Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

O.S. Engines now made in China

Old 06-09-2016, 12:11 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Most of the ARFs are made in China and there is a big difference between which clan builds which brand. The quality will get better with time if the manufacturer demands it. In the mean time our world is turning to a disposable society.

David
Old 06-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thunder Tiger is distributed by HRP.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:39 PM
aspeed

HRP does not stock any parts for airplane motors except bearings. All are not in stock in any warehouse, and no airplane motors are even listed. There is one Heli motor listed, but not in stock, but a few car motors are available and in stock. I wonder if it is just me not navigating properly. I hope they are not another company that has given up on the airplane guys
Old 06-11-2016, 11:47 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lost the link to a huge Chinese website of manufacturers, but you could find your company there. Many of the larger companies would build to the price level you wished. In other words, you want cheap- they gave you cheap. You want quality- they gave you quality. W8YE gave me the link some 10 years ago. I wasted many hours learning how you contracted with them, QC, levels of quality based upon the buyers requirements and money they had to spend. Some of the companies were only cheap quality and advertised that fact.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:38 AM
MrShoes
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
I read where it was the AX line only (for now) being made in china. Some say there is a difference in quality,fit and finish.
I’ve been out of the hobby for a while, and unaware of any association of OS making anything in China. 2 weeks ago, I was looking at the OS 46AXII on the Tower website and noticed the engine didn’t look good. I am being honest when I say I thought it looked like typical low quality Chinese. Then I thought, “did OS make this in China?”. Then, I noticed “Japan” no longer on the crankcase on the Tower Hobbies’ picture. After some research, I came across forum postings like this one. I ordered it anyway because Tower had such a great deal on these. Then the thought of a Chinese made OS didn’t sit well with me and I tried to cancel the order. Tower customer service said, “too late” but I could RMA it back if I didn’t want it. Then, I received it and the engine looked beautiful and I was at first astonished at the Chinese quality, the engine looked just like the Japanese made OS engines. But then I noticed, “Japan” on the crankcase and “Made in Japan” on the box. So it’s not made in China. It’s a keeper and I am glad it is still made in Japan.

And for those people who claim there’s no difference between Chinese and Japanese quality, are grossly misinformed. The biggest difference between anything Chinese and quality made elsewhere, is the metallurgy. Chinese metals are full of impurities and their alloys are substandard, prone to corrosion and load failure. This is true of their copper pipes pitting and leaking in homes to nails and bolts rusting/failing, tools fracturing under small loads, stainless is not really stainless, the list goes on and on. So while the appearance of Chinese products might look good, they are still of poor quality.

Last edited by MrShoes; 05-01-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:40 PM
aspeed

This is an old thread. A lot has happened since then. The chinese company that made them has gone under. Sanye. They made some good motors, some even better than OS. They used real chrome plating that would not usually peel like the OS infamous nickel. Can not argue with the quality of a lot of other stuff mentioned though.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:45 PM
erik58
My Feedback: (4)

Were losing engines at a alarming rate
Old 05-01-2022, 04:03 PM
MrShoes
My Feedback: (15)

Originally Posted by erik58 View Post
Were losing engines at a alarming rate

I agree.