Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Have you ever tried this glow adapter ?

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Have you ever tried this glow adapter ?

Old 10-14-2015, 05:33 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have you ever tried this glow adapter ?

Guys,
I am sure that many of us are tired from the 1.2V NiCd or Nimh glowplug adapters,
that have to be charged before every flight.

I am searching for a while to find a glow adapter that can handle our 12V Pb batteries that
we all carry for our engine starters,
and provide out glowplugs with the appropriate 1.2Vs.

I recently found this one:
It has a Input Current: 1A 6-24V
and
Output Voltage:1.20V-1.25V

-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	2125324   Click image for larger version

Name:	10206867-7.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	477.9 KB
ID:	2125325   Click image for larger version

Name:	10206867-8.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	2125326  
Old 10-14-2015, 06:47 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not tried that one that runs off of 12v but have been using the wired connector that connects to my field box glow igniter connector. I have not used the NiCad or nimh battery glow igniter in years. The wired one always has a charge and I can turn it hotter or cooler with the twist of a dial. I have however accidently plugged it straight into the 12v outlet once and fried 2, yes 2 glow plugs before I realized I had it plugged into the wrong outlet. With this system, it looks fool proof. You could even plug it into a lipo battery if you wanted.

The only downside that I have had with the corded igniter has been that I have to bring the airplane back to the starting bench every time if it dies where as with a NiCad, you can plug it in out on the runway and give it a flip with your finger and be off. Other than that, I think that item would work great. I have a c cell battery powered glow igniter in my field box for emergencies if my battery on my box dies. I have used C, AA and AAA in it before with a little bit of change as needed for spacers. Works in a pinch.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:16 AM
Mr Cox

The problem with NiMh and NiCd is that they only have enough voltage when they are absolutely fully charged, while the average voltage during discharge is only 1.2V.

The best handheld driver I've tried are the Lipo battery ones with a regulated 1.5V output, independent on battery charging state; http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN1926

Name:	DYN1926-450.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	2125682  
Old 10-16-2015, 04:32 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prolux make a unit similar to the one above and also one that connects to a battery lipo .life whatever . They are good units and well worth buying . Hobbyking sell one like Kostas is refering to and I got one that lasted about 5 min . Everyone has issues with them . What I did was cut the plug driver off and soldered in one these hobbykings units and this works well I have mine connected to a 5s 5000 lpo and all good so far , you can use far smaller batts if u wish .
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_1_5V_4A.html
This is the prolux one I have
http://www.prolux.com.tw/exec/produc...-FEATURES&lg=E
Cheers the pope

Last edited by the pope; 10-16-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:18 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostas1 View Post
Guys,
I am sure that many of us are tired from the 1.2V NiCd or Nimh glowplug adapters,
that have to be charged before every flight.
If you have to charge the glo driver after every flight your doing something wrong. I have 3 McDaniel Ni-starters (glo drivers) of the nicad type and any of them will last all day long through many starts. In fact they usually last through several days of flying.

http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/home.php?cat=284

The corded ones in my opinion suck because not only do you have to use the flight box or external battery but many times I have seen the prop catch the cord. The best compromise for the corded option is something like the RCats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN8F41o_y4k Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 10-17-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:22 AM
Kostas1

I think that you use something like this mounted on your field box?

Name:	lhcap0302.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	2126290