Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: K&B Sportster Club

Here are the ones I have

.28 that will be going in a scratch built Super Cub

.45 that will be going in a Sig plan built Sig Kadet Mark II

.65 will be ing in a scratch built low wing sport plane like the GP Super Sportsters.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89470.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1736911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28515.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1736912  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I would like to use my pair of .65's in something good sized, probably a warbird or something slow since the engines are far from speed demons.

My running Sportster .65 got my flat bottom scratchbuilt airboat to 30mph on a 13x6 APC prop.. Due to carb problems and flameouts, I had to swap it out for a Super Tigre S90K.

The base of the S90K carb is .034" smaller than the .65 carb. Isnt that bizarre?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:55 PM
AmishWarlord

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r
Since this is a new club and I feel left out since I dont have a club member number in the Enya, Fox, or ST clubs... can I be #4 if we do member numbers? [8D] (I know it is of zero importance but I dont care.. lol)

I wasn't planning on doing numbers since this is a weird off shoot of the main K&B club, if there is one on RCU.

But ya go for it.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait So what's the plane with the .65? Jim
buzzard bait, the plane is an old arf. Here is the thread. Rebuild and modification of a 15 year old ARF
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10675544/tm.htm
Idid not put any more pics or info, because I did not want to hijack this thread. But that will give you the info on the plane. When it is done I will post another picture here THAT ALSO SHOWS THE ENGINE.

This post is a little behind in replying to you buzzard bait as RCU was being a real snot. I gave up and went to bed.

There were only 4 post on this thread last night when I gave up on RCU. Now there are 27.
Thanks for the clubAmish. Way to go

Old 03-10-2012, 04:51 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, that is a real silk-purse-from-pig's-ear story! Nice work.

Yes RCU is such a pain these days I've been using RC Groups much more.

That plane should be a blast with the K&B .65.

Jim
Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 AM
flyingagin

Now a technical question.

Does anyone know what size the .65 mffler bolts are?
My muffler ran away during one of many moves around the country.
I am having to extend my muffler out. I found my original muffler adapter, and bought a second. So I have to go to Fastenal and some longer bolts. I think they need to be grade six or better bolts. Again if any one knows what grade muffler bolts normaly are chime in. Hardware staore stuff is way to soft, they will strecht and then you got a loose muffler. Even more so in my case.
I have to extend a good inch. So that makes for 3.25" bolts. I am not sure if the one bolt shown in the pictur is an original sportster .65 bolt or if it was just in my bin. So I can't trust that it's threads are correct.

Name:	Ca82517.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1737014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53883.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1737015  
Old 03-10-2012, 05:01 AM
buzzard bait

Since the hole spacing is the same as the K&B .61, I assume the bolts are too. I would just shoot a message to MECOA.

Jim
Old 03-10-2012, 05:02 AM
flyingagin

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

Wow, that is a real silk-purse-from-pig's-ear story! Nice work.

Yes RCU is such a pain these days I've been using RC Groups much more.

That plane should be a blast with the K&B .65.

Jim
Thanks Jim
I have been useing the other sites more and more but I have yet to do a build thread elswhere.

The plane should be a blast considering a .45 was just fine on it before, even with floats.
The sportster is less weight so less balance issues and I can prop more like a four stroke and not rip the wings off.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:03 AM
flyingagin

Will do buzzard bait.
I will fire one off now.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:21 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: earlwb
I happen to have four K&B .20 Sportster engines and a .65 Sportster engine too. I had originally planned to use the .20 engines on a Royal B-17 I was building but the framed up plane met its end when I was moving and got crushed in the process.
Would you consider selling one of your .20's or do you still have plans of flying all 4 of them?
edit: Also, your .65 has the big head fins on it. Must be an early model. Most of the newer-than-'90 engines have the short machined head fins.

edit #2 (while RCU will let me): Since this is a new club and I feel left out since I dont have a club member number in the Enya, Fox, or ST clubs... can I be #4 if we do member numbers? [8D] (I know it is of zero importance but I dont care.. lol)
I wasn't planning on selling some of them, as I was still thinking about building a 4 engine plane sometime But thanks for the interest.

They only have member numbers for the Saito Engine Club group. I think that no one else wanted to issue the numbers and track them for the other engine club groups.
Do you want to volunteer?

Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 AM
flyingagin

I happen to have four K&B .20 Sportster engines and a .65 Sportster engine too. I had originally planned to use the .20 engines on a Royal B-17 I was building but the framed up plane met its end when I was moving and got crushed in the process.
Would you consider selling one of your .20's or do you still have plans of flying all 4 of them?
edit: Also, your .65 has the big head fins on it. Must be an early model. Most of the newer-than-'90 engines have the short machined head fins.

edit #2 (while RCU will let me): Since this is a new club and I feel left out since I dont have a club member number in the Enya, Fox, or ST clubs... can I be #4 if we do member numbers? [8D] (I know it is of zero importance but I dont care.. lol)
I wasn't planning on selling some of them, as I was still thinking about building a 4 engine plane sometime But thanks for the interest.

They only have member numbers for the Saito Engine Club group. I think that no one else wanted to issue the numbers and track them for the other engine club groups.
I bet that would be a heck of alot of work. Picture me gimping away form that one.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:26 AM
earlwb

ORIGINAL: flyingagin

Now a technical question.

Does anyone know what size the .65 mffler bolts are?
My muffler ran away during one of many moves around the country.
I am having to extend my muffler out. I found my original muffler adapter, and bought a second. So I have to go to Fastenal and some longer bolts. I think they need to be grade six or better bolts. Again if any one knows what grade muffler bolts normaly are chime in. Hardware staore stuff is way to soft, they will strecht and then you got a loose muffler. Even more so in my case.
I have to extend a good inch. So that makes for 3.25" bolts. I am not sure if the one bolt shown in the pictur is an original sportster .65 bolt or if it was just in my bin. So I can't trust that it's threads are correct.

