Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Exhaust temp vs solder

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:17 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Exhaust temp vs solder

Thanks for all the advice. I am thinking it over.

I'm thinking about trying some higher temperature soft solder before I go to silver solder or brazing. If I can pick up 100 degrees (450 vs 350) that may be all I need. If that does not work then I will have to move on to silver solder or brazing. Cleaning soft solder off is no big deal, so I can afford to get it wrong. I suspect that cleaning silver solder / brazing material off will be difficult, so I will only get one chance to get it right.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:22 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Exhaust temp vs solder

Well, it took me months to get around to it, but today I successfully brazed on the flange.

I picked up a Bernzomatic brazing/welding torch kit from Home Depot - one bottle of propylene, one very small bottle of oxygen and hoses and nozzle assembly. A little practice on some scrap steel and then on to the muffler. Used up the entire bottle of oxygen. I was surprised at how much heat brazing requires compared to soft soldering. There is no way I would have ever got it hot enough with a propane torch.

So, I had fun and the flange is well attached to the muffler. The engine will wear out long before that joint ever fails.

In hind sight it would have been cheaper and easier to pay a welding shop do it, but then I would have missed the new experience.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:54 PM
nacodeblue
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldering exhaust

I know this is an old thread but for future situations you might find this useful, are used it to modify a gas helicopter exhaust outlet for a friend has held up for three years now.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-rod-pack-of-8

Originally Posted by JPMacG
I learned today that the exhaust temp of my Enya 50SS is hotter than the melting temperature of solder. I had soldered a muffler adapter onto a Soundmaster muffler to make it fit the Enya hole pattern. It worked great for several flights until I did a prolonged run at full throttle. Then the muffler came unsoldered from the adapter in mid flight and hung on by the pressure line. It was actually pretty entertaining to watch.

Can anyone recommend a better way to attach the muffler to the adapter plate? How about JB Weld? Silver solder or braze?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2020, 06:10 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to know that the aluminum rod stands up. I have a fair bit of similar stuff from work when they cleaned house. I believe it is mostly zinc. Haven't tried it lately. As for the OP if he is still reading things, I gave up on the oxygen tanks from Bernzomatic. Just too costly for what you get. I have quite a few propane torches from garage sales and new purchases over the years, and found the torches with a big hole at the base put out quite a bit more heat than the others, and the propylene (sp) gas adds to the heat too. I do mostly plumbing repairs with them, but it will get most stuff red hot quickly.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:36 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

The "Turbo Torch" style put out a nice, concentrated flame. The propylene " MAPP" gas torches are a lot hotter than the propane type.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:49 PM
walishahid333

Exhaust pipes can become damaged over time due to corrosion or impact damage. When this happens, they can develop leaks which can lead to decreased performance and increased noise levels. In some cases, exhaust pipes can also become blocked, which can cause the engine to overheat.If you have a damaged exhaust pipe, you may be wondering if it is possible to solder it back together. The short answer is yes, you can solder the exhaust pipe, but there are a few things you need to know before you attempt this repair.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:52 PM
706jim

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Many years ago (1975) I made exhaust pipes for my Enya 45. Silver solder was absolutely necessary for this notoriously hot running engine.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:30 AM
walishahid333

Exhaust pipes can become damaged over time due to corrosion or impact damage .When this happens, they can develop leaks which can lead to decreased performance and increased noise levels. In some cases, exhaust pipes can also become blocked, which can cause the engine to overheat if you have a damaged exhaust pipe, you may be wondering if it is possible to solder it back together. The short answer is yes, you can solder the exhaust pipe, but there are a few things you need to know before you attempt this repair.