Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Four Stroke Valve Train Lubrication

Old 03-29-2014, 05:33 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is easy to remove the valve cover and give the rockers and stuff a little oil. I think it is a good idea to oil them up some too. The only way for oil to get into the rocker area is from blow by past the valve guides and up past the lifters in the cambox area. So about all that gets into the rocker area is a little oil mist. Now that little oil is usually all that is needed, but I think oiling the top end a little more is a good idea. You may never need to bother with it again after that first time, except to check the valve gaps off and on.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Bill Adair
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not thread related, but since it was already mentioned! The Kawasaki Mach III was a wild machine! My one and only thrilling ride on a one was on White Sands Missile Range/Holloman AFB, NM, in about 1970. There are miles of smooth paved roads, and the one I turned onto ran to the back gate at the east boundary of White Sands Missile Range. I still smile when I remember that ride, as the front wheel was held off the pavement through most of the gears, and when I last glanced down at the speedometer it was just passing through 100 mph (in what seemed like seconds) and was still climbing! I chickened out at that point, as I'd never gone that fast on a motorcycle before! I still smile fondly when I remember the horrendous acceleration, and screaming sound of that engine going through the gears!

Bill
Old 03-29-2014, 04:18 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tha 250 samurai would cane most run of the mill 650 trumpies or beeza's.Bill the first h1a had nuetral on the bottom and five up,all the rest of the triple twostrokes were the more conventional 1 down and four up.Brakes were average for the day and most frames felt like they had a hinge in the middle somewhere.Just another factor the factory added to the adrenalin mix

ps old z1 kwaka's have increased hugely in price these recent years.The young blokes today are even restoring old mach 3&4's..probably because they never rode one yet...costs them around twenty grand by the time they finish.

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 03-29-2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: more bs
Old 03-29-2014, 10:55 PM
Ernie Misner

This is a fun thread. Interesting how many of us were into motorcycles. Go karts also, like me, anyone? Any musicians, artists, or photographers also? I did not know or forgot that Puch/Indian 2-stroke with dual pistons. Apparently it did not pan out long term with real advantages. About the foggin oil in aerosol cans, CRC makes a very reasonable outboard fogger too. (cheap but probably not as good as the Corrosion X) It's slick to blast it into the 4-stroke crankcase under pressure. If the piston is at BTC the pressure will force it up to TDC (not on compression stroke) then you know a good amount went in. If you are not going to run that engine for a few weeks or more, set the plane with the cylinder pointing straight down and eventually the oil works it's way past the lifters and clear up into the top end. You know it's there when it starts forming droplets coming completely out past the rocker cover bolts.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:22 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Ernie, at nearly 72 years old I'm still into those two wheeled machines, I just put new brake pads on this one yesterday. I sing in a choir and play a Martin D3R and love old and new musicals.

I tried four gallons of this WildCat 2/4 full synthetic, i does not appear to leave engines dry inside as other full synthetic. I have scientific way to test it other than to leave an engine sit open for six weeks. It passed that test, so maybe someone could try some other full synthetic that way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Harley under lights 003 (Small).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1982692   Click image for larger version

Name:	WildCat 2x4.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1982693  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 03-30-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:58 AM
earlwb

Yeah I love motorcycles too. I currently have a 1992 Sportster XLH 1200cc bike.

But many many years ago when I was in the USMC, I used to love the ride through Joshua Tree National Park near TwentyNine Palms California, when I was stationed there. It had something like 200 turns and switchbacks to ride through. But if you went to fast in a turn, you were in a heap of trouble when you left the road. The terrain was bad, but fortunately, no cliffs though.

Also back then Highway 62 to Parker was great as the police were rarely out on that road and it had some awesome long straight runs where you could really wind up a motorcycle. At the time I was riding a Norton Commando 750 with a Dunstall 810 kit. I also had the British electric underwear that I could plug into the bike for those long rides home to Arizona on the holidays.

Before I had hopped up the Norton, I used to run it at the Arizona Drag Strip in the "run what you ride" types of events. There was a guy who rode a Kawasaki Mach III who used to hate me, as he couldn't beat me down the strip. The Norton you see handles great, no bad tendencies, squirrelly behavior. etc. But the Mach III had problems with the frame and how it handled, so it would be all over the track as the owner tried to keep it straight. So I would beat him all the time, and it drove him pretty nuts in frustration. The Mach III should have had more than enough power to beat the Norton, but the frame was bad and flexed too much. The main thing I liked about the Norton which was something shared by most of the British bikes of the time was their great handling and cornering ablility in the turns. Which was why I loved to blast through Joshua Tree National Park with all of those turns to ride through.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:25 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Tha 250 samurai would cane most run of the mill 650 trumpies or beeza's.Bill the first h1a had nuetral on the bottom and five up,all the rest of the triple twostrokes were the more conventional 1 down and four up.Brakes were average for the day and most frames felt like they had a hinge in the middle somewhere.Just another factor the factory added to the adrenalin mix

ps old z1 kwaka's have increased hugely in price these recent years.The young blokes today are even restoring old mach 3&4's..probably because they never rode one yet...costs them around twenty grand by the time they finish.

