Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Parts for old OS engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 05:57 PM
PT19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts for old OS engines

Is there any place to get parts for older os engines? New parts are there but if I needed parts for a new engine I would buy another brand.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Parts for old OS engines

I depends on the engine and the parts you need. Some of the later model parts fit older engines. The 4 stroke pumper give you a difficult time finding parts. for the pump and regulator, but some of the other parts are interchangeable. Some, but not all. It takes a bit of investigation on your part. The tower site is a good source of available parts, but you need a manual for your engine to get the part numbers you want. Bearings are a piece of cake, several sources for them. Cams on the small block four strokes are some times interchangeable. I replace a cam in a friends 40 with one from a 52 that I destroyed. The lifters fit the crank case, but were way to tall. I finally found the right ones on TowerWhat engine are you looking for parts for? Some of us may have one that we don't need any longer for parts, or we may have some new parts in hand from previous rebuilds.Don.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 PM
jeffie8696

rucercengines.com has a lot of miscellanious stuff from his large collection and he is probably willing to rummage through it for what you need at a very reasonable cost.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

rucercengines.com has a lot of miscellanious stuff from his large collection and he is probably willing to rummage through it for what you need at a very reasonable cost.
You had a small typo in your link but I managed to find it well enough, I'm also looking for a part for a old engine so I sent him a email asking if he knew where to get such a part and hopefully he has one but I'm not holding my breath LOL I need a new liner for the old OS .61SF that were famouse for peeling and almost impossible to find a replacement. OH his web site is http://www.brucercengines.com/ (You forgot the "B")

Dauntae
Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 AM
jeffie8696

Doh, "B". sorry. now I have to apologize to ruce.
I think he is on vacation at the moment so give him some time.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 AM
countilaw

Remember, when you replace the sleeve, you replace the piston as well. Just a reminder, I know you knew that.

Frank
Old 06-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Dauntae

Actually I don't think I'll be replacing anything lol that is one engine sleeves are RARE to find in usable condition, Hopefully I can find a set, engine looks prestine otherwise.

Dauntae
Old 06-12-2013, 03:20 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time I have needed a piston and cylinder the cost has been more than a new engine. Hope you have better luck than I.

Bill
Old 06-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Dauntae

I got this engine a few yrs ago to fix for a club mate, Older gentleman and a nice guy so was doing it as a favor, but after I got the bearings I discovered the liner and lack of replacement parts, searched high and low and found nothing so he gave it to me for parts, If I can find parts I'll ask him if he wants it back, he really liked the engine, He'll gladly pay for parts if not too out there, my trouble.... Priceless lol and free.

Dauntae
Old 06-22-2013, 04:13 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From reading the previous post, I can't tell exactly what you're saying about the condition of the engine or what parts are needed, but if you need the piston and sleeve re-fitted (because of scratches, etc.) there are people who can fix those for you. Sleeves can be chromed, and fitted to the piston. Cost is fairly moderate.

Iskandar
Old 06-22-2013, 05:47 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: iskandar taib

If you need the piston and sleeve re-fitted (because of scratches, etc.) there are people who can fix those for you. Sleeves can be chromed, and fitted to the piston. Cost is fairly moderate.

Iskandar
Sleeve "re-pinching" is popular among the RC Car guys. Car engines are pricey as are Aero engines, but some guys will spend $400-$500 on a race engine and find the piston and liners are $120 or thereabouts. For a reasonable cost, you can have the liner "re-pinched". All thats done there is tightening the pinch a little and re-breaking in the engine. Same piston and same liner with new life. In some cases, the repinched set will outlast a new set. This of course is under the assumption that the piston and liner are just worn and not scratched/gouged and is aimed at the ABC type engines. I suppose a steel liner could be pinched too, but I dont think I'd want to pinch a liner for a ringed engine.

Edit: Here's a link to one of the guys the RC Car guys revere as doing good work: http://www.rayaracing.com/

His [outdated] site says .12 through .46 engine sizes, but perhaps he can do more now. I have NOT used his services so I do not know how good he is. Other guys rave about him though.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Dauntae

The issue with the engine is its one of the OS that were known for the liners peeling and that's exactly what happened to this one, Found someone who had one missin most parts so I got it just to find out his was peeling as pad as mine was, I don't want to spend a fortune and the Gentleman I was fixing it for decided he didn't want the engine back due to him not having any need for more engines so now to divide what to do, I someone knows where to get this rechromes and not cost as much as a new engine I'm all ears lol

Dauntae
Old 06-22-2013, 11:10 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

What engine is it?
Old 06-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Dauntae

OS 61 SF in great condition other than the lining But has the 7L carb which is a great carb if you have the engine for it.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:36 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Dauntae

OS 61 SF in great condition other than the lining But has the 7L carb which is a great carb if you have the engine for it.
Try a TT .61 Pro liner. They are said to be clones of the SF engines. Mind you I don't know from experience if it works nor if they truly are clones or not. Otherwise it might be worth a shot? Worst case scenario you could sell the P/L set for what you have into it and move on...?

Just a thought.