Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

How do I remove dried castor oil from an engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

How do I remove dried castor oil from an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 03:56 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Zobaco
just last weekend I received two trucks with stuck engines due to years of storage with fuel residue. The engines were completely stuck as were the carbs. I wish I had found this post earlier but my only solution was using a typical carburetor cleaner and spraying it through the exhaust and through the carburetor into the engine then letting it soak. Within the hour the engine was moving. The piston ring took a little more to free and required me to remove the glow plug and throw some cleaner in there.
These are fairly modern engines (Traxxas and Team associated) but they now run normally without issue. Based on what I am reading here, I could have damaged something, I guess I am lucky.

regards
Those engines are ringless designs and likely have anodized heads on them. I've heard the antifreeze method will strip anodizing as will Dawn Power Dissolver if left too long. That would kinda suck - I like anodized parts.

Generally, an engine stuck from storage for a long time most often will only need a little heat and some glow fuel inside to loosen up. Petroleum solvents will break down the seals and such not to mention could take out the glow plug (or cause other problems) when trying to start. Carb cleaner is a scary thing due to its flammability IMO.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Ultracon46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but what I do is boil a pot of water, take if off the stove and then dunk the engine or the carb, whatever you want to free up, and in seconds, the old oil is melted and you are off and running. Don't burn yourself......
Old 12-14-2017, 05:08 AM
dmrcflyr2
My Feedback: (43)

Here is my method.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:12 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just spray it on without water, and use a toothbrush. It works pretty good. Some of the carboned up stuff doesn't want to come off. I have been thinking of doing it the redneck way. A vibrating sander with a sealed metal container bungeed on. It really works pretty good without it though. I still have some of the Dawn Power Dissolver too. I have walked by the U Sonic cleaner at Harbor Freight, but passed. I really don't have any more dirty engines except two really old ones. Do those videos make you any significant money? I wonder if I should bother.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Prohack01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using the crock pot antifreeze method, I was tempted to get parts washer / cleaner but it seemed like a lot more for something I would not use often. My main concern with water based methods was residual water that could be left in ball bearings that could cause rust. I have been using brake cleaner to clean after soaking. Is my concern about the water valid? Is anyone using parts cleaner or find a source for it cheaper?
Old 01-23-2018, 09:31 PM
Knatter

Interesting! I have never herd of that method!

Do you use just any standard antifreeze as used in cars?

And do you heat it in the crock pot? If so, to what temperature?
Old 01-24-2018, 07:22 PM
ochsnm00

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Using the anti freeze wll damage the finish on the aluminum and turn it all gray. If you can find it the Dawn power dissolver works great spray it on wait a few minutes then wash off.
I use Power Dissolver on engines and in the kitchen, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere lately. I wonder if it has been discontinued.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:53 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the LA Totally Awesome cleaner from the Dollar Tree. Only $1.40 and is concentrated and works well. Maybe the Dawn is a bit more aggressive, but more caustic, much like a BBQ cleaner. I just use the crock pot antifreeze on nasty mufflers and pipe to get inside carbon out.The Dawn stuff seems to have changed from a household cleaner to an industrial cleaner, so I would not bother looking for it any more. I am glad I got three bottles though as sI use it as a first choice.and then the LA Awesome stuff.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:24 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Depending on what I’m cleaning, I use different cleaning agents and methods.

My favorite is Dawn Power Dissolver. Spray on, let sit 10-15min, scrub with a toothbrush, rinse and dry.

Barkeepers Friend cleanser, a little water, and a toothbrush. Scrub, rinse, dry.

LA’s Totally Awesome. Same process as Dawn Power Dissolver except it may need multiple sprays with cleaner to lift/soften the grungy stuff.

Antifreeze in a crockpot. Low heat, green antifreeze, 6-8hr soak. Rinse and dry.

Rust removal - Evaporust. Soak for 10-15min minimum. Rinse and dry, and oil immediately once dry.

Any of these methods or others mentioned will require oiling of Ferrous parts to prevent rusting.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:19 AM
ochsnm00

After a Google search I found that Power Dissolver was discontinued due to poor sales.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

It’s not discontinued. It’s just not sold retail anymore. You can find it through janitorial supply companies and Amazon.

Examples: https://www.pjpmarketplace.com/dawn-...iABEgKog_D_BwE

Or https://www.amazon.com/Procter-Gambl.../dp/B00PRACR7W