell

I am pretty good with tuning engines, I couldn't get the bugger to run right until I tried the Merlin plugs. It ran alright on an OS-F but the plug didn't last long. The Merlin 2011 plug that Aldon sent me for free worked the best and lasted the longest. I just wanted to spread the word to help get their name out. My engine runs great as is w/ the Merlin 2011 but it is about to get a Evolution 46-60 Performance tuned exhast (similar to Jett mufflers)
Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 AM
AraTidwell

ps its an APC 12x4 on Wildcat 15% all synthetic
Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 AM
jeffie8696

Iuse his 2010 plug to get my little Mag 30 FS to clear up the low end. It is a very hot 4S plug.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

That is the classiest looking and easiest to use site I have ever seen. And I love that Merlin decal. I ordered some to try.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:49 PM
jay1st

Hi guys
I use these plugs as well, they are great performers, and I really like the globee style plug.
Runs perfect on my West 51 for my MagnumR
I passed 2 big orders, love the stickers, butnever got a freebee
Old 02-03-2011, 12:56 PM
summerwind

Dub Jett ships all his engines with Merlin plugs.
i've yet to blow one.
the one in my BSE 50 is the same one the engine came with and has 2 gallons thru it now.
great plug!!
Old 02-03-2011, 05:51 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent an inquiry to them today (i.e. asking about recommendations for specific engines and conditions), and got a phone call in response within 30 minutes, with some sound advice regarding plug selection. I say sound, because he identified specific issues with each engine application in a way that told me he had experience and knew what he was talking about. I just placed an order for 18 plugs.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 AM
RVman

I'm using merlin plugs as well and they are working great for me.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:43 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered plugs specifically for the Jett .50, OPS .65's, and K&B 7.5's. Plus a couple for other stuff.

Considering what we have to pay at retail up here at the LHS for other brand name plugs (land of the $14 OS "F"), I was happy to shell out $4.95 - $5.95 ea plus $7 shipping.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

I have 2 OS 55's engines both on 3-D profile type planes and both with the baffels removed and use the stock NO.8 Plug that came with the engines neither have an issue running at any speed. Removing the baffels as well as a clogged nipple will decrease the tank pressure making it leaner not richer. So I have to say the needles are still some what out of whack. The use of a hotter plug to cure a midrange issues is as a rule a bandaid, however it does work so so but you pay the price in fuel consumtion.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: Cyberwolf

...Removing the baffels as well as a clogged nipple will decrease the tank pressure...
Cyberwolf,

Think about this for a second; if the pressure nipple in the muffler is completely clogged, the engine will not be able to run for more than 20-40 seconds, or so, because the un-vented tank will starve it of fuel.

If the nipple is only partially clogged, it will have no effect. A .55 engine consumes less than 1 cc of fuel per second.
Only this amount of exhaust gas is required to replace this used fuel; and an orifice as small as 0.05 mm in diameter, should be more than enough.

EDIT: Typo.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks Dar but I believe were talking about a 55 AX not a 25.
Where the baffle is removed there is less pressure to start with and if it's partially blocked off less volume can pass though it, although if theres is enough it can and will pressurize the tank, but if there is not enough it makes sense to me that it would make it lean or like you said not run for long. I really doubt that is the issue here though.
Some carbs are terrible at midrange as we all know but the OS line of carbs is not one of them. They have excellent throttle through out the entire range of operation, at least all of mine do, including the 2 61 FX's I have heard complaints about a fat midrange and they all have the NO.8 plug it's a thread to short but seems to work for me.
Yep MAN did an article on the 61FX and determined it was a carb error and had a fat mid range , so it must be a fact cause they said so EH????? But you wouldnt know by the way that both of mine run.
I still say the problem is in the needles or maybe the tank height.
I have seen more than one experenced RC person that avoids the LSN like the plague. And all of my OS engines has come out of the box slobbering rich on the LSN.
I think I will look into the Merlin plugs, sounds like a good source of plugs in the future.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 PM
DarZeelon

OOPS!

A slip of a finger... just corrected it.

If a .55 engine needs just 1 cc of gas per second, to enter the tank through the vent; then for a .25 the orifice can be even smaller.
I do get what you are attempting to relay here.

Removal of the baffle from the muffler, will be more effective reducing the fuel-pressure in the tank, the more open the throttle is...
So, if you removed it, you'd need to open the high-speed needle, to compensate both for the higher fuel consumption (the engine will flow more fuel/air mix); AND for the lower fuel-pressure.

Because fuel-pressure at part-throttle settings is lower; removal of the baffle from the muffler, affects it to a lesser extent...
You do need to compensate for this by opening the low-speed needle somewhat, though.

With the engine idling, the reduction in fuel-pressure on account of the baffle's removal, is minuscule. So, the fact that you opened the low-speed needle somewhat to compensate the mid-range, should make the idle mixture too fat...
This was not the condition encountered by Dave Gierke in the MAN 05/03 engine shootout. The OS.61FX he tested, was rich in the mid-range; not at idle.

Had he removed the baffle from the muffler of the bone-stock engine he tested, the condition might have been better; because mid-range fuel pressure would have been lower (with nearly no change at idle)...

Perhaps that carburettor and its mixture control valve, were initially designed for running with lower back-pressure and fuel-pressure...
And thus the stricter noise regulation imposed upon us, made the older carburettor design (fuel-curve) obsolete; requiring a 'recurved' low-speed needle, which OS did not want to bother investing in...