Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Large glow engines - are they passing away?

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Large glow engines - are they passing away?

Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Rocketman_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blw View Post
And big, old tube radios. The 80 lb kind.
Are you referring to the black transmitter in the picture below? As you can see, I still have mine. Maybe they'll come back again just like gas engines did.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gyro Ground Based Transmitter.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1953445  
Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocketman_ View Post
Are you referring to the black transmitter in the picture below? As you can see, I still have mine. Maybe they'll come back again just like gas engines did.

Yes, as soon as my hair starts coming back, these radios will make a big time comeback...:-) And free flight, U-control will again have massive appeal... together with the large and small glow engines... Horse drawn carriages are also going to come back one day;-)

Gerry

Last edited by GerKonig; 01-02-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by GerKo'nig View Post
Horse drawn carriages are also going to come back one day;-)

Gerry
It has happened. You will find them with fancy carriages in nearly every large city.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:02 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
It has happened. You will find them with fancy carriages in nearly every large city.
Exactly, nothing disappears, there is always a "nitche" for everything. Same as for the big nitro power plants, and my old 8 Channel Futaba transmitter...:-) People have their black powder hunting season after all:-)

Gerry
Old 01-02-2014, 01:18 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We also have quite a few fellows that have taken up flying old single channel radios in their airplanes again. Some modify the old radios to use 2.4ghz frequencies too.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
We also have quite a few fellows that have taken up flying old single channel radios in their airplanes again. Some modify the old radios to use 2.4ghz frequencies too.
So they use the "case" of the old radio to give it the old "look"... But it still is a new radio. But, to each his/her own. That is the beauty of this hobby, the only way to screw it up is if you are NOT having fun...

Gerry
Old 01-02-2014, 03:31 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by GerKonig View Post
So they use the "case" of the old radio to give it the old "look"... But it still is a new radio. But, to each his/her own. That is the beauty of this hobby, the only way to screw it up is if you are NOT having fun...

Gerry
Okay, now to get the majority of our community to think that........3d/imac/cirle fliers/ etc........ seems every clique thinks its their way or no way. always a few that want to make life miserable for the rest. been a member of a few clubs, only one don't give a rip. that is the one i stick with. onlly rules is be safe and have fun.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:47 PM
GerKonig

Nope, I never had this problem. But then again we are too small a club to have problems, and we have flown in the same club for too long. I guess we have a low incidence of BDM (brain dead members), and can go along. I guess the 3D crowd could get a very small runway same ass the chopper club... On the downside, we have a couple of nasty airplane eating trees in the club...

Gerry
Old 01-02-2014, 06:28 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GerKonig View Post
Nope, I never had this problem. But then again we are too small a club to have problems, and we have flown in the same club for too long. I guess we have a low incidence of BDM (brain dead members), and can go along. I guess the 3D crowd could get a very small runway same ass the chopper club... On the downside, we have a couple of nasty airplane eating trees in the club...

Gerry

LOL........
truthfully though, the rise of simmulators have helped those that used to use there plane as a heli..... now do FULL aerobatic routines that are more than modified wheel stands....

And YES, they could get a 20X20 land, and hover around with there planes all day! LOL>....
Old 01-02-2014, 06:30 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Man, that's gotta just suck when those damn trees jump out in front of a guy's airplane. sorry, I couldn't help it. I had to say it.

I'm gonna leave my Fox 1.20 twin cylinder and Enya R120-4C as full time glow ignition engines but I may convert my 23cc SuperTigre to diesel.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:53 PM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
Man, that's gotta just suck when those damn trees jump out in front of a guy's airplane. sorry, I couldn't help it. I had to say it.

I'm gonna leave my Fox 1.20 twin cylinder and Enya R120-4C as full time glow ignition engines but I may convert my 23cc SuperTigre to diesel.
No problem, those trees are nasty creatures. You take an eye off them, and they move...

I was lucky until last year... Making the approach to turn into final, and one of the nasty creatures made a run for it, and f I flew the giant stick right into it. Fortunately, the field was recently plowed, and soft. When I was able to shake it loose from the tree, the only damage was on the wing (damage sustained as it flew into the darn thing). A replacement wing solved the problem. I soaked and washed the electric motor, under the faucet, and it is running like new.

But I will never trust those huge trees again... Said that, the GS is so big I thought I was closer to the runway than I actually was....

Gerry
Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

We have those trees too. They party about 300 feet from the end of the runway and jump up and grab planes as they turn onto final. Having your plane grabbed is a rite of passage at our club.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:42 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I agree....except that the hobby is cooler with electric, not nearly as cool....

I love all forms of model power, but I find my glow models gathering much mod dust these days.
I was a die hard glo and gas guy 4 years ago but after owning more E planes i sold off all my glow and gas planes . Flying E-planes is cool and alot easyer fo me to handle.Just because we fly electrct planes does not mean its not just as fun as glo or gas and they can look cool to. joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_7086.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1953879   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0217.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1953880  
Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Laser Engines, here in the UK, have done tests their engines on a conversion to gas.

A UK flier has a qoute off the company..

I asked about petrol engines and was told that although testing had been done there was no real move towards it. I was also told that the testing proved that conversions are not really possible without seriously effecting the reliability and performance of the engine. Mechanically they are ok, but the carburation is very poor even with pumped carbies. There is also little saving when it comes to fuel costs on small engines, and fitting all the extra stuff into a small model is a problem. he said it was very unlikely that they would do a petrol engine under 40cc
Old 01-03-2014, 01:14 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cymaz View Post
Laser Engines, here in the UK, have done tests their engines on a conversion to gas.

A UK flier has a qoute off the company..

Originally Posted by cymaz View Post
I asked about petrol engines and was told that although testing had been done there was no real move towards it. I was also told that the testing proved that conversions are not really possible without seriously effecting the reliability and performance of the engine. Mechanically they are ok, but the carburation is very poor even with pumped carbies. There is also little saving when it comes to fuel costs on small engines, and fitting all the extra stuff into a small model is a problem. he said it was very unlikely that they would do a petrol engine under 40cc

I have seen the so called "test results" done by Lazer & the results were the same power output for glow ignition/glow fuel, CDI/glow fuel & full on gas conversion.

The poster claimed that the CDI ignition timing W/glow fuel had to be retarded compared to gasoline or the transition suffered. Sorry, but that is just plain ludicrous.

Here is a CDI/glow fuel conversion done by CH Ignitions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3uuf4c-H0

IMO, this is the best way to go for large glow" engines.

Fuel consumption is cut dramatically & power output increases slightly. There is also a marked reduction in "slime". Also note that there aren’t any transition problems.