Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Irvine 53 - 2 Stroke Needle settings Help

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Irvine 53 - 2 Stroke Needle settings Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 PM
greyfoxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irvine 53 - 2 Stroke Needle settings Help

Anyone have the beginning low and hi-speed needle settings for an Irvine 53?

Thanks!

"Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first, and the lesson sometime later!"
Old 09-28-2012, 03:42 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Irvine 53 - 2 Stroke Needle settings Help

Greyfox, there is no reliable way to tell anyone what the proper carburetor needle settings are for a model glow engine, whether two or four-stroke. Variables such as tank size, brand and height in the model make any effort to help someone with this problem simply a joke.

The secret is in turning the needles until the engine runs its best. That is the ONLY way to adjust it correctly. Good luck. I'm sure that you will get it down pat in no time.

Ed Cregger
Old 09-28-2012, 05:25 AM
greyfoxx

Thanks for the feedback Ed.

I'm aware that each engine must be tuned differently due to the variables you mention, as well as weather.

What I am in need of is the high and low needle settings that are preset at the factory on the Irvine 53 as a beginning point to get the engine running so I can make those fine tuning adjustments as a result of the variables of which you speak.

I've found in all things that "Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first, and the lesson some time later!"

Phillip
Old 09-28-2012, 06:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No matter what the instructions say to set them at, I open the main needle 5 turns and the low speed 3 turns and start from there. This is almost always way too rich and I would rather be way to rich than a little lean on the first startup.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:26 AM
greyfoxx

Thanks for the feedback Sports Pilot! I'll give that a try.

"Experience is a hard teacher. She always gives the test first, and the lesson some time later!"

Phillip
Old 09-28-2012, 02:50 PM
AMB

Got curious have 6 or7 Irvine 53s ( UK) all fitted with Davis diesel heads, never touched the low speed needle as factory set, just checked its 3 1/2 open from closed all the way, high speed needle 2-1/2 to 3 open , this on diesel fuel, they were never run on glow fuel martin

that was a typo 2 to 3 open
Old 09-28-2012, 04:03 PM
jeffie8696

The high speed needle on my 53 is usually only open maybe 2 turns, its a bit unusual .
Old 09-28-2012, 06:10 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

The high speed needle on my 53 is usually only open maybe 2 turns, its a bit unusual .
Ive no experience with Irvines, but I know from a few other engines that I have and compared to others in various parts of the country... Depending on your elevation, your power figures and thus fuel mixtures will be vastly different. An engine that turned 18k in California only turned 17k in Minnesota on 5% fuel in both runs. I would think 2 turns in IA at higher altitude would make sense since the air is thinner up here than it is in Florida.

I always start my engines at 4 turns on the high needle, and 2.5 turns of the low needle and start the engine with a wet prime and 1/3-1/2 throttle. New engines rarely backflip start so I usually use an electric starter.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:37 PM
jeffie8696

All my other engines are at about 2.5 turns the Irvines are different that way, some only about 1.5 turns. I have several and they all seem to have a very low number of turns on the high speed.
Iwould set it on the test stand and start at 3 turns out on the high speed and 4-5 turns out on the low, then once you have the high speed set work on the low speed, a very long screwdriver will let you adjust it while its running as long as you are really really careful. The pinch test will let you know if you are there.