Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS 1.20 Go Boom....!!!

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: controlliner

Is that burned on oil on the rod? It looks like the con rod got hot.
Nope, it's the golden brown of rust. The crank counterweights were rusty. Clearly not enough after run was used at one point in it's life. It never overheated while I was running it. I always run em rich to keep them cool. I rather have a little burble every now and again. I am not the lean it our and let it eat guy.

modracer07 - PM me and let me know what you have, I am always buying & building. I have a brand new 1.60FX and a DLE20 on the shelf for the next projects and the new 1.20AX on the way, but I can always use another couple of engines for the right price.

Rust is ruddy red not golden brown. Looks like castor oil stain to me. But not enough to say it got too hot.
I overhaul and sell used nitro engines on consignment as part of my online business. In the many that I have done to date, the rust is always a brownish color that ends up smeared on the rod, the under side of the piston, the crankcase, etc. I personally have never seen anything redish. Like the image I included (Sure it has only 1/2 gallon thru it and sure you ALWAYS used after run sir... LOL!), it always looks brown to me but I may not "see" the same color you do.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Years AGO I was flying a group of boy scouts on the buddy box.
I had K&B .45 sportster on a PT-40 trainer.
The bottom end of the con rod let go, crank went about one revolution and locked up , spitting a new spinner and prop off.
K&B sent me a new motor but I had to buy a spinner and prop.
We had several other planes to finish flying the scouts.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised that all the parts stayed in the engine. Thanks for the pisture of the distroyed parts - as stated earlier, I just can't look away. Does that make me a bad person?
Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

ORIGINAL: Cobra1

I am surprised that all the parts stayed in the engine. Thanks for the pisture of the distroyed parts - as stated earlier, I just can't look away. Does that make me a bad person?

Not at all brother. I don't mind blowing them up, I just hate adding insult to injury and damaging the airplane.

What is really ironic about this whole thing is that the day before this happened, I was messing around on the sim and what was I doing? Practicing trying to return to the field when the engine goes silent at the most dangerous time. I almost lost a $1400 pattern ship a few weeks back when at the rotation, she snuffed out for some reason. So after that I started working on the best course of action when the fan stops.... LOL!

But I love broken parts too man!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

The brown color is castor oil. However there maybe rust under it giving it a redish brown color. Rust is a ruddy red. There is rust that is darker, but the metal has to be almost red hot. Also certain alloys that change the color. But brown stains on aluminum parts is usually not rust.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:57 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the original pic, the connecting rod has 4 dents from hitting things. I bet it was still running on the crank pin when that happened.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:21 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: blw

Looking at the original pic, the connecting rod has 4 dents from hitting things. I bet it was still running on the crank pin when that happened.
I was thinking that the crank pin made some of those 4 dents, thus causing the small end to let loose from being pounded on.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

sometimes things just break, could have had a flaw in the stock the rod was machined from. I was flying a Saito 1.50 in a friends CAP 232 and all of a sudden it just stopped. I turned it to final and noticed the spinner was crooked to the cowl. Oh great, the motor mount broke. Then the prop started free wheeling!!! Then I saw shiny bits falling out of the air exit in the cowl....
I landed and the entire lower crankcase exploded! The jug and upper crank case was still bolted to the mount and the crank and bearing area was dangling and trapped by the cowl. the cam, pushrods lifters etc were gone. The lower crankcase was in bit. There were wholes in the cowl where parts of the crankcase went through the fiberglass.
Rebuilt it with new parts and flew if for years and years. The new crankcase had one big change. The vent nipple was moved. It was smack dab in the middle of the crankpin throw area and we think it causes a weak spot there. The new was moved to a new location, but dang if I can remember where...this was in 99 or so.