Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

On Board Glow Drivers. Discussion Q&A

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

On Board Glow Drivers. Discussion Q&A

Old 11-08-2015, 04:12 PM
SlickZERO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On Board Glow Drivers. Discussion Q&A

I use all 4 stroke, mostly cowled in, and some inverted. I love the on board glow drivers. I have been using Sullivan for many years. When properly set up I just turn it on, hit the starter, and fly. They will sit there an idle for a long as it takes to get to the flight line.
Recently I have noticed several others. Many have been out for a long time but I have no personal experience with them. I just ordered a SwitchGlo Pro unit for a small plane because you can use the receiver battery. Anybody have one and maybe programming advise?
Hopefully we can discuss and get answers for various OBG systems.

I know there are people that swear by CDI ignition systems even for glow engines.
CDI is a great system but this thread is for us glow plug nuts that want to use on board glow and/or experiment with them.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:05 PM
coriolan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using the receiver batt. to power an On board glow driver might be risky,potential control loss when the voltage drop too much!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:16 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Only if you have it set up so the plug is glowing all the time..............usually you activate it when the throttle is 99% down. Well, maybe 95%
Old 11-10-2015, 05:59 AM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by tailskid View Post
Only if you have it set up so the plug is glowing all the time..............usually you activate it when the throttle is 99% down. Well, maybe 95%

To me, the question would be, "Is it worth the risk ?" Does the onboard glow have a pre-set cutoff point to insure that the RX battery has enough power to run the RX and servos ? IF not, saving the weight and expense of an extra battery could prove to be a false frugality.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:01 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

I am a big fan of remote glow mostly because of cowled engines. The two types I have used the most are now discontinued, I might look at the switchglow. I am a little concerned about taxing the receiver batt. I am building a small scale plane that will need on board and I would like to save weight so that is an option
Old 11-10-2015, 08:33 AM
TomCrump

I use the fine units, from Electrodynamics. http://www.electrodynam.com/store/GlowLite.shtml

They are a breeze to set up and are very reliable.

Last edited by TomCrump; 11-28-2015 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:33 AM
kmeyers

Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
To me, the question would be, "Is it worth the risk ?" Does the onboard glow have a pre-set cutoff point to insure that the RX battery has enough power to run the RX and servos ? IF not, saving the weight and expense of an extra battery could prove to be a false frugality.
+1
Recently I put my "Fluke" amp meter on a glow plug. It drew 3.5 amps. (O.S. #8 @1.5 volts)

I use on board glow with a standalone battery design. With the battery technology today carrying the needed electrons is not a problem of weight. Just a problem of thought and proper planning.

Everyone can do as they think best. This is just my way for now.

Note: The standard wire connector J and Futaba type are rated for 2 amps @ 5 v and will quickly heat up at the plug ends under higher loads.

Last edited by kmeyers; 11-10-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: after thought : note
Old 11-27-2015, 05:20 PM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

I use Ram asse., have had no problems. Just installed one on a Beaver, am running a FT 300 with a Ram twin system. Installed a 10 amp d cell to run the driver as the Ft 300 is good for flame out on a cylinder
Old 06-23-2016, 08:57 PM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

this will be my setup for my glow radial engine....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Radial Engine Glow Driver System - O.S. fr 300 syrius.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	2169362