Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Rossi 45 homemade pipe.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:27 AM
SIKrandall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are definitely variables that I can't duplicate. The head pipe portion before you get into the actual muffler on mine is a rossi unit and is therefore somewhat different in layout than a Jett or ultra thrust, I kinda guessed on the length of the "tube inside a tube" as well. Im not an exhaust guru by trade. I did, however, email one by the name of dub Jett and asked for some advice on it. We'll see if he writes back. I wouldnt blame him if he didnt.

Speedracer what field do you fly at? I drive by one on my way to San Francisco all the time. Seems like its about half way between San Fran and Gilroy. Im from Fresno area so I dont really know the lay of the land there, but I was always interested in stopping by.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sik, if you are coming from Fresno you are passing a couple fields. Just as you come into Gilroy on 152 you could cross over to HWY 25 and be very close to the Wavemasters field. The one that you are referring to is the SCCMAS field just off 101 5 miles north of Gilroy. As far as where I fly, I roam from the Arvin, Fresno, Salinas, Wavemasters, SCCMAS and Sacramento Area Modelers field with most flying being done at the latter. The Fresno field is hosting a race on March 22. Check in the scale racing forums for lots of info on Scale warbird racing.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 AM
SIKrandall

I definitely will. The field just north of Gilroy next to the 101 is the one I was referring to. I've seen many planes in the air driving by thst one. I am definitely going to try to attend that Fresno event. Maybe ill run into you out there.

Thats the field north of fresno on ave 12 correct?

Last edited by SIKrandall; 02-18-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:54 AM
speedracerntrixie

Yes, that is the one. I'm not sure if I will make it to that race. As of right now I don't have an airplane finished and will not have an engine for the one I am building for another 2 weeks. Going to be tight if I can get it finished.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:16 AM
SIKrandall

Do you do the internal work on your engines yourself? I've got a few im interested in fooling with.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:38 AM
speedracerntrixie

I do but by no means an engine guru. I just follow the path laid out by others.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:52 PM
SIKrandall

Im no stranger to machine tools. I just need a general idea of what direction to use them. Figured building exhaust was a good place to start. Dub emailed me back with some numbers and I by pure chance got it right. We'll see what happens.....
Old 02-18-2014, 03:29 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The ports that will benefit from modification most IMO is the exhaust port and crank inlet port. Increasing exhaust timing boosts the powerband and lengthens the exhaust scavenging time (blowdown period). Of course the trade-off to this is lowered trapped compression. The crank inlet port in conjunction with exhaust port timing can give a denser fuel charge however there is no standard so-to-speak for the crank inlet timing number. That number seems to be all over the place depending on the engine manufacturer. Downunder has posted a list of the engines he's degreed with when and how long the ports are open for comparison purposes. Best thing to do is make a degree wheel and degree the engines to get a baseline timing reading as well as a baseline tach reading on a test stand. Make small changes and retest on the test stand. It's suggested doing testing on an engine either you don't care one iota about or one you can get new parts for. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:08 PM
SIKrandall

I think thats what im going to do. Ive got a couple evolutions and sleeves are dirt cheap for those. Might stick one in the mill then clean it up by hand. I feel like it would be a lot more precise.