Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Large glow engines - are they passing away?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Large glow engines - are they passing away?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:39 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fs one
You don't need castor in 2 stroke engines.I have been using cool power for 12 yrs never had an issue using in abn engines,abc,and ringed.If you have a problem tuning your engine then get someone who can teach you to set up properly.If you are using castor and synthetic blend you will still cook an engine eventually if not tuned properly.Pros and everyday flyers have been using cool power for years with great success.Synthetic is the way to go keeps the engine running at optimum performance ,keeps the engine clean and you won't have to clean that old sticky gummy castor off your plane.If you are using older engines from yesteryear yes continue to use castor if newer engines go with synthetic you'll be a much happier pilot .
Originally Posted by blw
Engines are engines. Some castor blended with synthetics still provide better protection than anything else. There's no way around the fact that synthetics protect only to a certain temp, and then turn to ash. And, operator tuning isn't the only thing that will cause an engine to start running lean and hot.
Old habits die hard. Some still insist on running castor.

I've used Cool Power in my Saitos exclusively W/O any problems even after years of storage.

I do have a Saito 450R3D on the bench that was destroyed through use of too much castor. It showed no signs of overheating. The valve springs were all right on spec. The insides of the engine was full of castor gum/wax that had plugged passages & the plastic button in the crank journal melted, came out & beat the bottom end all to heck.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Fs one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SrTelemaster150 They just don't get it ! synthetics have been around for years in model fuels .Some still have that old mind set that you need castor.Won't matter what info you give them they will never be able to digest it.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:43 PM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

Check out the sales pitch on a large glow engine on Item 956246. Why selling: Big slug. In part ad states:" just a glow fuel hog & where we are difficult to get glow fuel so this is a goner". That just about sums up the future of large glow.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:12 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Synthetic oils have their place. But many years ago when I was really into classic pattern planes and flying, a sales person showed up at one of the competitions and gave me a gallon of glow fuel to try out. Later after the event, I promptly destroyed two expensive .60 engines trying to use the stuff. I gave the remainder of the fuel to another guy who wanted it and he promptly destroyed a couple of engines as well, and he poured the leftover fuel out onto the ground to dispose of it. I think that at the time, the synthetic oil percentages were lower in the fuel and the engines absolutely did not like running lean even a little bit with the stuff. It was like you hear the engine is running a touch lean, cut the throttle to land and it was too late, you ruined a cylinder and piston. Many years later I took a liking to using a blend of synthetic and castor oil. Thus the best of both types of oils then. Castor oil protects the bearings from corrosion more which the synthetics don't, thus I have not needed to use after run oil or replace bearings often like some people do.

The synthetic oils everyone uses is really commercial air-conditioning HVAC oils. As such the HVAC oils were not designed for internal combustion engines, but they tend to work OK, as long as you carefully avoid a lean run. Castor oil breaks down at a much higher temperature than synthetic oil does. castor oil starts forming a varnish like substance which can still lubricate. But synthetic oil breaks down into more combustible products which burn and don't lubricate. Thus a accidental lean run can do in a engine pretty quickly then.

Now then the synthetic oils do lubricate better than castor oil does. Some other people have done studies where they can measure less wear using synthetic inside of a model engine than with castor oil. The RC helicopter people like synthetic oils as it doesn't leave as much of a oil mess on the heli (but that means it is burning up inside the engine more too, so you need to be more careful). Four stroke engines, especially YS, work better with synthetic oil as it doesn't gum up the insides like castor oil would.

Thus I decided to simply use a blend of synthetic and castor oil as a way to get the best features of both oils with my engines.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:20 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldRookie
Does anyone know what brand of synthetic oil Morgan, Wildcat, and Cool Power use in their fuel?

Greg
A chemist / modeler once told me that the synthetic oils sold for glow engines in the U.S. are all the same compound. I forget what he said it was - but I remember he said it is chemically similar to ethylene glycol (antifreeze). I heard it is manufactured primarily as refrigerant oil or something similar. I don't think there is any great science in our synthetic oil. It is just something that already existed that someone figured out worked pretty well as a glow fuel oil.

