Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

glow engines are fading away

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 07:25 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

oops

Last edited by the Wasp; 09-23-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:34 PM
the Wasp

Works out to 110 mph on paper with 8" pitch and 13,800 rpm. YMMV
that 11,800 was peaked, the guys on the "Extreme Speed Prop Planes page" told me I would have to richen it up around 400, 500 RPM,, but it should unload that much in the air..

BTW, with that pipe the engine jumps to peak RPM almost instantly,, neat
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ShoeString wPipe.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	2233376  
Old 10-07-2017, 11:00 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gas and electric are easier, cheaper, cleaner, and more convenient than glow. Naturally this has hurt the market for glow engines. Glow still has performance advantages in some applications. Electric lacks endurance and gas lacks power/weight in certain applications. Glow may die out with the people who were forced to learn them, much like actually building your model. I wont recommend glow for new modelers because I know its more work than they want to invest. Fortunately, there is a lot of very good NIB engines out there if they decided to stop making them.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:07 AM
nilsreinert123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think glow is the best option , if you have good engines like OS and Saito they are very reliable and easy to use , they are the lightest option on 40 -60 size and makes cooler sound ,and you dont have to charge batteries between each flight just fuel up and fly. They also vibrate less than gas. Electric takes away some of the charm of modeling i think.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:30 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Adding CDI to a glow increases both power and flight times, it just adds a little weight. Something I may look into for my Mustang, which is my largest Glow at 1.25. Since it can run leaner, it uses less oil, so the plane doesn't get as slimy, no more so than an oil rich gasser.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:49 AM
Psychron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Get one plane with a popper on it, tune it like you mean it, and fly that every so often just to show them you do know how. There is nothing sweeter than a well tuned Saito. I have one on my Somethin Xtra, and always get compliments on how smooth it runs.
I love your sig. It's fantastic and funny.

I love the old guys at my club too.. they're full of one liners like that. I told them I had retracts on my T-28 trojan, but I said it like this "yeah this baby has flaps and the landing gear retracts" and some smart mouthed whipper snapper yells over from the fight light, "They ALL retract!" lol. In context with your signature it's so true. Then they were helpful enough to remind me of a gear check pass before attempting to land just to make sure the gear was all down. So far so good on those.

Soooooo... the Popper.

I want one and I'd like to run this by you guys:

Here are my requirements.
1. It needs to have a wingspan no longer than 60 inches.
2. As much as I like glow engines and all, the cost for fuel is more than 5x the price of regular unleaded, but since this is a glow forum, let's pretend I want an engine .40 or higher that has a gasoline equivalent in case I need to swap it out if nitro goes to $150 a gallon.
3. I think I'd prefer a trainer over a low wing just because, while I can handle a low wing aircraft, I like the stability of a high wing.
4. I don't want to spend all winter building it while abandoning my family in the process (I do that... a lot.. need to stop) so I'd prefer an ARF.
5. I guess it can be made from foam or balsa. I hear they have gas powered foamies.

What do you think?
Old 10-08-2017, 07:03 AM
acdii

I would suggest a LT-40, but it has a 70" wing. I have a Saito FG-11 which is the gas version of I believe the 62, in it now. Prior to that I flew it with an OS-52. Then there is the Sig Somethin Xtra which is a mid wing, very fun to fly plane, and while it is no trainer, it does float well, and is tame on low rates. It also can fly well with an FG-14, which is a gas conversion of their 82. I have a Saito 72 in mine and it is a joy to fly. I have flown it so much the wings wiggle, yet still flies great.

Or you could go with an evolution 10CC which is a 2 stroke gas, if you don't mind the ugly noise they make, and find a plane that it will fit in. My planes are getting bigger as my eyesight is getting smaller, so my engines are growing up. I have a pair of NGH 38CC 4 stroke gas engines waiting for the B-25 to be finished, can't wait to hear what they sound like in a pair.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:16 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Glow won't fade away in my house/hangar/boathouse/garage. Gas engines are for yard work - I'll never use gas model engines. Ever. They are all proving to be far more cantankerous than glow engines are. The problem threads dealing with these engines shows plenty of problems with their cheap manufacture and finickyness.. I'll pass on gas.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:00 AM
sarpet

Ihave 30cc limit,smaller is glow and bigger is gas and ihave couple alfa model electric planes with 3s1300mah batterys for winter use.
ithink that 20cc gas and smaller is under power and over weight.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:55 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Glow won't fade away in my house/hangar/boathouse/garage. Gas engines are for yard work - I'll never use gas model engines. Ever. They are all proving to be far more cantankerous than glow engines are. The problem threads dealing with these engines shows plenty of problems with their cheap manufacture and finickyness.. I'll pass on gas.
Yeah, I am back to glow power 100%. I flew gas for a few years on my Super Scout ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/11607455-scout-aero-gas-project.html )

but I never liked the smell that just reminded me of lawn work! I used Avgas at the end and that was great, but when the ignition module died, I figured that was enough. I sure love the simplicity of glow engines. Sold the Twin Tartan and haven't looked back.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Mark Powell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom blue angles
I don't know,but it seems like glow engines are fading into oblivion. Back in the early 1980's, here is what was readily available;; Fox,Enya,Webra,Rossi,Magnum,YS,Thunder Tiger,Supertiger ASP,Etc. Now it seems like OS,and Evolution are about it. Its' all going to electric now.
Enya and Saito still exist. So does Rossi, now know as 'Novarossi'. Webra was taken over by the UK owned Weston, as was RCV, the 'rotary' four-strokes, and both are still made, and Weston also supply 'enhanced' Magnum engines and West engines, which are broadly based on the Webras but are totally different and more expensive. MVVS from the Czech Republic still exists. Some Cox engines are made in Canada and sold worldwide. The British PAW diesels still sell well, and genuine Oliver Tigers (not the Indian copies) are still made in small quantities.

