Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Irvine .40 back plate

Old 04-21-2014, 07:48 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Irvine .40 back plate

Hi all,

I have a Irvine .40MKII that has the plastic back plate. This is a used engine that the last owner WAY over tightened the screws, destroying the plastic flanges.
Is there an aluminum back plate from Irvine or another manufacturer that will fit? Thanks for any help.

Tony
Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Irvine fitted an Aluminium back plate to the Q40 and 40 Diesel versions of the Mk II 40, however both this back plate and the composite back plate are no longer available for purchase as new spare parts.

Sourcing a parts engine from the famous on-line auction site may be your best bet.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:26 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Tony, you may be able to save the day with some washers and then only tighten the screws to about 3 inch pounds. 3 inch pounds is just a firm twist with your finger tips. The backplate has no structural purpose so just tight enough to seal is good enough. If the backplate is warped a little, UltraCopper by Form-a-Gasket will save the day. Just don't use any petroleum product as ARO when using the UltraCopper.
Pictured is an Irvine ,40, (bumpy), the washers are not a pretty fix but effective.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Irvine .40 BackPlate (Small).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1988930  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 04-22-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you cut and file dress a piece of non-flexible 1/8th sheet alloy using the back plate as a stencil for the outline, and then drill holes for the mounting bolts again using the back plate holes as a guide, mount it behind the back plate and it should seal up . You will need to replace the back plate scews with some 4-40 screws that are 1/8th longer though, to assure good security and non-stripping of the threaded recesses in the case.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:22 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I think I will try the washers first.

Thanks, Tony