Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

HOW TO REMOVE VALVE SPRING RETAINER MAGNUM 91 RFS???

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

HOW TO REMOVE VALVE SPRING RETAINER MAGNUM 91 RFS???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:10 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HOW TO REMOVE VALVE SPRING RETAINER MAGNUM 91 RFS???

My Magnum 91 RFS (blue head) has a broken intake valve spring. After removing the valve cover and rocker arm assembly, I don't see a clip holding the spring retainer cap. As I recall, my OS engines have a c-clip holding the valve spring cap (keeper) in place. Are there any youtube videos? I've searched and didn't find one. Need help.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Campgems

Default RE: HOW TO REMOVE VALVE SPRING RETAINER MAGNUM 91 RFS???

First, the removal and installation of the keepers is best accomplished inside a gallon size zip lock bag to keep flying parts corralled.

There are two tapered keepers on each valve You push the upper spring retainer down until you can pull the keepers off the valve stem. They are just like the ones on my GM engines that I tore down in my younger days.

Here is a link to the instruction manual and near the bottom is the parts drawings. You will see the keepers illustrated there.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/media/upl...structions.pdf

Here is a close up of a valve showing the two keepers, the spring cap and the valve stem. The small end of the keepers go to the valve

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...nd-keeper.html

Don
Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 AM
airbusdrvr

Thanks. I haven't the time right now to get to the engine(assembling linkages on a Hiperbipe build). But it appears from the links you've given that the top valve spring retainer (doughnut looking part) is pushed down the valve stem far enough to remove the two half sleeve parts. Then the round retainer and spring can be removed and replaced. And I do have some clear gallon bags.

Thanks for the answer. And it is curious that the operator's manual that I received for the motor from Tower about six months ago has no parts diagram.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Campgems

Airbus, you are correct on the donut and sleeves.

If your engine is only 6 months old, I would be hitting up Tower for a repair. Magnum had some issue with valve springs a while back and I know Hobby People was good about stepping up to the problem. They would fix it or send you the parts, your choice. I would expect Tower to do likewise. It may well be worth a call to their customer service.

Don
Old 07-01-2013, 03:35 AM
airbusdrvr

Thanks for the info.