Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

YS FZ 110S leaning out

Old 09-24-2015, 03:27 PM
hkusp45
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS FZ 110S leaning out

Hopefully, someone with true YS engine experience can help me.

I purchased a YS FZ110S, many years ago brand new. The first time I started to break the engine in, I had issues keeping it running because it would lean out and throw a prop when you would open the throttle. Adjusting the high needle would not do anything except flood the engine at low rpm. I also adjust the regulator which led with negative results. And yes, there was plenty of pressure in the fuel tank. I then went onto YS forums to learn about this beast.

So I eventually dismantled the engine and used a blow gun to clean everything.

Once I assemble the engine, I was able to get it running perfect at low and high end. I turned off the engine to cool it down, and I depressurized the tank. After 20 minutes, I started the engine so I can fine tune the low end. But before I began to adjust anything, I was unable to open the throttle because the engine began to surge. I attempted to make adjustments but led with just throwing prop. And there was plenty of pressure in the tank. I dismantle the engine, cleaned out all fuel lines and assembled the engine. I was able to start the engine and it ran great. But this was not over.

The next week I took my YS to the flying field where it first ran fine. The engine ran well in low and high idle while in the air. I landed the plane, released the tank pressure, and I took a 20 min break. I refueled the tank and started the engine. Just as I began to raise the throttle, the engine began to surge. Adjusting the high end needle did not do anything except flood at low idle. Adjusting the regulator also had negative results.

So does anyone have an answer to my dilemma. The engine is setup inverted, and I have used two different types of YS fuel which does not seem to be an issue to the engine surging. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:38 PM
kenh3497

Do you use a fuel filter? IMO a fuel filter is a must with a YS engine. Surging is an indication of a lean mixture. Pressure is a good thing but it sounds like there is a a restriction of fuel flow someplace. I've not seen it but some claim there are small bits of silicone inside new fuel lines. I would start with a flush of the entire fuel system including the tank. Install a fuel filter and try again.

Another thing is to check that there are no air leaks anyplace on the engine itself. Check all the bolts for tightness. The engine should be dry on the outside. If you see oil, you have a leak that needs to be sealed.

There is a YS support fourm here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ys-engines-support-197/ Good luck finding the problem. YS's are great running engines.

Ken
Old 09-28-2015, 09:13 PM
hkusp45
My Feedback: (9)

Thanks for the info. I received some info on the regulators that were used on the 110s. Apparently.the regulator was a bad design.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:09 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Another thing to check is to make sure the clunk is far enough away from the back of the tank. It can make the engine starve at high throttle settings. The regulator should be flush, or very close. Start with the Regulator flush, then adjust the high end to be slightly rich. 500-600 off peak, then make small adjustments to the regulator to get 2000-2100 idle rpm.

If you are using hi-nitro (more than 20%), proper engine mixture will seem rich. This is normal. And of course, no Castor oil allowed in YS engines. This will kill the diaphragm.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:10 PM
kenh3497

warhawk, Can you explain to me what the castor does to the diaphragm. I know some of the YS diaphragms are silicone some are "mylar" or similar. I don't know how castor can be detrimental to either material.

Thanks. Ken
Old 09-30-2015, 05:35 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

I was under the impression that castor oil would alter the elastic properties of the diaphragm. But YS allows up to 2% Castor so I may be off base in my assumption.

The YS factory recommends no less than 20% oil in the fuel mixture. Many commercial fuels contain less than this. Use of these fuels may cause damage to the engine and/or poor running characteristics. Not to mention invalidate the guarantee. Fuels containing large percentages of castor oil can cause fuel pump/regulator trouble. We recommend you use 100% synthetic oil in the fuel, but 18% synthetic and 2% castor is suitable also.

The following website has some good info on setting YS Engines http://www.julton.net/Fact%20Sheet%20YS%20Engines.html

Old 10-02-2015, 11:24 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flush all sides of the regulator and you should be good to go. A must to use filters before the engine.