Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS 55AX Connecting Rod Broken

Old 09-02-2017, 11:33 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

LOL better technology thats why you need to put an OS carb on it to get it to run right LOL
Old 09-02-2017, 12:42 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
LOL better technology thats why you need to put an OS carb on it to get it to run right LOL
I should have said better metallurgy. Sorry.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:16 PM
Propworn

I have 30 plus years’ seniority as a tool maker, machine repair at Fords where my job is installation and maintenance of new equipment from these emerging tech countries. China, the Koreas, India, Pakistan etc and as far as metallurgy is concerned all I can say is doo doo, kaa kaa. The ten million a line they save on the front end easily gets used up within a year replacing the critical components with real stuff.

Magnum crumbly mounting lugs right out of the box, porous snout between main and nose bearing and carb spigot falls apart when retaining screw is tightened.

ASP some run some don’t without work. Typical 3rd world tech. casting little better than Magnum.

Thunder Chicken now there is another winner don't know how many cams had to be replaced in the .90 it was the only one I ever bought I figured it looked like an OS clone how badly could they screw it up.

YS, OS, Moki, Saito, Supertiger, there is a reason these have been around forever and not only command a premium price but have a continuous loyal following the others can only envy.

Look closely at these third world engines and they are inexpensive clones of an OS and sometimes they clone an OS that is no longer in production LOL. I have boxes and boxes of carcass old and new, worn out and crash damaged and just about every OS part can find a home in one of the clones. Anyone is welcome to come and search through the stuff to see if there is something they can make work.

Let’s see how this works now. Buy a new Magnum (OS clone) then to get it to run right buy an OS carb that just happens to be an exact fit. Now any self respecting copy artist should at least be capable of producing a copy of a carb that works right? How many years have they been doing this and they still haven’t figured it out? They must be spending all they’re time concentrating on superior metallurgy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL give your head a shake.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:35 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Why does OS still produce nickel plated brass cylinder engines that peel? The Chinese have been chroming brass for decades and they never peel. Add to that chrome is FAR better than nickel - especially when properly applied... Why do people flock to Hobby king or whatever outfit sells an ASP piston/cylinder that fits an OS as fine and use them instead of OEM stuff? Because OEM OS stuff sucks.

I wont argue with you. I know well enough.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:59 PM
aspeed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bolted in my AX .55 in the Astro Hog, so I am hoping for the best. It had an AX .46 and still needs noseweight. Always fun to argue with Dennis. One thing that bothers me about OS is the screws holding in the carbs. They never seem to use a pinch bolt which slips in a crash. I guess they like selling crankcases and plastic backplates. Dennis, do you have an LA .10 crankcase in your box? I have been fiddling with a control line carb on a broken case and it will work, but an undamaged case would be nice. The nickel plating, well.... Have you ever seen a CS casting? They are wonderful chinese holey sculptures. They can be made to work, but are more of an assembled kit. Uctkam Russian motors are the same marvels with sand in the castings that the drills crunch up, and the tapped holes ruin the bolts. Norvels are cool though. I don't think any motor is perfect really. I will fiddle with any of them, but buy most OS stuff used and hope they don't need parts. ASP/Magnum (same thing) XLS blue head motors are pretty good bang for the buck. I think they copied the Rossi in that case more than the OS as they used to. I worked making radar for many countries. India, as part of the contract insisted on doing some of the work themselves for cost savings. They poured the bases for the radar. It all had to be removed as it was not strong enough. It was easy to do, being pretty much all sand. My work buddy on the night shift was talking on the phone and says Hey there is an elephant walking by on the main street. i guess the rich people ride elephants to cruise the main drag. South Korea and the Chinese had a lot of contracts with us too. Similar stories, but not as extreme. I will likely get some blue head .15s or .25s soon, as Magnum is back working again. They kept me off unemployment insurance for a few years so it is the least I can do. I would do less though if I could.

Last edited by aspeed; 09-02-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:05 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

so I'm thinking now that the OS 55, like the OS 65 is made in China too,, and I "was" thinking at one time about buying an OS 65 to run on a tuned pipe

if you have another OS 55 Rod brake, find out if the OS 55 Heli Rod will fit

Jim
Old 09-02-2017, 10:10 PM
sarpet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12x8 is too big prop.
bad bearings and mayde bend crankshaft is why engine not run properly and back kick caused conrod failure.
how many blade groove you can see when you look side runing engine prop.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Mr Cox

