Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

compression ratio for FAI fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 12:58 PM
rinkhals01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compression ratio for FAI fuel

Hi people.
I am in New Zealand and at sea level presently running all my IC engines on 85% methanol and 15% castor with OS#8 plug for 2st and OS-F for 4st.
I do find that the 2 strokes are more difficult to start and I have to use an electric starter as hand flipping is futile...also the tuning is quite sensitive and I was wondering if I tinkered with the head shims (and therefore the compression ratios), would it make a difference in starting, idling and tuning.....?
I am basically being a ninny and do not want to damage any of my precious engines so maybe some else reading this who is braver than I that has experience with compression ratios can help me out?
Many thanks in advance and kindest regards.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:23 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

The ideal compression ratio for FAI fuel is around 13.5:1. The ideal head spacing is .4mm or so (about .015”). If you can get close to this with just head shims, you’re in good shape. I would suggest a better glow plug (hotter) and also adding 2-4% acetone by volume which will improve idle quality and starting.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:24 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What engines are you using?

Some of the smaller two stroke engines are set-up for the US market that seem to use nitro as a fuel rather than a fuel additive. Other engines, from eastern europe, are set-up for low nitro from the beginning and will not like high nitro levels without lowering the compression ratio.

I regularly use FAI but prefer to use 5-10% nitro as that helps a bit with the running in cold weather, i.e. around the freezing point (0°C). I hand start all my engines (non-ringed) it is mainly about getting to know the engine and priming it just enough.

What fuel are you using? FAI fuel is 80% methanol and 20% castor oil. The fuel used for four stroke engines will tyically not have enough oil for a two-stroke engine to run well. The optimum compression ratio depends on many things, and the oil content is one of those variables.