Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS Wankel .30

Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 PM
Ram Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS Wankel .30

I just thought I share this with anyone who is anticipating the purchase of an old OS Wankel.

I just got my Wankel on eBay a few days ago. Just as I suspected, the crank or output shaft and rotor were stuck fast. The engine was new and never had a drop of fuel in it. The 40 year old castor oil had congealed and locked-up the rotor. DO NOT dive in and disassemble the engine! I soaked my engine in fresh Sig Manufacturing fuel. I removed the carburetor and with a small funnel poured fresh fuel in both the intake and exhaust ports. 20 minutes later the rotor was free. Over a 24 hour period I drained the rotor case, and pored fresh fuel into the crankcase repeatedly - I used over a pint of fuel. After 24 hours I drained the fuel/castor mix out of the engine and filled the crankcase with Mobil 1 Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. She turns over nicely now with good compression (for a Wankel) and I suspect will be a good runner.

Just to be safe I ordered new rotor seals and springs from Tower Hobbies - before they are no longer available. Just resist the temptation to tear the little engine apart because many owners have been unsuccessful at reassembling them - they never run again.

I can't wait for the 3 feet of snow melt away from my yard so I can break her in.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 03-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite engine design in real life.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Ram Jet

Yes, I've been fascinated with the Wankel for years. This is the first time I had my hands on one. Since you are in Wisconsin you know what my Michigan weather has been like. Anyway, I've learned that the Wankel is thirsty on fuel and long on overheating. I plan on running some Sig Manufacturing 5% nitro and 25% castor with 9 x 5 APC prop. I also plan on a long and tedious break-in period. Should be fun.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 03-03-2015, 03:33 AM
Iflyglow

I think 25% oil is good, but I would run like a 50/50 blend of syn/cas. You woukd think the apex seals would get all gooked up with that much castor.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:55 AM
Ram Jet

Originally Posted by Iflyglow View Post
I think 25% oil is good, but I would run like a 50/50 blend of syn/cas. You woukd think the apex seals would get all gooked up with that much castor.
Thanks, that's good advice. I printed the user manuals for both the 49PI and the later 49PI Type II. The manual for the 49PI recommends 25% and the 49PI Type II is 15%. Maybe I'll break it in with 25% and switch to a castor synthetic blend for normal running. But, I agree, possibly 25% pure castor is not a good idea for the long haul. I personally don't care for castor oil anyway, it only does one thing well and that's maintain it's film strength at high temperatures. But it's generally foul, dirty lubrication.

I can't wait for spring, and not just because I want to run my Wankel. Bill, are you playing with your Wankel again!!! :-o

Cheers,

Bill
Old 03-03-2015, 07:46 AM
Iflyglow

I normally mix my fuel at about 85/15 synthetic to castor for a total percentage of 18%. That's for my 2 strokes.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Ram Jet

Originally Posted by Iflyglow View Post
I normally mix my fuel at about 85/15 synthetic to castor for a total percentage of 18%. That's for my 2 strokes.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...astor-oil.html

I think you'll find this website informative. Scroll down to a guy who's handle is "nitroexpress". A good read.

Cheers,

Bill