Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Is this product safe on engines?Is this brand any good?

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Is this product safe on engines?Is this brand any good?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Turqui
My Feedback: (139)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this product safe on engines?Is this brand any good?

I have a few used 2 and 4 stroke engines that im going to store for a while; so they have been for a few days sitting inside a container with ATF; the next step is to flush them with this product i purchased at home depot; how good and safe is this product:;S-L-X denatured alcohol made by: klean-strip? Is this 100% alcohol?
The step after the flush is marvel mistery oil for air tools and storage.
So this alcohol y puechased is any good? Safe?
Thanks rverybody.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:25 PM
earlwb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is this product safe on engines?Is this brand any good?

According to the MSDS sheet http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/msds/605435.pdf

it is safe to use on model engines as a cleaner or solvent, but ethanol and methanol tend to absorb moisture right out of the air, so it is not good for storing a engine in it.
it does evaporate fast, so one can use it as a solvent before they use their favorite oil afterwards to oil the engine with.

I don't remember if it'll flush out the ATF fluid though. You may need a petroleum distillate product like kerosene or something.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Turqui

Thanks for this information but because of my limited knoledge; its hard for me to understand what these numbers mean; so; acording the information you sent; is the product safe and recomended? Or you have any other suggestion? Thanks.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Your alcohol is flammable and burns without a flame. Don't use it around your stove, water heater, or furnace or anywhere there's a spark or open flame.

I never use alcohol or gasoline as a solvent. There are too many good cleaners. My preference is Stoddard Solvent.

Just my 2ΒΆ worth,
Dave Olson
Old 05-20-2011, 02:00 PM
cutaway

The numbers mean its (largely) a mix of methanol and ethanol with unspecified water content, which worst case could be as high as 10% or as low as 0% (highly unlikely, almost impossible). The first time you open the jug, it'll start absorbing more water from the atmosphere and continue doing so every time the cap is off until used up.

Its a better (less water content) mix of alcohols that the 70% isopropyl commonly found in drug stores.

As for safety, I see nothing in that MDS that would indicate its any more dangerous than a jug of fuel or a mason jar full of high grade moonshine. I wouldn't use the stuff as a bodywash or shampoo due to the Keytone component.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Turqui

So is denatured alcohol the best product to use flushing an engine? Or you guys have other suggestions?
Thanks.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:21 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Why flush out the good oil? Leave the ATF or oil on/in it. Let it drain inverted

The alcohol, even if pure, will have water in it once the cap is open. It's hygroscopic and pulls water right out of the air.
Then the alcohol evaporates fast leaving the water. The cooling affect from the alcohol evaporation might even cause a little condensation of water.

I leave them oiled.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Phoenixangel

If you are going to store an engine, do not flush it with alcohol first. That will insure that it will draw moisture. Leave it oiled.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:14 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: Scar

I never use alcohol or gasoline as a solvent.
No guts no glory. I love the risk. It's great story telling when things go awry and 3 months later you finally get your eyebrows back again.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Turqui

So a mixture of atf and after a few days drying a dose of marvel mistery oil then inside a bag and that will do the trick?
What about glow plug; with or with out it?
Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: Turqui

So a mixture of atf and after a few days drying a dose of marvel mistery oil then inside a bag and that will do the trick?
Thanks again.
To make clearly: First flush the engine with alcohol to remove moisture in the engine then oil inside in the engine with Marvel Mystery oil or ATF. Then put in the plastic bag and store away. With glow plug, of course..

Also do not wait in few days to dry out alcohol, it will absorb moisture inside the engine and make rust in steel parts. The alcohol will evaporate fast in short time, then oil the engine short after the engine has been flushed with alcohol.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:22 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Motorboy

Thanks again.
To make clearly: First flush the engine with alcohol to remove moisture in the engine then oil inside in the engine with Marvel Mystery oil or ATF. Then put in the plastic bag and store away. With glow plug, of course..

