Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Need new glow starter - AA, SubC, C or D Cell?

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Need new glow starter - AA, SubC, C or D Cell?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need new glow starter - AA, SubC, C or D Cell?

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Check out the RCAT system you won't be dissappointed.
+1

Bruce
Old 03-24-2013, 09:59 AM
bjbellino
My Feedback: (176)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been using a AA glow starter for quite a while, they are from Tower at $10 or so and are an aluminum case with the end that unscrews and to replace the one AA dry cell battery. Very simple and it works well. Does away with the chargers and remembering to charge the night before flying. I carry a 4 pack of AA energizers and when one fails, simply replace it and fly. Guess a person could go rechargeable, be here we go again with chargers, etc. These glow starters are part of the Keep It Simple Stupid philosophy, works for me.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Maybe I have super cells. I can run my NiCd drivers two weeks after a charge and be able to run all day long. For some reason, these NiCds hold a charge much better than my NiMH packs/cells.

If my sub c cells ever croak, I'll get a LiPo driver. I don't see that happening anytime soon though. It is good to know the pricing is better on LiPo stuff now.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:14 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

I also use the McDaniel Ni-starter, the one with the Meter, and I love it. I have a spare that I now carry, only because I got it in a package deal of someone getting out of the hobby.. Before then, I was perfectly happy with the one Ni-starter, and having my power panel glow igniter output as a back up..
Craig.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 PM
mikegordon10

RCat all the way. You'll never look back.
http://www.rcatsystems.com/rc.php
Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r
I just don't see the need to use LiPo or to get carried away with a glow driver. If you're killing a NiMH or NiCd in a few hours or within one day, something's wrong.
With the NiMh and NiCd batteries the problem is that they need to be fully charged, you can't just charge it one week and then use it another week. T
If your engines are tuned up when you go to the field, the glow driver is only attached to the plug for half a minute or so. Otherwise the glow driver gets run down while the operator putzes around. No glow driver won't run down after being hooked up to the plug for an extended period of time.

CR
Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Charley

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r
I just don't see the need to use LiPo or to get carried away with a glow driver. If you're killing a NiMH or NiCd in a few hours or within one day, something's wrong.
With the NiMh and NiCd batteries the problem is that they need to be fully charged, you can't just charge it one week and then use it another week. T
If your engines are tuned up when you go to the field, the glow driver is only attached to the plug for half a minute or so. Otherwise the glow driver gets run down while the operator putzes around. No glow driverwon't run down after being hooked up to the plug for an extended period of time.

CR
Without stating the obvious, that's what I was insinuating.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:13 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your engines are tuned up when you go to the field, the glow driver is only attached to the plug for half a minute or so. Otherwise the glow driver gets run down while the operator putzes around. No glow driverwon't run down after being hooked up to the plug for an extended period of time.
The NiMh glow driver gets run down when they are lying still on a shelf and they will never give you a full 1.5V, even straight from the charger.
Both these issues are solved with a Lipo-battery driver.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:21 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

The NiMh glow driver gets run down when they are lying still on a shelf and they will never give you a full 1.5V, even straight from the charger.
Both these issues are solved with a Lipo-battery driver.
You're basically saying that we all need a LiPo glow driver to get a full 1.5v to the glow plug. Do your engines not start if your glow driver is only giving up 1.2-1.4v? Mine will. My engines will even start if the plug only sees 1.1v.

I guess I better put an order in with Tower.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:30 AM
Mr Cox

Not everything is black or white. I have several NiMh driver from before but the Lipo ones are better as they are infact a driver and not just a battery.
With a slightly over primed engine or cold weather you will notice a difference. Most people that have used the regular power panel drivers (12V) and compared these to the handheld NiMh batteries will know what I mean.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Not everything is black or white. I have several NiMh driver from before but the Lipo ones are better as they are infact a driver and not just a battery.
With a slightly over primed engine or cold weather you will notice a difference. Most people that have used the regular power panel drivers (12V) and compared these to the handheld NiMh batteries will know what I mean.
OK, so the thing has a regulator on it; big deal. All batteries self-discharge, including LiPo batts. Some faster than others, is all. I've been starting my engines for several decades with NiCd and NIMH glow drivers, never missed three tenths of a volt.

Whatever you like and more power to ya!

CR
Old 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Rocketman_

For many years I have used the Sonic Tronics/ McDaniel NI-STARTER and have never been able to run one down in a day of flying unless it was at the end of its life, and that could take years. I carry a single Ni-Starter in my field box or my pocket.
However, for back up, I do have a Northeast Engineering glow plug driver wired to my 12 volt 12 amp-hr field box battery. This not a power panel but a sophisticated true glow plug driver that varies the current to the plug on demand and keeps lit in a flooded engine. I bought one many years ago when I saw it keeping a glow plug brightly glowing under water in a Pyrex baking dish at the Northeast Engineering booth at a WRAM show in White Plains, NY.

