Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito fa100 engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 05:40 AM
FlyingShark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito fa100 engine failure

I Bought a saito 100 as my first glow engine for my .60 size Astro-Hog. We broke it in step-by-step according to the manual, then leaned it out to top out at around 10,500 rpm on a 14x8 prop. When I got it out to the field for the maiden flight, I started it, let it warm up at 20% according to what the club members instructed me to do, then slowly revved up the engine and angled the aircraft roughly 45 degrees to the air to test leaning out, and as soon as throttle hit around 50%, the engine abruptly stopped. The prop didn't even carry inertia and stopped right against the compression stroke. I spun the engine again and there was no change in how the feel of the rotation was. We checked the valves and they were all functional. Seeing no problems, I tried to start it back up, but when the cylinder started firing it made this horrible knocking and clicking noise, then stopped after roughly five fires. We tried to start it again, but this time the cylinder would not fire and the prop locked up against the compression stroke.
The noise does not occur if a person rotates the engine manually, but when the piston starts firing the noise starts again.
What is this issue and is it fixable, or do I have to talk to saito and see if I can get a new one? I bought the engine brand new and it is still under warranty.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:41 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Clearly something is wrong. Take it back to your dealer or send it to Horizon Hobby for repair under warrantee.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:02 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Both needles are too lean, back the LS needle out one half turn and then the set the HS at about 3 turns out, it will be rich enough to be safe. Start it and sneak up on full throttle. Lean to full peak rpm then rich one click, now lean LS needle 1/8th turn at a time following the throttle downward as the idle improves. Be willing accept a sightly higher idle speed, the best transition is more important than the slowest idle speed.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:23 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

this is very rare for Saito. keep us posted.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:16 PM
psiturbo

what happened after all?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:30 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

This thread is nearly a year old, he probably either fixed it or junked it.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:03 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

I doubt if twisting the needles fixed it