Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Moki not getting fuel

Old 08-27-2012, 03:53 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moki not getting fuel

I have a Moki 210 that as of last year ran fine. I have it in a GP Ultimate, so anyone familiar with the plane knows the tank sits pretty low. I don't have a pump or regulator on it (wish I did). I brought it to the field this wknd and as usual, you have to prime the heck out of it, since it's tough to draw enough pressure to get the carb wet. I had the cowl off and when it would start, it would just burn what was in the carb, but it was very obvious there was no fuel moving through the line. I have an inline fuel filter just before the carb. i thought maybe the clunk in the tank fell off, but looks to be attached. I will take apart to be sure. The fuel setup is pretty simple, one line with fuel dot for filling, one line for pitts muffler pressure and 3rd line for carb. high speed needle open a couple turns. Even opened it up another turn and nothing is moving through the line, yet when I prime with finger over carb, fuel moves through, so don't think there is a blockage anywhere. Seems like a pressure problem. Not sure what else could be wrong. [&:]
Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Moki not getting fuel

make sure you can blow thru the carb fuel inlet with the throttle wide open. a Perry pump is well worth it for this engine. they are only 30 bucks from tower. then you can forget the muffler pressure.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:20 AM
earlwb

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a obstruction someplace. The main needle could be obstructed or something in the fuel line setup or even a hole or tear in the fuel lines. The muffler pressure line or fitting could be blocked too.  The inline fuel filters can be a problem also, as I have seen them block or obstruct the fuel flow too, plus some fuel filters can leak air also.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:27 AM
husker
My Feedback: (1)

Air raptor is right on. I have the GP Ultimate like yours with a Moki 210. It will not run without the pump but is very reliable and easy to start with the pump installed. I give it a little shot of fuel in the carb for the first start of the day and then it will start right up all day!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 PM
jzinckgra

ORIGINAL: husker

Air raptor is right on. I have the GP Ultimate like yours with a Moki 210. It will not run without the pump but is very reliable and easy to start with the pump installed. I give it a little shot of fuel in the carb for the first start of the day and then it will start right up all day!
Good to know. did you even consider a regulator like cline or Iron Bay? I thought regulators were better then pumps.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:38 PM
jzinckgra

Figured out the problem. Some how the low speed needle was too lean. I think it vibrated that way since i have not touched it in a long while. The high speed also does this but i have a piece of fuel tubing to prevent that
Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 AM
LuvBipes
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jzinckgra

Figured out the problem. Some how the low speed needle was too lean. I think it vibrated that way since i have not touched it in a long while. The high speed also does this but i have a piece of fuel tubing to prevent that
As the o-rings get old the low speed disk will start to wander due to vibration. I clean the carb thoroughly and place a drop of Goop glue where the disk meets the carb body to kkep it in place.