Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Choosing an Exhaust System for Nitro Car Engine

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Choosing an Exhaust System for Nitro Car Engine

Old 10-25-2011, 06:16 PM
bhughes89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing an Exhaust System for Nitro Car Engine

Iapologize if this has been asked before, but I have been having troubles finding anything on the interwebs that has explained this to me, so here Iam asking the RCUexperts.

How does one go about choosing an exhaust system for a nitro-powered vehicle?I feel like there are many variables that affect this decision, such as:engine size, exhaust location on engine (rear for most car engines), engine manufacturer, car scale, and probably most importantly the car layout, especially the available space for the manifold and muffler. From what I have seen, mufflers and manifolds both come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, so how do I choose the right one of each?

Let's say i have a nitro powered car and engine picked out. How would the RCUexperts proceed to choose a muffler and manifold?Is it possible to make all these choices online?(the nearest shop to me is more than a half hour away, and it is the only one within hours)

Please satisfy my curiosity, RCU!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:23 PM
kenh3497

Default RE: Choosing an Exhaust System for Nitro Car Engine

I would go to the car and buggy section and ask this question if it were me...

Ken
Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK if you buy any RTR (Ready To Race) car then it'll have the engine and muffler supplied. Woops, car guys like to call the muffler a "tuned pipe" .
Here's the link to the car engines forum. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_269/tt.htm
Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 PM
bhughes89

ORIGINAL: downunder

AFAIK if you buy any RTR (Ready To Race) car then it'll have the engine and muffler supplied. Woops, car guys like to call the muffler a "tuned pipe" .
Here's the link to the car engines forum. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_269/tt.htm
right, i figured that. what i'm looking to do is get a kit, which is usually just a rolling chassis, and supplying my own engine and exhaust, hence wondering how to choose the exhaust.

funny you posted the forum link haha. i couldnt decide whether to cross post in that forum or the general car talk forum...

Old 10-26-2011, 06:55 AM
asmund

It`s quite easy. You choose exhaust for 1/10 or 1/8 depending on your car and size of engine of course. You will know if you have side or rear exhaust and choose exhaust accordingly. The exhaust systems are marked for use with .12 engines. 15-18 engines or .21 (also any bigblock up to about .30)

It really isn`t as difficult as it first seems. To choose the EXACT right one that will give you the absolute most power will take some trial and error (get more than one system)