The Northeast Engineering glow plug driver is long gone from the market but it appears that the RCATS glow driver does the same thing and has additional features and is portable. For those folks who complain about having to recharge a Ni-Starter, the RCATS may be ideal because its 5200 mAh Li-ion battery may go for months without recharging.
You can watch the RCATS video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN8F41o_y4k

It is strange that there are complaints about having to recharge a glow battery but no complaints about having to recharge the transmitter and receiver batteries. Are there any complaints about repeatedly recharging A123 batteries at the field?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33065.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1867268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19387.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1867269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25648.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1867270  
Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"It is strange that there are complaints about having to recharge a glow battery but no complaints about having to recharge the transmitter and receiver batteries. Are there any complaints about repeatedly recharging A123 batteries at the field?" OK I'll go on record as complaining about all of those things. Transmitter and receiver batteries are a pain, because I will see a nice calm day, and by the time I top up the transmitter and receiver, (and glow battery) and drive to the field, the wind starts to blow. It does look like a lipo or LiFe may be the future option for me at least. I am tired of charging batteries if you maybe can tell. I could go on if anyone would listen.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:29 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

RCat all the way. You'll never look back.
http://www.rcatsystems.com/rc.php
Smart man! ......
Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: aspeed

... OK I'll go on record as complaining about all of those things. Transmitter and receiver batteries are a pain, because I will see a nice calm day, and by the time I top up the transmitter and receiver, (and glow battery) and drive to the field, the wind starts to blow. ...
Aspeed, that gave me a laugh. What a coincidence. A flying buddy called me this morning to go flying but I told him that I couldn't fly because I hadn't charged but I went to the field anyway. He was all charged up but by the time we got to the field it was windy and he didn't fly either.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 PM
petergomes786

Hi All,

I was wonderingevery body is talking of this glow driver to use either with NICD/NIMH or lipo .I was just thinking that most of we flyer have 1 or 2 or 3 cell LIPO batteriesfrom1000to 3000mah or morewith us.

My question is why cant someone orglow plug mfg design aelectronic circuit"inbulit glow driver withstep downin voltage from7.4 or 11.1v to 1.5v "(voltage MUST not exceed 1.5v)where we can just attach a normal lipo batteryof 1300mah or of 2200mahwithlittle longer wire which could be connected to a glow clip

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Connected to a glow clip
http://www.advantagehobby.com/23412/HAN121/?pcat=441

other glow clip like on board glow driver
http://www.google.co.in/search?q=glo...w&ved=0CEUQsAQ

my basic idea is to use the lipo batteries which we normally have for longer reliability & durablityfor glow startingfor 2 or 4 stroke engine.

if there is something like this what I'm looking for ,pls let me know or send me the link.

Hope mfg keep a special note.

regards
Peter
Old 03-31-2013, 01:53 AM
Mr Cox

There are products out there, I guess the demand hasn't been high enough yet to make them more common or readily available.
Here is one example; [link=http://www.q-world.com.tw/eng/pviewitem1.asp?sn=658&area=14&cat=98#]glow driver[/link]

Edit; On the otherhand they seem to be sold out; [link=http://www.alphasportrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2317&language=en]Glow driver[/link]

Old 03-31-2013, 05:27 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is one available that is similar to that one at aerohobby.ca called the easyglow. It still has a cord on it, but can use pretty much any voltage battery that we are familiar with. I have dealt with him and had no problems. I got the picture from thread # 41. There was also a couple others that only use 12 v. Champion Hobby Q1109 glow plug driver, and Fastrax glow clip. They are all corded.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:56 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

i use a hot shot rechargeable starter. replaceable battery too.........RON
Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 PM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

With the NiMh and NiCd batteries the problem is that they need to be fully charged, you can't just charge it one week and then use it another week.
You can now. They're called Eneloops. Lots of clones, too - the cheapest I've found were from Hobby King.

I use Eneloops in my digicams. Charge, throw in camera, forget about it. Six months from now, I want to use the camera, it's still 90% charged.

For starting, I use Cyclon 2V cells (what used to come in those GloBee Fireplugs). I set them up with a dropping resistor and a meter, and use long 5 foot leads.

Iskandar
Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 PM
Mr Cox

Eneloops are great for low current applications, like the Transmitter, but they don't work well in high current applications due to their higher inner resistance.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Some time back I got an email from a pylon racer - he said they use a single Eneloop AA as the power source for their on-board glow drivers. They use special heavy-element plugs from Nelson that draw far more then the usual three amps. He said each cell would last the duration of the flight, they'd just swap the cells for the next flight. So apparently you CAN use them for high current applications, don't know how long they'd last though. There are comments on the Hobby King website from people who use their version to start engines (HK also makes a nifty AA sized glow driver).

Cameras aren't exactly low-current apps, either - they can draw an amp or two while writing to the memory card. Which is why alkalines won't work for more than a few shots before the internal resistance increases to the point where the camera thinks the batteries have had it.

Iskandar
Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Mr Cox

I'm only talking from my own experience, I've used both regular NiMh and Eneloops, and the Lipo driver is better on everything.