Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Evolution Glow Engine Success Story

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution Glow Engine Success Story

I went out and flew my latest Hangar 9 Hellcat today with an Evolution 100 NX and a Bisson Pitts muffler. It sounded like an outstanding combination, and I was happy with the way it ran... rock solid from the start of the flight right up to the dead stick 30 seconds after takeoff! Crap! Luckily I was kind of in a downwind position and brought it in for a good landing, but I was worried why the engine quit. I have read so many horror stories here about how these engines are trash on the internet forums, and now here I was with a "punk" Evolution engine. That is, until I realized that I forgot to top off the fuel after the last run! Whoopsie. I must have checked everything 100 times... all except the stupid fuel. Never thought I would do that.

Anyway, the Hellcat is a great glider, and maybe one of Hangar 9's best flyers (as others have said), which is why the plane still exists. And after topping off I had 3 great flights without so much as a hiccup. Confidence was restored. Now some will label me a fan boy, but I really think that Evolution Engines get more bad press than they deserve. I have many and they all run great! That's not to say they are perfect though, as I have had some difficulties with a couple of them (bad factory glow plugs and a 60 that hates to be inverted for example), but not really any more troubles than I have had with other brands. I replaced a balky OS 46fx, yes an OS engine, that was on a World Models P-51 with an inverted Evolution .46 and it ran like a top (until the day someone shot me down). You do have to be careful with aftermarket mufflers (not enough back pressure, which is what the Evo carbs need to operate well) and take off all that "set-right" beginner needle valve junk, but after that they seem good to me.

And now for my rant Now I know some will think that this must be one of the few "good" ones that squeaked through on the assembly line, but most difficulties people have with these engines I believe are due to poor tuning. I hear the same thing about Super Tigre engines a lot, too. Those darned Super Tigres are "hard to adjust", or "won't hold a tune", or "are just a cheap, crap engine". Hogwash! The absolute best running engine I have (2 stroke) is a Super Tigre G90 Chinese version that I bought from someone for $45 who said it was impossible to tune. To hear this engine run is sweet 2 stroke music and it has NEVER, EVER QUIT ONCE on me. Hand flip starting all day, dead reliable on Omega 10%. Must be one of those few "good" ones, too. I guess I could go on and on, including my Magnum/ASP engines. I guess what I am trying to say is that I get tired of reading about people basically saying "all of brand "X" engines suck because I couldn't get mine to run right" or they cost less than "brand Y". There are other good brands out there other than OS (had 4 and loved 3 of them) or Saito (have 5 and all are good).

I digress: I started this thread to ask others that have had positive experiences with Evolution engines to share their stories. I don’t want this to become a brand bashing thread. We have all heard plenty of bad…is there anybody with some good out there?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:54 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Evolution Glow Engine Success Story

You are right about the Evo 2 strokes being excellent engines. The 46NT puts out a lot of power.

I suspect that most complaints are due to poor tuning. Another problem is that Evolution doesn't put a recommendation for a hot plug like the A3 in the manual.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Firepower R/C

Evoution did have some problems with missing carb gaskets on 60NTs... that did cause a few headaches. Definitely not perfect, but not junk. After flying the Hellcat today I remember how much I like flying glow... the nature of the engines make flying more exciting, and the power to weight is nice, too.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:25 PM
johnz16

I've run nothing but OS, Thunder Tiger, and Saito. I bought my first Evolution 36 from a guy who insisted the thing wouldn't run right but for $50 buck I figured I would take it and put it in an uproar I was building. Long story short I flew the uproar for the first time today and the Evolution was rock solid. I'm not a great engine tuner but a couple of the guys in my club are and the thing is running like a champ. I don't know what the guy who owned it before me was doing but this engine has great power and was rock solid today. Best part is it only cost me $50 for a never flown engine.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:07 AM
blw

My first one is a .455 PTS engine that had taken a beating from a guy learning to fly. I've put close to 150 flights on it myself and it is probably the best engine I have. Tons of power. Simply won't quit running until you kill it.

I picked up a 36 from the same guy for $30. I haven't run it yet, but it is a low time engine.

I have put about 150 flights on a 46NT. It had noticeably more power than the 46FX right out of the box. I later bought 6 more for work and the quality is consistent.

These engines are easy to tune and are forgiving. Just put in an A3 range plug.

edit for grammar
Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

The most experienced modelers somehow work through problems quickly and never need to complain.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:39 PM
AERORICH73

Hi fellows: Just arrived on the website after a few days off, and noted this discussion on the Evolution engines. Back in August 2007, I purchased a 1994 Royal Aire 40T trainer ARF which had never been flown. It came with the Apha .445 engine, and servos. Really did not have much of an interest in this engine, but what the heck, I will just run it through the breakin on the test stand. It took me a while to remove all of the needle valve locks which then allowed me to adjust both settings. During the test stand run, the muffler kept coming apart; so from what another modeler suggested, I installed a 4-40 threaded rod through the muffler while removing the ring baffle. This fixed the muffler problem. Install the engine into a junk trainer that I had just repaired since there was a lot of assembly issues to correct on the Royal plane. This engine never let me down during all of the flights I made, nor gave up when crashing a few times during a landing. My only comment would be that the mid range fuel was a bit rich when going from full throttle to half throttle. Since I use an all castor fuel, with an extra ounce of oil, there was never a time I could not see where the plane was located. The exhaust smoke trail was alway there. As a retired aircraft mechanic, it has been my belief that going with an all castor oil fuel of over 20% gave more life to the hot running 2 cycle engines. Not sure what model the Evolution will go into next, as I am now running the JBA engine line.