I had 650 Beezer that had 10.5:1 pistons & a Spitfire cam that definately wasn't "run of the mill".
Old 03-30-2014, 07:28 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by Hobbsy

I tried four gallons of this WildCat 2/4 full synthetic, i does not appear to leave engines dry inside as other full synthetic. I have scientific way to test it other than to leave an engine sit open for six weeks. It passed that test, so maybe someone could try some other full synthetic that way.
Regular Cool Power, 15% nitro, 16% lube doesn't leave my engines "dry" either.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:16 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Ernie, yeah, my degree is in painting. Can you believe that?!

Earl, that is a bit hard to believe, especially with the drag version. Are you sure?
Old 03-30-2014, 06:33 PM
earlwb

Originally Posted by blw
Ernie, yeah, my degree is in painting. Can you believe that?!

Earl, that is a bit hard to believe, especially with the drag version. Are you sure?
The bikes had to be street legal, pretty much stock. You had to ride them in to the drag strip. There were people there inspecting the bikes to check them out as well. The Mach III's that I tried were all pretty squirrelly off the line. That power band being on or off made them really tricky to handle. When it came into the power band there was that huge spike in power and the rear wheel would either break loose or you'd wheely over on yourself, then the frame would flex a lot too when you stayed in the middle where rear wheel didn't break loose and the front wheel stayed down. The stock rear wheel didn't exactly have a large rear tire on it either. The one guy I used to race with, sort of cheated, he would trailer the bike to within a few miles and then pull it off the trailer and ride it in. But then he lived quite a ways away though, so I didn't complain. I would just ride my bike in from home, and I carried a bunch of new Champion spark plugs with me. The Champion plugs at the time tended to burn out after a few miles but they were good for a couple of hundred extra RPMs over the NGK plugs. But I would put in a new set of plugs for every run. After the day was over for me, I would put the NGK plugs back in and ride on back home. But at the time I did not compete against any custom drag versions of the Mach III. They were in a different class from my bike.

Last edited by earlwb; 03-30-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Ernie Misner

Great that you are into music as well Hobbsy. I bet that Martin has a sweet sound. BLW, you're right, never would have guessed that your degree was in painting. Surely as in fine art and not house painting.... Bet it is interesting how that does enrichen your life in many ways though. I guess the question is why go full synthetic if it 'might' give as much protection as a blend. Easier clean up? I still have Evel Kneivel's tachometer sitting here on my desk. In 1967 I was a motorcycle mechanic at a shop that sold Yamaha, Bultaco, and Triumph. Evel came to town (Tacoma, WA) a couple of times back then and he would set up shop with us because he was riding a 650 Triumph at the time. I was a teenager and the 2-stroke mechanic, so this was all hugely exciting of course. He crashed big time on his first visit and we had to rebuild his bike. It was either a stripped down Bonneville or a TT Special; I don't remember which now. I threw his banged up tachometer in my lunch box and took it home, not thinking too much of it at the time. Unfortunately I did not get him to autograph it for me. On our racing 2-strokes we often removed the flywheel completely, just leaving the little cam that ran the points on the crankshaft instead of the whole flywheel, then used a little battery and constant loss ignition system. Rpm's were still limited by the points floating and of course it was an imperfect setup. I told my boss that ignitions of the future surely would not have points, but would simply use a pulse coming off of a magnet somehow. He thought I was a smart ass kid.....
Old 03-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Bill Adair
My Feedback: (1)

I only have one four-stroke engine, an OS 26FS I bought from a friend, who swore it was new when he got it, and he only ran it on the bench to check it out. It is still un-run by me, but I do oil it regularly with Marvel Air Tool oil, and flip it over a few times to circulate the oil.

Ernie, Your name rang a bell, so I checked the link in your message, and found the most wonderful collection of photographs I've seen in ages! We lived in Federal Way for almost 30 years, but moved to Portland after I retired, to be near our youngest granddaughters. Also flew R/C with the Boeing club, and the RAMS club for the last ten years we were there.

Guess I never noticed the handling problems with the Mach III, but the straight smooth road I was on, and keeping the front wheel off the pavement most of the time must have masked the problem. <G>

Lots of talent on this forum, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of you are also into target shooting, and reloading?

