Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

The Weirdest use of Glow Engines. is this for real?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

The Weirdest use of Glow Engines. is this for real?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 AM
jrlingrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Weirdest use of Glow Engines. is this for real?

Stupid true, but Ihave derived a great deal of enjoyment from reading this thread from the start.

John
Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot
I do not believe there is such a thing, ablative is a method not a material. Perhaps there are materials that make this more feasible. It is a method where the heat is taken away by a cooler boundry layer. I don't know if spaceship one uses that, I doubt it does as it requires a relatively blunt surface such as the bottom of a capsule or even the rounded but rather blunt nose of the space shuttle. However it does have insulation. My point was that it does not require much, and that the feathering method used would not work for an orbital re-entry.
There are many materials specifically formulated to be used as ablatives, and they are called ablative materials. I've used many over the years.

http://www.rtpcompany.com/info/data/...2299X53538.htm
http://www1.dowcorning.com/DataFiles...b281612fb7.pdf
Silica-EPDM
Carbon phenolics
etc

However anything you use as an ablative shield by definition becomes an ablative material - some Chinese reentry vehicles use oak.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the seller is aware of this thread. Even he would have to laugh.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:21 AM
kenh3497

Here ya go. Modern day 2C super/turbo charger

http://www.speedwerxstore.com/index...._detail&p=1449

Ken
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That thing sounds as though it has direct fuel-injection.

If it does, most of the problems are instantly solved.

Any other fancy bits in that set-up ... perchance a valve or two?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:29 AM
MJD

Well, he got the attention he wanted, scam or not.

I wish I could have found a picture or video of the Tim Allen car engine powered cordless driver, it might have been the only other "on topic" post here..

And I recall an .010 powered generator somewhere too. How to replace a LiPo at twice the weight and 37 times the complexity and unreliability.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 AM
kenh3497

The fuel is injected into the intake runner like modern day cars. Snowmobiles have been using FI for quite a few years now.

It was common "back in the day" on cars to have a wet supercharger where the carb was on the intake side of the pump. It did make for and exciting explosion on occasion. Maybe "common" is too strong a word. The other way was to put the carb in an air tight box down stream from the supercharger. It worked OK also.

It looks like the engine in question used the wet supercharger. Another thing the long cylindrical object with the red, blue and black wires, I think is the starter for the engine.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps the seller is simply relaying the info he was given when he bought this thing?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 AM
trousertrout

makes sense low to no air would be great conditions for gp based engines and nasa is always trying out new things just like our military so i believe it just because we dont know about it doesnt mean that it isnt a unique and cool item to the one who collects this type of stuff,kinda cool to me.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: kenh3497

Ken

Yes you can buy a superchager and bolt it on a two stroke, but all that will do is waste fuel and your wallet (the latter is the reason they are made). They won't actually supercharge the engine as the won't compress the air going into it. Read the wiki on the two stoke Diesel and you will see that even though it has a roots blower, it is considered a normally aspirated engine.

Actually you can get some minor boost but not much. Per the wike the diesel would if the exhaust valve is closedbefore the last part of the induction cycle, On glow and gas you would get a minor boost in the crankcase which would increase the initial induction on the cylinder. With the Diesel this is not a problem as this is just air and no fuel is wasted. But for the gas and glow two stokes more fuel would be wasted than power increased. However with a four stroke both power and effeciency are increased.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Flight Risk

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI, the engines used seem to be circa 1964 OS Max-S 30's.
http://www.osengines.com/history/ostimeline03.html
So I'm wondering if this engine could have actually be intended for NASA's Moon Project. Maybe to power the Lunar Rover The shuttle was probably not on NASA's plate in the 60's. And surely they would have used the most modern engines available when designing the shuttle in the 70's.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:56 PM
kenh3497

Ken

Yes you can buy a superchager and bolt it on a two stroke, but all that will do is waste fuel and your wallet (the latter is the reason they are made). They won't actually supercharge the engine as the won't compress the air going into it. Read the wiki on the two stoke Diesel and you will see that even though it has a roots blower, it is considered a normally aspirated engine.

Actually you can get some minor boost but not much. Per the wike the diesel would if the exhaust valve is closed before the last part of the induction cycle, On glow and gas you would get a minor boost in the crankcase which would increase the initial induction on the cylinder. With the Diesel this is not a problem as this is just air and no fuel is wasted. But for the gas and glow two stokes more fuel would be wasted than power increased. However with a four stroke both power and effeciency are increased.

I not trying to be a smart ***** but how do you explain the 50HP boost over the normally aspirated engine in the link I posted??? The engine in the sled in the picture is about 160HP. Some are as high as 180HP. I'm talking an 800 cc fuel injected two stroke engine. It is a high price to pay for 50 HP, but after working in the industry for a while, to some, it just don't matter as long as they win the HP race.