OS used proper crome in their ducted fan engines, and they also use it in their current car engines. So they do know that crome is better, but they are still selling their "ABC technology" and "advanced bimetallic liner" that doesn't work, that kind of bugs me too...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	2230314  
Old 09-03-2017, 12:08 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Mr Cox View Post
OS used proper crome in their ducted fan engines, and they also use it in their current car engines. So they do know that crome is better, but they are still selling their "ABC technology" and "advanced bimetallic liner" that doesn't work, that kind of bugs me too...
As I understand, they've never used real hard chrome in any ringless airplane engines. Only car engines. Some of the ringed FSR engines got hard chrome in the liner (not sure why on a hard steel liner). The ringless brass liners used to get a single step nickel layer where the later ones seem to have a two-step layer. Current and recent production ringed two-strokes have nickel plated steel liners. Funny that those don't peel.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:59 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ASP makes very good liners. Buy 10-15 ASP engines, replace cranks with OS crank and maybe rods and have an awesome engine.
How many of you guys would be interested in a non pressurized YS 56 sport engine with muffler? Would you buy one if a little more than a OS 55 but way better quality?
Old 09-03-2017, 01:43 AM
Mr Cox

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
As I understand, they've never used real hard chrome in any ringless airplane engines.
The exception to that would be the ducted fan (DF) engines. I don't have any of those myself but a friend at our field has one.

Here is a picture from the web:

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	2230318
Old 09-03-2017, 02:44 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Mr Cox View Post
The exception to that would be the ducted fan (DF) engines. I don't have any of those myself but a friend at our field has one.

Here is a picture from the web:

Attachment 2230318
Wow. All I'd seen is nickel liners. Like the VFDF series among others. I'm impressed.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:47 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by airraptor View Post
ASP makes very good liners. Buy 10-15 ASP engines, replace cranks with OS crank and maybe rods and have an awesome engine.
How many of you guys would be interested in a non pressurized YS 56 sport engine with muffler? Would you buy one if a little more than a OS 55 but way better quality?
If I was in the market for another 8cc engine, perhaps I would consider a YS.. However I've been on an Italian lick lately, so for the price, I might also consider a 10cc Novarossi as well.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:40 AM
ETpilot

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by särpet View Post
12x8 is too big prop.
bad bearings and mayde bend crankshaft is why engine not run properly and back kick caused conrod failure.
how many blade groove you can see when you look side runing engine prop.

I found an old thread on Flying Giants with same problem on same engine. Engine under warranty so OS covered the repair. What OS said happened is that the bushing spun out causing the rod to break. They didn't see any signs of overheating. Pictures in thread all match my rod condition. I, too, don't see any signs of overheating. In that thread it was also noted that a 12-8 prop was too much. Yesterday I balanced an 11-7 prop which I will use for the run.

Prop tracking is an interesting point. On full scale engines I check for prop tracking. Never gave thought to a model engine. I will see if I can check it on a test stand but will look when the engine runs. I can't remember seeing any problems when it was running.

Bearings, that is a hard one. I reused the original bearings. During the tear down I inspected them carefully. Still tight, no signs of overheating. Now crank rotates easily. No signs of binding nor friction spots. No unusual sounds when it was running. So not sure on the bearings.

I will see how it runs, hopefully today.

Im pretty sure the same rod is used for both airplane and heli engines.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:03 AM
Propworn

Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
Dennis, do you have an LA .10 crankcase in your box? I have been fiddling with a control line carb on a broken case and it will work, but an undamaged case would be nice..
Much smaller than a .25 is kind of unusual any more. Closest I could find is an old OS MAX-III .15 size. Sorry. Flea bay has a few in the 20 buck range.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:36 PM
thailazer

Originally Posted by ETpilot View Post
I found an old thread on Flying Giants with same problem on same engine. Engine under warranty so OS covered the repair. What OS said happened is that the bushing spun out causing the rod to break. They didn't see any signs of overheating. Pictures in thread all match my rod condition. I, too, don't see any signs of overheating. In that thread it was also noted that a 12-8 prop was too much. Yesterday I balanced an 11-7 prop which I will use for the run.

Prop tracking is an interesting point. On full scale engines I check for prop tracking. Never gave thought to a model engine. I will see if I can check it on a test stand but will look when the engine runs. I can't remember seeing any problems when it was running.

Bearings, that is a hard one. I reused the original bearings. During the tear down I inspected them carefully. Still tight, no signs of overheating. Now crank rotates easily. No signs of binding nor friction spots. No unusual sounds when it was running. So not sure on the bearings.

I will see how it runs, hopefully today.

Im pretty sure the same rod is used for both airplane and heli engines.
ET.... Hoping your test run goes well. Also make sure you replace your glow plug as I have had kick back problems on engines using off brand plugs. My bet is that you had a bad connecting rod from the manufacturer and perhaps a plug that gave you grief. Good luck...
Old 09-03-2017, 04:19 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by thailazer View Post
ET.... Hoping your test run goes well. Also make sure you replace your glow plug as I have had kick back problems on engines using off brand plugs. My bet is that you had a bad connecting rod from the manufacturer and perhaps a plug that gave you grief. Good luck...

For some unknown reason I'm having a hard time posting on the forum. I now am writing in another app the copy n paste to the forum.