Bill
Old 03-31-2014, 02:11 AM
Rudolph Hart

Look out!

ps earl it's not fair you having a featherbed frame on the 750 commando but you paid for it with nortons 'isolastic' engine mounts.Dunstall was a legend back then did you fit the bikini fairing as well?

I've got a black ducati gt1000 with reverse cone staintune mufflers,kinda look like the old commando pipes..just sounds better
Old 03-31-2014, 04:20 AM
Hobbsy

Ernie, the D3R is a 1996 model and is Martin's own in house knock off of the D 35 but costs $1,059.00 bucks instead of $3,000.00. My neighbor in W.Va. had a 200cc Bultaco motocrosser, it was fast and he was fast, when he went around the mx track it looked like he was out for a Sunday cruise except he would be half a race track ahead of the 2nd place guy I rode a MAICO in the mid 70's, loved it. I attended a qualifier mx race in Mid Ohio and got to see Pierre Karsmaker, Zdeneck Velke, Juaraslav Falta, Rodger Decoster, Ake Johnson and others. There were guys flying control line in the parking lot between heats. I'm sure I messed up Karsmakers name. Nope I got it right. WHen it cvomes to suspension I learned fro mx that more suspension travel is better so My sportster wears 13.5" shocks on the rear in lieu of the stock 11.75's.

BA, you have a sweetheart of an engine in that .26, hang onto it.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 03-31-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 AM
Rudolph Hart

Dave you name dropper

So you've got longer shockies on your harley right,i wanna see the go pro footage of you riding it thru some twisties and just to make it harder you'll be doing it buck naked with a D3R strapped across your back.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:43 AM
blw

I've seen 650 Commandos run, but not the 750. Deprived upbringing.

What is it about motorcycles around here? That has to be the number one killer of whatever the subject is. The late Bill Robison was the worst offender when it came to bikes.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Rudolph Hart

Apologies to anyone who is offended.I just thought everything that was ever going to be said about the op's post had been said.

The reason for the motorcycle chatter..you have to drive a car,you like to ride a bike.

It's a good natured way of teasing dave about his harley.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Hobbsy

No apology needed, just address the OP's concerns along with the off topic chatter.

PS, Pete, I rode that HD 52 miles today to break in the brake pads. 50 degrees is a we bit chilly for a longer ride. The temptation to turn loose that 79 ft. lbs. of torque is nearly overwhelming.

Barry, a gearhead is a gearhead is a gearhead, an incurable disease that farm boys catch when very young.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:30 PM
blw

Not just farm boys!

Last edited by Hobbsy; 04-01-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Hobbsy

Sorry I missed the reply box and hit edit..

I hear that about the, not only farm boys.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:20 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love about anything with a good engine in it, and the stories/data ............................
Old 04-02-2014, 02:39 AM
Rudolph Hart

Not sure what happened to the edit dave.

Growing up on the farm in new zealand you needed a fast farm bike to catch the sheep...hee hee

Has the op bought an 82 and what does he think of it...???
Old 04-02-2014, 03:30 AM
Rudolph Hart

You too capt do you ride?

Wandered off to look up a torque figure for the gt1000.It's 67ft pounds for 60 cubic inches and the bike weighs 185 kgs or 407 pounds.

Dave the last fresh set of front pads i put was on a heavy suzuki hayabusa 1400 for a friend.It took a while for them to bed and a lot of weight to pull up in a hurry.

Barry you were reminesing?(how the hell do you spell that word?) about if a z1 ever came your way.Unlikely to be what most of us would consider cheap given how little in comparision to the price you paid when they were new.

One of four pre-production 1969 honda 750 fours with hand hammered exhausts and sand casting engine cases just sold at auction over there in california.I think they got 134,000 us

ps the guy with the 1400 suzuki calls it hannibal the cannibal(tyres)and he's getting around a thousand miles to each hard compound rear,thats without smoking it up.

pps jeezuz h forgot to add..any news on the op's 82 yet?

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 04-02-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:52 AM
Hobbsy

It really bothers my son the his 150 HP Yamaha R-1 has only 78 ft. lbs of torque and my 70.5 HP Sporty has 79 ft. LBS. The HP occurs at 5,800 and the torque peaks at 3,500 but the torques curve is fairly flat from 2,500 to 4,500.

At one time I had two Saito .72s, I planted one in the center of a concrete road in Ft. Belvoir, Va, Dar Zeelon now owns the other one. I had an .82 about the same time and sold it not fully broken in. w8ye has the only .91 I owned. I now own a 1.00 I just put new bearings in and it's great.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:42 AM
blw

We need to get W8YE to list all of his engines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.