Ken
Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 PM
JRMS

Well MJD the smallest generator I have found with my third search is this OS 40 Four stroke

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOayHpHfqfI&list=UU1EOIDc-NdgL73zZPaiO7pQ&index=17&feature=plcp[/youtube]
Old 11-29-2012, 01:49 PM
MJD

Google: Cox .010 generator

From an interview with Bob Davis:

Bob: I had the privilege of working at the Lockheed Skunkworks, Boeing Phantom Works and the Navy’s Swamp Works—all advanced work projects in cutting-edge aerospace, producing diesel technology for UAV programs. One of our diesel-powered UAVs carried a gallon of fuel and could fly for 24 hours while generating its own onboard electricity and surveilling with video. We did 150 of those, and there were many other projects.

I produced Cox .010 conversions with generator drives for 6-inch-span micro-UAVs. These had twin-ball-bearing rear output shafts driving micro-generators to power the radio. The front shaft spun the prop.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Superchargers wont work very well on a 2-stroke unless the boost is fed directly into the cylinder above the exhaust port. Not real likely to work well. Now a turbocharger on a 2-stroke will work. They have been doing it on snowmobiles for a long time. The trick is that the turbocharger itself acts as a baffle creating backpressure which slows down the mixture traveling up through the transfer/boost ports and out the exhaust. I do not see a tuned exhaust system being as efficient since the turbocharger would disrupt the pressure waves, but what do I know..

I'm not saying a glow engine would run any better or stronger with a turbo (if you made one that small yourself) but the theory says it works.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:16 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure I saw a 2-stroke design which employed a supercharger that fed into a rotary inlet valve.
Fuel was to be injected into the pressurised inlet manifold... like in a modern car.
Exhaust was via porting in the cylinder.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a joke! And some idiot bought it! Huh?

Something made in a high school machine class from various engine parts, carbs and mufflers and some sucker on fee-bay bought it ... PRICELESS.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:53 PM
kenh3497

Ken

Look close at the pictures. This is a belt driven supercharger
Old 11-29-2012, 10:07 PM
eddieC

For a supercharger to work it must compress the air. It cannot do that with two ports open.  
Proof's in the puddin', SP.    Maybe those engineers know a little more about it.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Sport_Pilot

Ken

Actually you can get some minor boost but not much. Per the wike the diesel would if the exhaust valve is closedbefore the last part of the induction cycle, On glow and gas you would get a minor boost in the crankcase which would increase the initial induction on the cylinder. With the Diesel this is not a problem as this is just air and no fuel is wasted. But for the gas and glow two stokes more fuel would be wasted than power increased. However with a four stroke both power and effeciency are increased.

I not trying to be a smart ***** but how do you explain the 50HP boost over the normally aspirated engine in the link I posted??? The engine in the sled in the picture is about 160HP. Some are as high as 180HP. I'm talking an 800 cc fuel injected two stroke engine. It is a high price to pay for 50 HP, but after working in the industry for a while, to some, it just don't matter as long as they win the HP race.

Ken
Excuse me but Isaid it would give a minor boost. So it would contribute toward the 50 HP boost, but that is not the only mod to those engines. Not a cost effective mod and will not work as well as on a four stroke. And it would never do much to help an engine run at high altitude.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: eddieC

For a supercharger to work it must compress the air. It cannot do that with two ports open.
Proof's in the puddin', SP. Maybe those engineers know a little more about it.

What puddin? A snowmobile racer sputtering out half its fuel out the exhaust doesn't prove that the turbocharger will run a UAV or shuttle flap efficiently at high altitudes. It just will not work well for that purpose.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:05 AM
hairy46

Hmmmmmmmm
Old 12-07-2012, 06:42 PM
abelard

This reminds me of the story of the high dollar ink pens developed to function in zero gravity. The Russians used pencils...
That piece of baloney just refuses to go away.

NASA and the Russians both used to use pencils in zero-G, and the graphite dust and broken points floating in the air contaminated the electronics. An engineer named Paul Fisher, on hearing of this, developed a zero-G pen ON HIS OWN DIME and offered it for sale; both NASA and the Russians adopted it and use it to this day.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Uh oh
Old 12-08-2012, 01:33 AM
eddieC

A snowmobile racer sputtering out half its fuel out the exhaust doesn't prove that the turbocharger will run a UAV or shuttle flap efficiently at high altitudes. It just will not work well for that purpose.
And you know this how?I believe the engineers who design this stuff, and the racers winning at the track, know just a bit more than you about their business. Who says race engines need to be efficient? They're the thirstiest engines made. And it's a supercharger, not a turbocharger. As for having 'both ports open', you obviously don't understand how tuned pipes work.

SP on ablative materials:
I do not believe there is such a thing, ablative is a method not a material.
Wrong. Google it. Ablative materials have been around since the beginning of spaceflight. They erode with use. Antifouling marine paint is anotherexample of anablative material, not a 'method'.

I doubt this item was for the Shuttle, but the engineering is remarkable.