Thanks thailzer. I have changed the plug at times. I use a cheap C cell plug igniter. A question in the Q&A forum caused me to comparison test a regular C cell to a NIMH battery. I found that the NIMH battery produced a hotter brighter plug glow. So that is one new change.

The day started out ok. I decided to check that prop tracking on the engine. I found that the new prop I have for the test run, tracked perfectly. I then checked the old prop and found one blade that was off ⅛”. Surprise. I checked the prop on a flat steel plate I have and sure enough it measured ⅛” off on one tip. I then checked some new props I have and all checked good. Interesting.

I started doing some catch up work. Then decided to finish cut a runway I keep at home before doing the engine run. Then the day went downhill. Cutting the runway I found wild hog damage on part of the runway. So the day went to setting up my trap to see if I can get them. Hogs have been hitting me this year. All damage has been off the runway but now they got the runway too. Bummer. I caught 2 back in March. Let's see what I get this time. Engine run on a later date.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	4.57 MB
ID:	2230444  
Old 09-03-2017, 04:28 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by thailazer View Post

For some unknown reason I'm having a hard time posting on the forum. I now am writing in another app then copy n paste to the forum.

Thanks thailzer. I have changed the plug at times. I use a cheap C cell plug igniter. A question in the Q&A forum caused me to comparison test a regular C cell to a NIMH battery. I found that the NIMH battery produced a hotter brighter plug glow. So that is one new change.

The day started out ok. I decided to check that prop tracking on the engine. I found that the new prop I have for the test run, tracked perfectly. I then installed and checked the old prop and found one blade that was off ⅛”. Surprise. I checked the prop on a flat steel plate I have and sure enough it measured ⅛” off on one tip. I then checked some new props I have and all checked good. Interesting.

I started doing some catch up work. Then decided to finish cut a runway I keep at home before doing the engine run. Then the day went downhill. Cutting the runway I found wild hog damage on part of the runway. So the day went to setting up my trap to see if I can get them. Hogs have been hitting me this year. All damage has been off the runway but now they got the runway too. Bummer. I caught 2 back in March. Let's see what I get this time. Engine run on a later date.

Views:	40
Size:	4.57 MB
ID:	2230445  
Old 10-09-2017, 02:31 PM
ETpilot

I see I was having problems with my last post. Double post sorry. I think my iPad is on its last leg. iPad II very old.

An update to this thread. The hog problem really sent me in different directions. Took time to get somewhat caught up. After my last post I trapped 6 hogs and later trapped a female weighing about 200 lbs. Total trapped this year 9.

The priority was to repair the runway. Then repair the pastures. In the meantime I had to keep the trap going. It all takes time. Now runway is just about restored to usable condition.

Today I finally had time to do that engine run. At first it started behaving as before. I adjusted the HSN for an initial run. As I leaned the needle, the engine began to run better and better. At one point it quit and would not start at all. It turned out to be a dead glow plug. After the plug replacement the engine just ran good. Idle to full throttle. Last run it did load up at idle and finally quit. I have adjusted the LSN a hair’s width lean. I will see how it does at this setting. Overall I think my engine problem is over. I plan to run some fuel thru it on the stand then try it on my test airplane.

Views:	30
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2240725  
Old 10-09-2017, 05:40 PM
blw

ETPilot- the double posts are a known RCU issue, so don't worry about those.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:50 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by blw View Post
ETPilot- the double posts are a known RCU issue, so don't worry about those.

Thanks for the info. My ipad is fading. I'm having all kinds of problems posting and just reading the forums. It locks up and I have to reboot. Time for a new one. I was given a Windows 10 and am relearning to use a regular computer and Windows 10. So at least I have a second route to the forums.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:18 PM
aspeed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This video came up on my facebook today. See if it shows up. Just thought about your little buddies that you invite for dinner. https://www.chonday.com/25888/cornfirlhar5/
Old 10-10-2017, 10:22 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

This forum has a lot of known issues that the "tech" team are incapable of fixing. I don't post here much anymore because it's not enjoyable to work around the forum problems. It's sad.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:10 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
This video came up on my facebook today. See if it shows up. Just thought about your little buddies that you invite for dinner. https://www.chonday.com/25888/cornfirlhar5/

I was able to open the video. Very interesting. Hogs can lurk anywhere. Now that they are active here, I carry a gun with me when close to the wooded area. I have followed their trail to the woods.

Thanks for posting.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:28 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
This forum has a lot of known issues that the "tech" team are incapable of fixing. I don't post here much anymore because it's not enjoyable to work around the forum problems. It's sad.
i have read posts of forum problems. Not as many now as before. For me it seems the RC forums work ok. On other forums I visit it s a big problem. iPad locks up fails to function. Have to reboot. This model is no longer supported by Apple. So it is time to move on to a new one. My biggest gripe is I can only attach one photo per post on this site using my iPad. I have a new to me Windows PC I will try out. Will see if problems still persist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.