Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Large glow engines - are they passing away?

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Large glow engines - are they passing away?

Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 AM
  #326  
Rocketman_
 
Rocketman_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , MA
Posts: 1,270
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by blw View Post
And big, old tube radios. The 80 lb kind.
Are you referring to the black transmitter in the picture below? As you can see, I still have mine. Maybe they'll come back again just like gas engines did.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gyro Ground Based Transmitter.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1953445  
Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM
  #327  
GerKonig
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Levittown, PA
Posts: 1,990
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Rocketman_ View Post
Are you referring to the black transmitter in the picture below? As you can see, I still have mine. Maybe they'll come back again just like gas engines did.

Yes, as soon as my hair starts coming back, these radios will make a big time comeback...:-) And free flight, U-control will again have massive appeal... together with the large and small glow engines... Horse drawn carriages are also going to come back one day;-)

Gerry

Last edited by GerKonig; 01-02-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 PM
  #328  
Sport_Pilot
 
Sport_Pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 16,916
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by GerKo'nig View Post
Horse drawn carriages are also going to come back one day;-)

Gerry
It has happened. You will find them with fancy carriages in nearly every large city.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:02 PM
  #329  
GerKonig
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Levittown, PA
Posts: 1,990
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
It has happened. You will find them with fancy carriages in nearly every large city.
Exactly, nothing disappears, there is always a "nitche" for everything. Same as for the big nitro power plants, and my old 8 Channel Futaba transmitter...:-) People have their black powder hunting season after all:-)

Gerry
Old 01-02-2014, 01:18 PM
  #330  
earlwb
 
earlwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 5,993
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

We also have quite a few fellows that have taken up flying old single channel radios in their airplanes again. Some modify the old radios to use 2.4ghz frequencies too.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM
  #331  
GerKonig
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Levittown, PA
Posts: 1,990
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
We also have quite a few fellows that have taken up flying old single channel radios in their airplanes again. Some modify the old radios to use 2.4ghz frequencies too.
So they use the "case" of the old radio to give it the old "look"... But it still is a new radio. But, to each his/her own. That is the beauty of this hobby, the only way to screw it up is if you are NOT having fun...


Gerry
Old 01-02-2014, 03:31 PM
  #332  
nute12
Senior Member
My Feedback: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lynden, WA
Posts: 327
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by GerKonig View Post
So they use the "case" of the old radio to give it the old "look"... But it still is a new radio. But, to each his/her own. That is the beauty of this hobby, the only way to screw it up is if you are NOT having fun...


Gerry
Okay, now to get the majority of our community to think that........3d/imac/cirle fliers/ etc........ seems every clique thinks its their way or no way. always a few that want to make life miserable for the rest. been a member of a few clubs, only one don't give a rip. that is the one i stick with. onlly rules is be safe and have fun.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:47 PM
  #333  
GerKonig
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Levittown, PA
Posts: 1,990
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Nope, I never had this problem. But then again we are too small a club to have problems, and we have flown in the same club for too long. I guess we have a low incidence of BDM (brain dead members), and can go along. I guess the 3D crowd could get a very small runway same ass the chopper club... On the downside, we have a couple of nasty airplane eating trees in the club...

Gerry
Old 01-02-2014, 06:28 PM
  #334  
kochj
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Victoria, MN
Posts: 3,934
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GerKonig View Post
Nope, I never had this problem. But then again we are too small a club to have problems, and we have flown in the same club for too long. I guess we have a low incidence of BDM (brain dead members), and can go along. I guess the 3D crowd could get a very small runway same ass the chopper club... On the downside, we have a couple of nasty airplane eating trees in the club...

Gerry

LOL........
truthfully though, the rise of simmulators have helped those that used to use there plane as a heli..... now do FULL aerobatic routines that are more than modified wheel stands....

And YES, they could get a 20X20 land, and hover around with there planes all day! LOL>....
Old 01-02-2014, 06:30 PM
  #335  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 10,252
Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts
Default

Man, that's gotta just suck when those damn trees jump out in front of a guy's airplane. sorry, I couldn't help it. I had to say it.

