Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Satio 100T (twin) idol question.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:47 AM
I_Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satio 100T (twin) idol question.

Hello

I have a new Satio 100T that does not want to behave. This is the 100 twin version with dual carbs. At this piont it has less than an hour of run time. So after a bit of rich break in running it was time to lean it out some and get it ready to fly. It seems to run nicely when above half throttle. At lower throttle settings it seems to drop a cylinder (run on only one side). It's not always the same cylinder so I'm scratching my head a little bit. One of the guys in our club suggested an on-board glow driver for near idol and idol speed. None of my other glow engines (both 2 and 4 stroke) have ever needed an on-board glow driver for reliable idol. This twin is different so I'm wondering if it is normal to need the on-board glow driver or if more break in and/or adjustment is required.

Engine - Satio 100T
Prop - 13X7 (should be in the size range)
Fuel - Omega 15% 4stroke (green color)
Plane - Great Planes J-3 Cub ARF
Plugs - OS F

The fuel seems good and my Satio FA115 loves the stuff.
I may try a slightly bigger prop but I don't think that is a factor.

If using on-board glow drivers to keep both cyclinders going is normal, what is the best choice?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2016, 07:08 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

no one is answering, so I will take a jab,

I don't know the problem, but the first thing that comes to my mind is that you have 2 carbs, so do you have only 1 side of the exhaust pressuring the fuel tank ? to me I figure that if you have 2 carbs you need twice the pressure in the fuel tank,,, so try pressurizing the tank from both mufflers

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 11-05-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:57 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

now this (below) I have seen before, let me tell the story (s),

there was a guy that had a Magnum 160 twin, his engine stalled a lot at different times, I knew the problem, to me it was very-very easy, I told him his prop was to small, you do not fly a 160 with a 13 inch APC prop, I sold him a 15 inch APC prop for $7, his problem was instantly solved,
you also don't fly a GMS 61 with a super lite 9X4 wood Zinger, the GMS is not a revver, again, after 3 hours of this guy working, a 12X6 APC fixed the problem instantly, what was the problem for both engines, not enough Flywheel Effect, those 2 engines would accelerate the RPMs so quickly they would starve themselves by pulling all the fuel out of the carburetor, they simply need more Flywheel Effect to slow their acceleration.

let me add, that IF their problem was not that they needed more Flywheel Effect it was most likely the fact that they surly had the wrong plugs for the super lite Props they were using.

as for your engine, to me a 13X7 should be on a 75 or 80 size 2St engine, after all people do, as I did, fly an OS 61Fx with an APC 12X6,, and your engine is a 4St, and 4St engines do use larger diameter props than a 2St of the same size, so maybe you should be turning a 14X6 or 14X4.

boy, I sure hope I have helped you, I would not want to be bashed for my opinion LOL LOL

get to work and try a larger prop LOL
Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 11-05-2016 at 08:15 PM. Reason: well, the wife told me to, well she directed me to and told me if I didn't edit things would go wrong for me like a wrong pro
Old 11-06-2016, 03:29 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (101)

I run a 14x6 Xoar on my 1.00 T, my guess is that it's dropping the right cylinder. The air bleed hole is invisible on the right cylinder, bend about 3/16" of paper clip 90 degrees and try to insert it in the right carbs air bleed hole. If it won't go in, the ab is too rich, (too closed), if it goes in easily turn the ab screw cw until it hits the paper clip wire, that should be ball park. I know that the picture doesn't help, but at least you know that I have one.

Jim is correct on the more load idea, it enhances cylinder filling and therefore raises combustion temperature.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0962.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2189111  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 11-07-2016 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:25 PM
TFF

I would also check valve clearances. I wonder if you retune the needles but start with the one that drops out first. See if you end up with the same setup?
Old 11-07-2016, 03:59 AM
I_Fly

Thanks for the replies. Some good information. I don't think it's the muffler pressure or the prop size. I've seen others with the same pressure setup working fine and it's part of the patio design. The symptoms when it dies do not match those of a prop that is too small. It's good to have thought it through and eliminated those possibilities.

I'm going to look at the low speed needle setting again. I think they may be too lean. Will start with the manual suggestions again and go from there. I'll post what I find.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:11 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (101)

Fly, setting the AB screw halfway across the inlet hole will be very close to the final setting, the paper clip idea should put invisible rear one about the same. The airbleeds don't have much authority and serve only as a trim for different fuels and props etc.