I think they are 6x32 screws. K&B wasn't doing much if any metric things with their engines at the time. Albeit they liked using the cc engine displacement moniker though. But I don't know if anyone makes them that long though. You might be able to use the 6x32 threaded rod and use long nuts. There is a special nut that looks like it is two or three deep, but one piece. I forget what they call it. I went to look for my engine to double check the muffler screw size but I can't locate it yet. it is around here someplace.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 AM
flyingagin

6x32
thnak you earlwb.
I am going to be near a Fastenal later today so I will check.
The more I think about it the more I think the one bolt I have just might be an original .65 bolt.
I will check its thread size also.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:52 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I understand, Earl. If you change your mind, let me know.

As far as numbers... I dont really care that much, but since this is going to me a somewhat limited group of people, (in terms of number of "members") I'd keep track if anyone wants a number since I think we might be a very select few that like these engines. Any thoughts, fellas?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:55 AM
buzzard bait

I wouldn't go to the trouble. Nice to have a place for knowledge and interest in these engines. That's enough.

thanks,

Jim
Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

I wouldn't go to the trouble. Nice to have a place for knowledge and interest in these engines. That's enough.

thanks,

Jim
You ruined my hopes and dreams! LoL j/k..
Old 03-10-2012, 06:20 AM
flyingagin

Just add " Club K&B Sportster Member " to you signature
Old 03-10-2012, 06:49 AM
AmishWarlord

It's amazing how RCU knows when you copy a post "It post right away" and when you forget to copy it ", doesn’t post and takes you back to an empty page.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 AM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all you Sportster fans,

Got 2 Sportsters, a 45 and 65. The 45 has never seen fuel. Many years ago built a Durabat and put an 40FP w\DDD head on it, . . . never could get it to balance so now it has the Sportster 45 on it. It did balance then, but still have never cranked it or flown the plane, . . . . I really don't like the slop in the control linkages.

When new the 65 was mounted on a Jeff Troy F16 trainer, . . . guess that was one of the 1st ARC's around. - it used a lot of Luan wood in construction. Have a pretty low opinion of that plane also, but did take it to be maidened once, . . . but on startup it got into my thumbnail & a couple of fingers, so that trip ended at the ER.

Both these were bought with budget constraints in mind, . . . and since bought DDD heads for both, thinking to make them act "bigger" with larger props. It's only recently that have begun to actually learn anything about the characteristics (thanx to RCU) of these engines.

As far as castor goes, also have a K&B 3.5 (with an extra DDD head), a Lee modded 61 - pumped with perry carb, HP VT25 & VT49, and RCV 60SP 90SP & 58CD, . . . all of which thirst for the stuff.

Have subscribed here & look forward to more learning & finding suitable airframes for mine and FLYING them.

T-man49 in Al
Club Saito 723
Mike Brennan
Old 03-10-2012, 07:36 AM
AmishWarlord

Yeah it would have been nice to know that you had the Diesel running chectorisitcs built into the engines already. You basically just switched fuels with the DDD heads.

Hey if you don't mind, when you get those engines going could you do some test and see how the DDD's perform on the Sportsters? Prop sizes and RPM's would be nice. Scientific would be even better.

I was thinking about making a standard engine performance chart so if you guys want to post your test stand figures fill out as much info as you can so we can accurately compare readings.
Tom might get mad at his engine for not performing as well as Dicks, Dick didn't post that he lives in FL at sea level and ran his engine in winter at 40° outside wile Tom ran his engine in CO at 6,000 Feet during the summer at 90° temp.

Sportster club members, just coppy this and post with your data filled in.

Engine

Outside weather conditions,

Altitude............
Temp..............
Humidity.........

Prop,

Brand............
Style.............
Size..............
Pitch............

Fuel,
Brand............
Nitro..............
Oil................
Age..............

Engine Performance,

RPM........................
Head Temp..............
Exhaust temp..........

Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 AM
AmishWarlord

How NOT to tune your Sportster.

Good video of a .28 on an Eaglet but they way he tunes that engine over the prop is just scary!

Any guesses to how close the prop is to the veins and arteries in his wrist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME1lfpzoJRU

Please tune your engines from behind the prop. Your dealing with an oily plane that can unexpectedly lurch forward at any second.

Name:	Tr50028.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	1737073  
Old 03-10-2012, 12:46 PM
flyingagin

I have the big long scars both thumbs just above the second joint to constantly remind what a prop can do to you
Old 03-10-2012, 01:36 PM
huck1199

I am a K&B fan. I have several of .20, .28, .45, .65. Non-Sportster .61, and a 1.00 with the box muffler mount. Looking for a plane for the 1.00. Love them and feed them castor. Anyone have a 1.00 running in a plane?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:29 PM
earlwb

ORIGINAL: flyingagin

I bet that would be a heck of alot of work. Picture me gimping away form that one.
Well if Royal hadn't quit making kits, it would have been my fourth B-17 I would have built.
The first one I sold to someone else. The second was shot down by a moron who turned his TX on while I had the frequency peg.
The third got killed when I was moving.
So I guess I'll have to bash something together nowadays.
Anyway if you have ever built a Royal kit you would appreciate the effort involved.
But there is something about four engines that just can't be beat for sound and everything.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:51 PM
AmishWarlord

Nerver built one but I hear you have to do a bit of sanding here and there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.