Cheers!!!

Rich
Old 08-25-2011, 07:13 AM
blw

The mid range issues can probably be solved with an A3 plug. The carbs always need the low speed needle set, but is very forgiving after that.

The Alpha and .455 PTS are different engines. The Alpha is a .40 that can be turned into a .46NT. Evolution has done their best to make this confusing to everybody by their markings and marketing.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:10 PM
KLXMASTER14

This thread just underscores the pathetic state of the average R/C enthusiast today.

Many pilots "my" age grew up playing with Cox airplanes and cars. We could tune a needle valve at ten years old.

Enter the age of electric powered ARF's. Now not to start a "war on electrics" deal here, the many positives can be laid out, and have, probably to death. I am simply pointing out the DOWN side. Today, men lacking these essential skills show up at the field, and are quickly frustrated with their new engines, and further frustrated by the helpful fliers who also do not know which way to twist a needle. So the new flier quickly sells his glow set-up and goes electric. Never mind that electrics have their own quirks and minefields to the uninitiated.

Just one old timer's perspective.

BTW, I am amused by the same posers dogging my Magnums.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM
tiffitech

fully agree :-)

Regards,

HOlm
Old 08-25-2011, 11:19 PM
tipstall 131

Just my .02 on the Evo engine. I have a .36NT and the thing ran without so much as a hickup from day one. It had countless flights in two airframes with no maintenance other than cleaning the outside every now and then (castor blend). The first problem I ever had was when tho O-ring in the high-speed needle perrished. This was an easy replacement. Also, the tip on the A3 plug did make a huge difference in power and that slightly rich midrange was gone.

On the bit about the tuning of engines, I have a Super Tigre G51 and is the only one at the club who flies one. The first day out with the new engine I was struggling with the midrange and one of the club engine gurus strolled over to me and asked if he could help. He then asked what engine it was and I replied Super Tigre. He then said he couldn't help me and that I should rather buy OS because everybody else has them and they are much easier to tune. This I don't understand. After I had it tuned in about 15 or so minutes it was running fine with power equal to or even more than the .55 OS. Why then do I need to buy OS? I am very much a fan of the budget "underdog" engine and I will stay that way.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:35 AM
tiffitech

Regardless what engine it is, most threads here are about tuning problems or problems with air seals on the engines.
It seems, that people can't hear anymore what a engine wants, more fuel, less fuel, knocking and so on.
Next error is, that engines that are designed to run without or low nitro where run with fuel with high nitro content
since the LHS is selling that and nothing other. Problems with the height of the tank are next.

I'm a motor guy since I was a child and I can hear what's happening with an engine, not only glow engines, most people can't.

There are really not much engines that have big design flaws very old MDS Carbs for example, things like this can be resolved easily
by changing the carb, otherwise they are very good. There are major Manufacturers that had the same problems, so what..
I'm repairing and cleaning engines for a friend that is selling model related stuff on ebay, often OS engines coming in.
Trust me, there is really nothing that OS is making better than others, the biggest difference are the prices...

(what for that ugly nickel plating in the OS-Liners? Don't they have chromed taps in japan because of environmental issues what?
It looks like a patent related problem that OS is circumventing here..)

Regards,

Holm
Old 08-27-2011, 11:41 AM
AERORICH73

BLW: Boy you sure have it right about what size the Evolution Alpha engine is. Guess it really does not matter as long as the propeller keeps turning while airborne. Had my share of learning when trying to adjust the fuel with all the stops installed. Finally removed the set screw on the blue collar attached to the idle needle valve, and removed the excess idle fuel passing into the engine. After that, the engine did not need to run at 3000 rpms to land without a flame out.

cheers!!!

Rich
Old 08-27-2011, 11:47 AM
AERORICH73

blw: I was using a Fox hot 4 stroke glow plug to overcome the cold weather, and fuel oil content. The Sig 10% all castor had an additional ounce of Blendzall racing castor. The engine exhaust really had an nice smell to it with a good stream of blue smoke.

Cheers!!!

Rich
Old 09-15-2011, 06:32 AM
jwmav528

I have an evolution 120nx mounted 45° down.  The thing loves to backfire on me but with enough patience, I was able to get it running and get the carb tuned (I had to pull the set right stuff off of mine too).  It now runs like a champ but every now and then it will hiccup and give me backfire problems again.  I know that it is a tuning issue since the engine is very strong and reliable most of the time.  I am suspicious that I have the low speed needle just a bit too rich.  I am currently running 15% Wildcat premium blend (the premium means it has extra castor) with an O.S. type F plug.  I'm not sure about my plug choice since it is a 4-stroke plug and all, but it seams to backfire less and have a stronger idle.  Any suggestions?

