Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Cox .09 TD and Exhaust Throttle

Old 01-23-2015, 06:49 PM
Steve Westphal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cox .09 TD and Exhaust Throttle

My brother(the pilot) and myself(the builder) want to put a Cox .09 on an11 foot glider. It has a fiberglass fuse with a nice "built up" wing. We are going to use the .09 but would like to have a bit of throttle if possible. We want to put an exhaust baffle on it just like the brass sleeves used on other engines. I am guessing a band with a width of 1/2 inch or so. We don't need a perfect throttle, just something to ease it off somewhat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ps......the glider has no ailerons. we plan to give it a "high start" boost but not a power boost!!!!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:16 PM
aspeed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think an 11 foot glider will need to be 'eased off'. A wire made into a hook can be run through the fuselage, and pull the fuel line through the hole to kink the line for a shutoff. That will give a bit of safety anyway.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:05 PM
earlwb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with Aspeed, in that you don't need a throttle. Just partially fill the fuel tank to have a go at it. You add some fuel and time how long it runs. Add a little more if it seems a bit short in time or less if it runs too long. Then try the test flight. The glider should slowly and majestically lumber off into the air, just go easy and let it climb gently until you get the hang of it more.

Now I don't remember them making a sleeve throttle for the Tee Dee .09, but they could have. They did have some simple carburetors that one could have obtained years ago for the engines though. You might get lucky and run across one sometime. The muffler throttle or sleeve throttle for the Medallion .09 might happen to fit it though. I never tried it myself. But I think the cylinders are pretty much the same in any case. The Tee Dee's used sub-piston port induction, and thus they will not idle all that low with a sleeve type of throttle. But you can slow the engine down by quite a bit, and it makes a handy way to kill the engine too.