Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 55 troubles!!! Help!

Old 08-19-2014, 05:12 AM
Caseman08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 55 troubles!!! Help!

I am having the hardest time to get a new OS 55 to run correctly and consistent. It fires right up most of the time with a chicken stick no problems. Some times it will tune right up and run for a few moments with no problem then cut off. Other times it will fire up and cut off once throttle is applied and other times it with cut off after throttle applied and the glow starter removed... I've been running cheap tower power 10 percent because that's all I have at the moment. Could it be the nitro? I donno??? Very frustrated at this point!! Any tips and tuning advise would be more then appreciate!!

Thanks!
Casey
Old 08-20-2014, 11:10 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First replace the plug. If that doesn't work, try fresh fuel. The nitro is no problem for that engine.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As previously stated, first try a new glow plug. Secondly make sure the fuel is fresh. Thirdly, make sure that you do not have the needle valve set to lean a setting. I've seen many glow engines act the same way, just because of a lean needle valve setting.

Percent of fuel should not be a problem with that engine. I have a OS 55 AX and have run 10 and 15 percent in it. Presently running 30%. Yes Sir, I said 30% and no problems. Only reason for running the 30% is because I have heard of other hobbyists running it and thought that I would give it a try. Gallon is almost gone and personally, I will most likely switch back to the 15% fuel.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:29 PM
flyinwalenda

As mentioned that is the place to start. A new plug and some fresh fuel. You may have to open the low end needle just a bit as well as the high speed needle to get it running if there is tarnish built-up inside. It really depends how you cared for and stored the engine.
You may have to remove the high speed needle and back-flush the carb. Remove the fuel line from the carb after you have the needle removed and connect your fuel pump line to the carb and pump some fuel through and out the HS needle housing. Any dirt,etc should be flushed out.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Caseman08

Thanks for the response guys! The only problem is there is no hobby shop in north Mississippi so it will be next week befor I can get some new plugs and fuel ordered from somewhere. But I will give it all a try and hopefully get it going. Still very new to the hobby so Ill have alot to learn!!

Thanks!
Casey
Old 08-21-2014, 03:02 AM
flyinwalenda

Also , check all of the fuel lines inside and outside the tank. Make sure there are no cracks or pin holes in them,make sure the rubber stopper in the tank is not leaking and that the pressure line from the muffler is solid. If these lines are several years old they may need to be changed.