Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Can you run engine sideways with exhaust up ?

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Can you run engine sideways with exhaust up ?

Old 11-26-2013, 11:25 AM
a70eliminator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can you run engine sideways with exhaust up ?

I'm mounting a KB61 with a tuned pipe and it mountst nicely with the pipe up alongside the fuse rather than down.
Wondering if it will create any problems.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20131117_083547.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	969.3 KB
ID:	1942544  
Old 11-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Sandyt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it will run fine, but you need to be aware that whatever is in the pipe, excess fuel and combustion byproducts for example, can easily flow back into the cylinder. If you filled your fuel tank without disconnecting the pressure line, raw fuel will likely flood the engine.

SandyT

ps Nice looking bipe.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:17 PM
a70eliminator

Thanks, I'll have to store with nose high after a flight so the oil runs out rather than in and be ready for a hydraulic lock always. Just didn't know if I was overlooking anything major, never seen a motor mounted this way before. I ran this motor inverted on my Gull Wing and sideways on my Ultra Sport but this is a first for the upsidown sideways.

Last edited by a70eliminator; 11-26-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:18 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The engine itself doesn't care which way it is mounted but with inverted engines there is the problem of pooling around the plug and with the exhaust up - there is the hydro lock potential.

They are most trouble free with the exhaust down.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:30 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can run the model two stroke engines at any angle you want to. The engine doesn't care. No oil sump and no float carburetor, so the engine angle or attitude is not a problem. But as mentioned already, fuel or oil or exhaust residue could run back into the engine from the exhaust in some cases, so you need to be aware of it.

I do like the way the tuned pipe is setup on the plane, it makes it pretty clean looking like that on the biplane.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:14 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine side mounted his engine towards the left side so the muffler ran like your pipe. It melted his canopy. I guess he didn't want to mount the engine on the right side of the model. I didn't see it but W8YE told me about it. I saw the model later but the guy had reoriented his engine and bought a new canopy. I didn't ask.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

For hand launched aircraft it is probably the smartest way to mount the engine. Puts the carb at thrustline height, but avoids the engine or exhaust acting as a landing skid. The Outlaw is an example: (not mine so don't complement me on the trim scheme). Point being it has been done, it works, with the caveats noted above.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	outlaw.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	1942922  
Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 AM
a70eliminator

It wasn't my first choice, head up puts the carb too high for the tank location without a pump, right side puts header into the landing gear and interferes with wing removal. The way it is right now is promising, It's open cockpit no canopy to melt.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:06 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Still a nice covering job.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:42 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They run tuned pipes on the Extreme RC Outlaw Delta plane with the engine exhaust pointing up. The main reason is to keep the muffler or pipe out of the grass or ground when landing the plane. Anyway they haven't had any problems doing like that. The exhaust pipe runs just to the left of the top vertical tail fin. Lately everyone has been running tuned mousse can types of mufflers on the planes.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:47 AM
Altered1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had trouble when I installed my ENYA 60X in that configuration on my airboat first time around. I'm no expert at tuning, I just wanted to get her going and play. The install that way was more enthusiasm and not a lot of checking more than anything, ..... I ended up flipping the engine 180, and everything became a lot easier.