I'm gonna leave my Fox 1.20 twin cylinder and Enya R120-4C as full time glow ignition engines but I may convert my 23cc SuperTigre to diesel.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:53 PM
  #336  
GerKonig
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Levittown, PA
Posts: 1,990
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
Man, that's gotta just suck when those damn trees jump out in front of a guy's airplane. sorry, I couldn't help it. I had to say it.

I'm gonna leave my Fox 1.20 twin cylinder and Enya R120-4C as full time glow ignition engines but I may convert my 23cc SuperTigre to diesel.
No problem, those trees are nasty creatures. You take an eye off them, and they move...

I was lucky until last year... Making the approach to turn into final, and one of the nasty creatures made a run for it, and f I flew the giant stick right into it. Fortunately, the field was recently plowed, and soft. When I was able to shake it loose from the tree, the only damage was on the wing (damage sustained as it flew into the darn thing). A replacement wing solved the problem. I soaked and washed the electric motor, under the faucet, and it is running like new.

But I will never trust those huge trees again... Said that, the GS is so big I thought I was closer to the runway than I actually was....

Gerry
Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 PM
  #337  
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ivyland, PA
Posts: 2,298
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

We have those trees too. They party about 300 feet from the end of the runway and jump up and grab planes as they turn onto final. Having your plane grabbed is a rite of passage at our club.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:42 AM
  #338  
joebahl
Senior Member
My Feedback: (2)
 
joebahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: joliet, IL
Posts: 1,574
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I agree....except that the hobby is cooler with electric, not nearly as cool....

I love all forms of model power, but I find my glow models gathering much mod dust these days.
I was a die hard glo and gas guy 4 years ago but after owning more E planes i sold off all my glow and gas planes . Flying E-planes is cool and alot easyer fo me to handle.Just because we fly electrct planes does not mean its not just as fun as glo or gas and they can look cool to. joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_7086.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1953879   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0217.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1953880  
Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 AM
  #339  
cymaz
 
cymaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 711
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Laser Engines, here in the UK, have done tests their engines on a conversion to gas.

A UK flier has a qoute off the company..



I asked about petrol engines and was told that although testing had been done there was no real move towards it. I was also told that the testing proved that conversions are not really possible without seriously effecting the reliability and performance of the engine. Mechanically they are ok, but the carburation is very poor even with pumped carbies. There is also little saving when it comes to fuel costs on small engines, and fitting all the extra stuff into a small model is a problem. he said it was very unlikely that they would do a petrol engine under 40cc
Old 01-03-2014, 01:14 PM
  #340  
SrTelemaster150
Senior Member
 
SrTelemaster150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brasher Falls, NY
Posts: 3,904
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cymaz View Post
Laser Engines, here in the UK, have done tests their engines on a conversion to gas.

A UK flier has a qoute off the company..


Originally Posted by cymaz View Post
I asked about petrol engines and was told that although testing had been done there was no real move towards it. I was also told that the testing proved that conversions are not really possible without seriously effecting the reliability and performance of the engine. Mechanically they are ok, but the carburation is very poor even with pumped carbies. There is also little saving when it comes to fuel costs on small engines, and fitting all the extra stuff into a small model is a problem. he said it was very unlikely that they would do a petrol engine under 40cc


I have seen the so called "test results" done by Lazer & the results were the same power output for glow ignition/glow fuel, CDI/glow fuel & full on gas conversion.

The poster claimed that the CDI ignition timing W/glow fuel had to be retarded compared to gasoline or the transition suffered. Sorry, but that is just plain ludicrous.

Here is a CDI/glow fuel conversion done by CH Ignitions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3uuf4c-H0

IMO, this is the best way to go for large glow" engines.

Fuel consumption is cut dramatically & power output increases slightly. There is also a marked reduction in "slime". Also note that there aren’t any transition problems.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.