Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Tower hobbies 46 muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower hobbies 46 muffler

I was wondering what made the tower hobbies 46 muffler so successful. Was it the volume, size, outlet size, shape? I know the thing that made it so attractive was the price for the performance it gave. I have several parts of different muffler fronts and backs for 46 size engines laying around and was wondering if I could tune a muffler by putting different lengths of aluminum tubing between the fronts and backs. The tower muffler was very simple and light. One thing I notice about it is that the inlet comes into the very front of the muffler where as all my other mufflers, it is set back slightly so that the muffler does not stick out so far in the rear. Perhaps this has something to do with it.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:03 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tower hobbies 46 muffler

Ithink the volume and length have the most to do with it, typical stock mufflers are puny compared to a correct tuned pipe.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:04 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

there have been people to put different length tubes in their Tower mufflers to use with like a OS 55AX etc.

I think the tube is a unusual diameter and wall thickness?
Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Ernie Misner

I think the beloved Tower muffler is discontinued. Why????? They must have sold thousands of them?

Thanks,

Ernie Misner
Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find one, the Aqua Craft .46 muffler is the same as the Tower .46
Old 06-26-2012, 06:30 PM
estradajae

Just Engines sells a muffler for their engines and as a spare muffler...I think it's called "quiet muffler".
Without having a tower muffler to compare (I have a tower 75 though) it may have the same dimensions

I bought one for my O.S 46FX that I repaired with a magnum piston/liner, and wow it woke up this engine, works very very good, and a bit louder, much much better than the stock.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:21 AM
w8ye

Some GMS engines had the same muffler as the Tower muffler.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:24 AM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: estradajae

Just Engines sells a muffler for their engines and as a spare muffler...I think it's called "quiet muffler".
Without having a tower muffler to compare (I have a tower 75 though) it may have the same dimensions

I bought one for my O.S 46FX that I repaired with a magnum piston/liner, and wow it woke up this engine, works very very good, and a bit louder, much much better than the stock.
http://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalog/Silencers.html

The JENSD47 muffler
Old 06-27-2012, 04:57 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

I have a jensd47 muffler that came on another engine I have, I think it is jbl or tigershark. I have not weighed them both but the tower muffler feels half the weight of the jensd47 muffler. The jens muffler is well built however. The center aluminum piece is threadded on to the header and I think also the end piece, it also has a heavy duty center bolt (could have been lighter) through the whole thing. I guess my original thoughts were is it the shape and size of the muffler that makes it add more power to the engine. I know that the volume has some thing to do with it but does the shape of that volume make the difference also, for example fat and short, long and skinny. There must be a perfect aspect ratio. What ever it is, the tower muffler must have been just right in that reguards. It is almost like a mini mouse can muffler.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Tower muffler worked well, because it had a large volume to it along with its length which made it more like a tuned muffler similar to the Jett or Nelson Performance Specialty mufflers. The hot exhaust gasses, as they cool down (even slightly) lose volume rapidly, so the exhaust outlet tends to be smaller to help keep the exhaust gas speed up.

Hobby King sells the ASP S52 muffler which would work quite well too. The Tower Hobbies .46 uses a very common hole spacing and exhaust outlet on it., so the Jett tuned mufflers or Evolution tuned mufflers would work good too.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...fler_Assy.html

Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Ernie Misner

Anyone have a clue why Tower would discontinue the very popular Tower Muffler?

Thanks,

Ernie Misner
Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Tower priced their Tower brand muffler differently than the GMS even though they looked identical.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:22 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tower discontinued their Tower branded engines. But they also discontinued the GMS engines too.  So if you discontinue the engine the muffler is made for then there no reason to keep selling the muffler or engine parts for that matter.
It looks like Great Planes is using the SuperTigre, Thunder Tiger and Magnum brands to fill in the gap.
But technically there is no reason to keep the Tower and GMS brand engines when they have Super Tigre, Magnum and Thunder Tiger brands along with the OS engines to sell. Too many different things to sell for a limited market.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Ernie Misner

They should have put a generic name on that muffler and kept on manufacturing just that muffler, my 2 cents!

Ernie Misner
Old 06-29-2012, 02:22 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

They should have put a generic name on that muffler and kept on manufacturing just that muffler, my 2 cents!

Ernie Misner
+1