Also do not wait in few days to dry out alcohol, it will absorb moisture inside the engine and make rust in steel parts. The alcohol will evaporate fast in short time, then oil the engine short after the engine has been flushed with alcohol.

If one uses Marvel Air Tool Oil, no preflush is necessary. This type of air tool oil absorbs moisture and binds it up so that it is harmless to your engine. How to tell? The normally red color will shift to a yellow to a chartreuse color with the more moisture it absorbs.

Additionally, this air tool oil is great for long term storage IF the engine is stored in an air tight container, such as a pickle jar with a metal lid. If the air tool engine immediately turns yellow, then flush it out with keroene and then fill the engine with air tool oil again. When you operate the engine again, remove the glow plug and hold a rag over the glow plug hole, then blip the engine over several times with an electric starter. When the engine stops spitting oil, replace the glow plug, fuel the tank and run the engine as you normally would. Works for me.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

I like Marine engine fogging oil (Pennzoil, CRC,...) The spray can is handy as it actually pumps oil in the engine under pressure. Works on both 2 or 4 strokes. You're local auto parts store should have it.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:08 AM
pe reivers

Here is my sequence:
1) Flush with clean fuel
2) heat the engine with paint stripper to evaporate all methanol.
3) squirt in WD40 and some ATF. Shake well, don,t stir.
4) Put the engine in a box or bin until I need it.

P.S.
If in step 1 you use the denaturated alcohol instead of fuel, that is OK as well
Old 05-21-2011, 04:52 AM
carrellh

The alcohol you got is probably as good as any other. I have used that brand for cleaning up excess epoxy as well as for cleaning oil from various things. I usually just use 90% isopropyl from the drug store because it seems to be easier on the skin.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:51 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

The term for storing an engine with oil is called "pickling."  Pickle oil is usually heavy weight oil.  So ATF, 3 in 1, compressor oils are all good for pickling.  I would not concern yourself about residual water but if you are concerned flush the engine with WD-40 then pickle it with your choice of oil.  WD-40 is at once a solvent and a water dispersant.  WD-40 is not repeat not a picling agent.

As others have said, I store my engines in baggies after well oiling them.  If I get a little Castor slugging, heat will take care of it in no time and the Castor will have protected the engine.  Just be careful of what you use with YS engines, some of their seals are sensitive.

Chip
Old 05-22-2011, 12:40 PM
spaceworm

I have a few used 2 and 4 stroke engines that im going to store for a while; so they have been for a few days sitting inside a container with ATF; the next step is to flush them with this product i purchased at home depot; how good and safe is this product:;S-L-X denatured alcohol made by: klean-strip? Is this 100% alcohol?
The step after the flush is marvel mistery oil for air tools and storage.
So this alcohol y puechased is any good? Safe?
Thanks rverybody.
Denatured alcohol (ethanol with methanol for denaturing) is not a solvent for ATF which is petro based. Kerosene would be better for flushing and does not absorb moisture like alcohol. I use Marvel Mystery Air tool oil for after run and storage. Or, sometimes I use ATF, but not Ford F ATF (Ref W8YE) for both. MM Air tool oil is also petro based and not disolvable in methanol in our glow fuel, but it will be flushed from the engine on short order from the first run after storage. Just make sure the crankcase and chamber are not loaded which could cause hydraulic block and damage to the con rod when starting. Or. flush the ATF or MM ATO with some light petro distallate before first start.

YS engines use silicone rubber for the pump/regulator diaphrahm and petro base after run or storage oils should not be used with these engines as it will destroy that diaphrahm.

BTW Methanol is very poisonous and strong suggestions are listed for keeping it off your skin or breathing the fumes. It caused severe gastric disturbances, blindness and death.

Rubbing alcohol (isopropanyl) is much safer, but not to drink. It absorbs water also, like all alcohols I know of.

BTW, I have know people that have stored full size V8 car engines in a drum of oil for storage. Pricey at today's oil prices.[]

Good luck.