Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

My first Giant Scale. ST3000.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:06 AM
EBGFLIGHT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool My first Giant Scale. ST3000.

Just started my first giant scale engine. A Super Tiger S3000. I have heard people have problems with this engine, but I believe my setup should function well. I have a OS7D carb and a perry pump. The engine started quickly with my electric starter. I let it idle for a few seconds and when I tried to rev it up, it sputtered and died. I think it is running too rich as I have my perry pump regulator cranked all the way in. Anyway, on my second start my plastic nose cone exploded. On to get an aluminum one. I will keep updated. Excited to fly giant scale!
Old 05-21-2015, 01:13 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If I may make a suggestion, lose the pump until you get the engine broken in and the carb set up. The 3000 is a fine engine as is it's own carb.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:48 PM
EBGFLIGHT

Why lose the pump? The engine is already broken in and carb is set up from previous owner. I was thinkin it would help improve a lean condition in vertical climb due to having a huge gas tank
Old 05-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Hobbsy

You need to get the carb dialed in first, then install the pump.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:42 PM
EBGFLIGHT

Seems to me to be the other way around. You would want to dial in the regulator on the fuel pump for best running conditions, then the high speed, then the low speed. Assuming the fuel pump isn't my only method of fuel delivery, if I set up my carb to run correctly with out a pump, then throw one on there, it would just throw off my carb by altering the imput pressure. Therefore the only reason it would run at this point would be because the reg was somehow adjusted close enough to the imput pressure from the pipe, or however your alternate fuel supply system functions. Anyway I am going to set it up pump first, factory settings at carb. Once I get a new spinner, I will let you know the results. Although I appreciate the imput. Thanks.

Last edited by EBGFLIGHT; 05-21-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:55 AM
Hobbsy

EB, I like to set up things first that are known quantities, The OS carb is a piece of cake, the Perry pump is a nightmare to set up, a huge guessing game if you will. The only thing you can adjust on one the Perry is the pump volume, the regulator is set at .25 psi.

Last edited by Hobbsy; 05-22-2015 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:31 AM
EBGFLIGHT

I see what you mean as the muffler pressure system actually increases the fuel pressure as rev's increase where the Pump pressure on the perry is constant but the fuel flow increases with revs. So the perrry pump supplies a linear amount of fuel where the muffler pressure system supplies it on a curve, which the engine was designed for. I think the way I'm doing it would make it less of a nightmare to set-up. Maybe I am just lucky but my settings fired up first spin. if it doesn't work out I am just going to go with the fuel system that was originally on it with a cline regulator. It's a really old bird so I'm guessing that system worked well for awhile. Until the previous owner roasted the engine. Which is why I got the perry to make sure that never happens again.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Hobbsy

The Cline is a great set up, your engine will run exactly the same form full tank to empty. Run a .050" balldriver through the check valve to make sure it is open, I clear any old castor out of the regulator body by connecting a fuel bulb to the outlet and let it draw anything out that might clog it up.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:35 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Super Tigre 2300 I use a Perry pump. The way I do it I have a "T" at the inlet to the carb. The fuel can ether go into the carb.or return to the tank. The tank vent is open to the air no muffler. I have flown this airplane for almost 10 years hundreds of flights. Starts easy idles real slow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00084.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	2097989  
Old 05-30-2015, 04:12 PM
EBGFLIGHT

Sounds good I'm guessing you have a 3 hose tank and use one for a vent?
Old 05-30-2015, 04:21 PM
EBGFLIGHT

Will run great with a muffler pressure system but the perry pump just floods it and burns out my plug. with every plug I can tune it better but I will try your method so I don't have to keep buying plugs
Old 06-16-2015, 12:35 PM
EBGFLIGHT

I've tried all methods suggested and can't get this thing to run past 1/4 throttle with this pump! You were right Hobbsy these are a nightmare to tune! Runs like a champ without the pump, therefore I am throwing the pump to the scrap heap. The tank is really close and at just the right level that I think it will do fine running on pure muffler pressure. Thanks!