Honestly, I can't see much difference between synthetic and castor. They both work well. When I blend my own fuel I use castor because it is less expensive and more readily available.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:40 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by larryak
Check out the sales pitch on a large glow engine on Item 956246. Why selling: Big slug. In part ad states:" just a glow fuel hog & where we are difficult to get glow fuel so this is a goner". That just about sums up the future of large glow.
You can say that about anything if you pick and choose the bits that suit you.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:11 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

For myself, I recommend a small percentage with synthetics. I don't recommend 100% castor or not cleaning out the engine internals after running.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Sport_Pilot

People didn't know how to adjust their engines properly and burned up a few because of the lack of castor that was saving their butt before 100% synthetic.
I won't use all synthetic to this day and I can tune better than most. All it takes to ruin an engine with synthetic oil is a bit of dust.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:24 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by blw
For myself, I recommend a small percentage with synthetics. I don't recommend 100% castor or not cleaning out the engine internals after running.
This is the inside of the crankcase of one of my 4-stroke engines run on exclusively 5% nitro 20% castor, no synthetic. The oil is dark brown, not black as it may appear. The oil expelled from the exhaust is the same color. The piston crown is bare aluminum with no carbon film forming even after a couple gallons and the valve train show virtually no signs of wear. Castor used to be the only oil that was ever used, in some cases using 30% or more oil content by volume. I'm cheap, so that's why I use as much thick gooey castor as I do. I never worry about rust. Yes the varnish can be a pain to get off sometimes, but I don't have to worry about my cam boxes turning to tetanus factories. Just my deal, I preach to my own choir.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	1952785  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by OldRookie
Does anyone know what brand of synthetic oil Morgan, Wildcat, and Cool Power use in their fuel?

Greg
Usually one of these or a mix of these.

http://www.dow.com/ucon/base/soluble.htm
Old 12-31-2013, 03:04 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Usually one of these or a mix of these.

http://www.dow.com/ucon/base/soluble.htm
Water soluble??
Old 12-31-2013, 04:25 AM
cordell staker

Unhappy

this thread had made me feel so bad about my Saito engines, I am going to pound them into a Sharps Rifle and ride off into the Texas sunset.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0787.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	684.7 KB
ID:	1952840  

Last edited by cordell staker; 12-31-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:08 AM
hsukaria

I was told that the refrigerant oil used as synthetic oil in glow engines is commonly called PAG. Now there is a newer type of oil, Ester oil that is supposed to be better and used in other countries in glow engines that is superior to PAG and can be used in lower quantities. I have seen the newer Ester ois sold in auto parts stores, but I am not sure if/how it would work. Has anybody experimented with these?
Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Is Amzol an Ester oil?

Greg
Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 AM
aspeed

Are the Ester oils more $$? It may be better, but cost more. I suppose if you use less it will cost the same and perform better. I remember the Ucon oils and am afraid to use them. They used to use it and it was a soybean oil. Smelled bad, ran too hot, and left nasty stains on the motors. I still have some I will never use. I imagine that was just the one type. There were a lot of different types on the list above. I haven't seen anything here about the methanol being more GREEN, and a renewable resource.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:43 AM
JPMacG

Methanol is made from natural gas, so I don't think it is considered renewable. It can be fermented from wood but that is not how most methanol is produced.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by drac1
Water soluble??
Sorry wrong link.

Try this instead.

http://www.dow.com/ucon/base/insoluble.htm

Also see page 15 of the following.

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedL...romPage=GetDoc
Old 12-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by larryak
They forgot the term "boat anchor"
Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 AM
JPMacG

They reserve that term for gasoline engines.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Thomas B

Originally Posted by on_your_six
There is just no way that the hobby is nearly as cool when you are flying coffee cups with fan motors and flashlight batteries.

Internal Combustion is the only way to go.
I agree....except that the hobby is cooler with electric, not nearly as cool....

I love all forms of model power, but I find my glow models gathering much mod dust these days.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:15 AM
JPMacG

We really should stop bashing each other's interests. There is no correct answer. Fly what you like. I like glow. I purchased three new glow engines in 2013.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:06 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by JPMacG
I walked right into that one
Old 01-01-2014, 03:59 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

RIP large glow engines
Old 01-01-2014, 04:04 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by JPMacG
And big, old tube radios. The 80 lb kind.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Fs one

Long live the 2 stroke engine.And keep that green Morgan Cool Power synthetic coming.Luv it!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.