So the apparent shortage seems to be a 'USA only' problem.

The USA is 'geographically and economically isolated' to some extent so many products are not exported there as finding a US distributor is not worth the bother, and nearby places such as Mexico and Brazil buy very little, as they haven't got any money, whereas one Europe based distributor can cover all the separate countries in Europe.
This works both ways, though the reason is different. There is too much competition in Europe for US products to gain a market. About the only US companies to make a real effort in Europe are Ford, Boeing, and Harley Davidson . As a result they all sell well, whereas GM has given up and sold its 'European' brand names to Peugot.

Last edited by Mark Powell; 11-05-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:00 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't forget ASP/Magnum. They are still going, and Magnum has a distributor again in the US. Not that that does me any good. Our $ seems to follow the Euro closer than the US $ so it costs a lot to get stuff priced in US $. Also Profi and Fora are a great choice for performance. Mecoa still has a lot of engine lines but like Cox is more of a liquidation house. Some parts are made in house but I don't think it is really a going concern for the distant future in like 40 years. Oh, and MP Jet and Jett, OPS, Picco...
Old 11-07-2017, 03:58 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Psychron
Here are my requirements.

4. I don't want to spend all winter building it while abandoning my family in the process (I do that... a lot.. need to stop) so I'd prefer an ARF.
I always interpret that comment to actually being "I don't want to stop watching TV".
Old 11-07-2017, 07:03 PM
acdii

Shoot I take building as getting AWAY from them! LOL
Old 11-08-2017, 04:09 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I am currently tied up cutting these logs into 25" lengths and splitting them into firewood, then the Sig Four Star is waiting and the 50 Caliber is supposed to be here today or tomorrow. Since I grew up on a dairy farm taking care of and milking 125 Holstein cows, operating 5 or 6 Farmall tractors and a D2 Caterpillar I sort of need to keep busy, and I do. Yep, my life in a nutshell.

Name:	Logs 2.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	2244082   Click image for larger version

Name:	50cal2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	601.0 KB
ID:	2244083   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1280.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	2244084   Click image for larger version

Name:	HobbsDairy_truck (Small).jpg
Views:	452
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2244085   Click image for larger version

Name:	560 and Cobey wagon (Small).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2244086  
Old 11-08-2017, 04:30 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blw
I always interpret that comment to actually being "I don't want to stop watching TV".
+1
Old 11-08-2017, 05:37 AM
Hobbsy

TV viewing is no good anymore unless you can find an older movie. I refuse to dial my IQ back to less than 5 to watch the current offerings.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:40 AM
acdii

Unless it's Stranger Things! Good show, Really good show.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

if you don't enjoy building you won't, before ARFs a lot built because that was the only way to get a plane, now the ARFS provide a escape from the building aspect for those who don't like building, me I enjoy building, its relaxing and I enjoy working with wood. I think the secret is don't push yourself, work at your own pace and don't make deadlines to meet. Sometimes I will go out to the shop and build for 15 min. and sometimes 3 hours, just depends on how I feel. There is something about taking a box of wood and making it into a beautiful work of art.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:51 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like that milk truck. 1950's? Needs a Hemi. Sorry, that is the Streetrodder in me talking.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Hobbsy

Originally Posted by aspeed
Like that milk truck. 1950's? Needs a Hemi. Sorry, that is the Streetrodder in me talking.
That is a 1964 Jeep with a 52 hp F head engine and a three speed on the floor. We had two of them, they made good milk trucks, it definitely could have used some more torque. The intake throb on them was louder than the exhaust. The third milk truck was a Divco with a 234 cubic inch Continental in it with 125 hp.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:34 PM
the Wasp

TV viewing is no good anymore unless you can find an older movie
you could watch Dr Phil, I like it when he gets mad at people, very entertaining LOL

Jim
Old 11-09-2017, 05:49 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm, nobody's come up with a 60 inch high wing ARF powered by a gas engine inspired by a "Popper", apparently a Saito.

There are tons of high wing ARFs that size, but nothing I would put a gas engine on. It would weigh too much and be overkill in power. Glow fuel doesn't cost much if you're running a four stroke on a 60 inch airplane. Also, a gas 2 stroke sounds nothing like a 4 stroke, so if 4 stroke is what you want to hear, get that.

There's a terrific video of someone flying a Sig LT-25 on a Saito 40. Check out youtube and see if it's the kind of thing you're looking for. The key is that it is light, so a lot of ARFs will not fly like that. You can spend $30 a gallon on fuel and a Saito 40 still won't cost you much to run.

Jim
Old 11-09-2017, 06:01 AM
Hobbsy

Jim, I fly one of my LT 25's with a Saito .30 and the second one with an LA .25, it's a perfect match in each case.

Name:	OS LA 25 on LT 25.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2244218  
Old 11-09-2017, 08:11 AM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking OOOOOOOOhhhhh,

When I saw the milk truck, the ole' brain cell started working. ASpeed has it covered with a HEMI, and an 'old school' hemi at that (the mid 60's '426' elephant engine and solid running gear.

And the "The Piece of Resis- T - Ance" ( That's redneck talk for French)
Convert it to a PLANE hauler, with the appropriate amenities of supporting operation of aircraft and PILOT.
And call it done !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.