P.S. The 120nx has similar mounting dimensions to a Super Tigre 90.  I have it in a 60-90 size extra currently and holy cow this thing will fly vertical forever!  I love this engine and I'm very close to having it tuned just right so any suggestions would be very welcome.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you are still running a bit rich on the low end. The other issue you might have with the 45 degree engine mounting is that your tank is too high in comparison with the centerline of the carb causing the fuel to readily 'flow' down hill and exagerating the low end needle setting. If you can drop your tank down in the fuselage so the centerline of the tank is in line with the centerline of the carb this should go a long ways towards a much more consistent needle setting.

Pete
Old 09-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Sport_Pilot

My main fault with EVO and Magnum and a few others is that they are made in a communist country.  I bought them for a while when it looked as though the country was evolving into a democratic country but that is no longer the case.  Note TT is still on my list because they are made in Tiwan not China.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:06 PM
tiffitech

To much politics here... The question is, if you want to spend extra money to get things from people that are not living in communist countries IMHO.

Kind Regards,

Holm
Old 09-21-2011, 11:56 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Chinese communism has evolved over the past 40 years to one party State sponsored capitalism. How things change.

Goods do not know where they are made. It is how well they are made. We all have political viewpoints but we are here on thi sofrum to discuss glow engines aren't we?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

Chinese communism has evolved over the past 40 years to one party State sponsored capitalism. How things change.
Wrong, only the party elite and a few who operate very small business get to participate in capitalism.  But its not really the economic system I have problems with.  It is the lack of freedom!  Very much a totalatarian state.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Firepower R/C

Well back to the point of the thread Politics aside, it is glad to hear some good about the Evolution line. I remember one time at my previous club I was flying a World Models .40 Rockwell P-51 with a Evolution .46NT and one of the not so nice guys walked up to me and complimented me on how well the engine was doing during some aerobatics. He said, " Man, that thing is fast. Did you stuff a .60 in there? I don't think your wings will last on that ARF goin' like that." I then told him no, it was a new .46. He then said, is it the "FX" (heh heh)? I said "No, Evolution .46". He asked more about the nitro content and the prop. 11-6 and 15%. He was dumbfounded and seemed almost upset at the sight and sound of this new engine... I however, had a very warm fuzzy feeling.[8D] Sick burn.

Rich
Old 11-03-2011, 04:53 PM
DIVERHERB

Sport Pilot, I think that you might be a little surprised at the amount of parts go into your "American made" items you buy, from cars down to your home appliances that are manufactured in China orNorth Korea.We are truely growing into a global economy wether we like it or not. For me I like my Super Tiger and Evolution engines even though they can be a little finicky at times [8D]

Old 11-03-2011, 06:00 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

this guy at the field was having a hell of a time getting a evolution engine to run, it would idle ok but it would always die when it throttled up...no matter how much i messed with the needles it didnt help.... so i fueled it up with my 0% 50-50 castor/synthetic mix and the problems vanished.....he was running magnum 15%....i think they just dont like the higher nitro (imo most engines dont....but to each their own) or i just cant tune 15% one of the two, but either way the engine ran great, flew the whole time at 1/3 throttle and it didnt die
Old 11-03-2011, 06:26 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I'll add some comments on my Evolution engines. In R/C I've used 36 and 46 evos for a few years. Prop is a 12.25x3.75 APC on 3D models . Note that prop is used on both engines. They were consistant one flip starters and after about 3 flights settled into a very reliable idle with good transition after a low needle adjustment. The models have been flown for years and we changed the plug on one after about 3 years and the other after about 2. The fuel is Cool Power 30% heli fuel. Simply put u,ing a high castor fuel is really not necessary or desireable .
For C/L flying I use a Evo 36 run strictly on Cool power oOega fuel and it also is consistant and has never missed a beat. Love to buy these from frustrated modellers, An endless supply of quality motors form modellers who really don't know beans about engines.
The new evo 60 NX C/L engine at $139.00 is probably one of the best bargains that I have bought in quite awhile.
The point is that there are very few bad engines on the market anymore. Common sense makes all of them winners
Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Firepower R/C

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213

this guy at the field was having a hell of a time getting a evolution engine to run, it would idle ok but it would always die when it throttled up...no matter how much i messed with the needles it didnt help.... so i fueled it up with my 0% 50-50 castor/synthetic mix and the problems vanished.....he was running magnum 15%....i think they just dont like the higher nitro (imo most engines dont....but to each their own) or i just cant tune 15% one of the two, but either way the engine ran great, flew the whole time at 1/3 throttle and it didnt die

Maybe he had some bad fuel? That has happened to me, and it gave me a fits until i figured it out.

On a side note- I want to try more JBA engines, too. I read nothing but good about them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.