Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

New engine for T-Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 04:01 PM
BrickitSAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine for T-Maxx

Hello,
I have a friend getting into the hobby and he bought a used T-maxx 2.5 but it came with the old .15 engine, he gave it to me to rebuild for him because it was full of gunk and had low feeling compression, so I rebuilt it basically new for him but the low compression was not fixed by cleaning it out. I looked at the cylinder sleeve, and sure enough, it was worn a lot and I was about to push the piston all the way through with almost no effort, so to replace that would be about $30, but he is now thinking of buying a new engine that's more powerful. I have a 3.3 engine and I think its pretty good but it's pretty pricey to buy, so I started looking on Ebay for cheaper replacement engines that were more powerful, I found a two but IDK if they are worth it, one is redcat and I have heard that their RC's are junk but what about their engines?
one's a XTM .18 engine, the other is the Modified 02060 VX 18 2.74CC engine.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:10 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

You may get more responses if you post this in the RC car engines section in the car/buggy forum. I've been running Losi and Traxxas cars for 20 years. I've used a few engines over the years, and in the last couple years I moved away from RTR type cheapie engines in favor of the better Italian engines from Novarossi and Picco. Novarossi has gotten much more affordable in recent years and because of that and their significantly better quality, I would recommend the 2.5cc (.15) Novarossi designed specifically for the T-Maxx and Revo. The engine and pipe is a bit more expensive than the "cheapie" engines you linked to, but they are worth it many times over. Very easy to break in and maintain, and they're stupid easy to tune. This is what I would suggest if I were in your situation: N2.5SC/RT-TM (for T-Maxx)

The engine is $150 and the matched pipe and manifold are $44. A chunk of change no doubt, but they are leaps and bounds better than a Traxxas or VX engine hands down.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:49 PM
BrickitSAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
You may get more responses if you post this in the RC car engines section in the car/buggy forum. I've been running Losi and Traxxas cars for 20 years. I've used a few engines over the years, and in the last couple years I moved away from RTR type cheapie engines in favor of the better Italian engines from Novarossi and Picco. Novarossi has gotten much more affordable in recent years and because of that and their significantly better quality, I would recommend the 2.5cc (.15) Novarossi designed specifically for the T-Maxx and Revo. The engine and pipe is a bit more expensive than the "cheapie" engines you linked to, but they are worth it many times over. Very easy to break in and maintain, and they're stupid easy to tune. This is what I would suggest if I were in your situation:

The engine is $150 and the matched pipe and manifold are $44. A chunk of change no doubt, but they are leaps and bounds better than a Traxxas or VX engine hands down.
ok thanks, I'll look into some of those engines, btw thanks for answering all my noob questions
Old 09-10-2017, 11:44 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

You're welcome. The Traxxas 2.5 and 3.3 are decent engines too, but tend to be a little finickier. The 3.3 has been known to split connecting rods if run too cold and rich during break-in (which is how Traxxas has outlined their engines be broken in), so that can be problematic - especially for novices. They are decent engines though. Another "cheap" option would be a Dynamite .19T. These are made by SH in Taiwan and are known to be decent runners. These engines I listed here retail for around $90-130 though, which is why I suggested the Nova right off the bat for $150. A little more money for legendary Nova quality and better/more power.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:14 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea what he said. I would avoid VX engines. SH engines are good quality. Traxxas are a solid "good" if, you get a good one and its not a 3.3, (but if your 3.3 breaks in well it should be ok properly fed). The 15 is a solid little engine if not the most powerful. Avoid "racing" fuels with very low oil content. Remember different engines have different carbs and exhaust types depending on your application. I have heard good stuff about Nova but I haven't gotten my hands on any.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:01 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

I always recommend a fuel containing 10-12% oil for car engines and in that is a 60/40 blend ratio of castor to synthetic oil. Most fuels are 70/30 or 80/20 if they have any castor at all. The exception is for new engines - I use 15% oil for the first quart, 14% second, 13%, third, 12% for the next 5 quarts, then drop to 11% oil fuel which is my normal oil content fuel.

For an off the shelf fuel, Blue Thunder Race (not the 8% oil stuff) is good fuel as is Trinity Monster HP. Others that is said to be really good is Werks and Bones brew though I've never used it.

And to add - the trick to getting the Traxxas 3.3's to last... break them in warm and avoid/forget the Traxxas break-in BS. Use a good fuel, run it rich but warm. I have a 3.3 that has 9 gallons of fuel through it on the original piston/liner/rod. I changed the bearings at 8 gallons. I have a brand new one in my drawer I'm saving for a rainy day. I'm gonna modify it a bit and see what it can really do.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 09-20-2017 at 05:31 PM.