Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Oh... the 'G' stands for Gas now(?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 09:23 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Oh... the 'G' stands for Gas now(?)

"Glow power" seems a taboo phrase anymore.

Thought to come here for a sympathetic ear and perhaps congenial explanation about an obvious trend. Hoping this talk doesn't come across as a gloom and doom, sulking thread or follow an issue already beaten to death.

Perhaps I've been going about my usual daily life with blinders on and living in the past; Just began to dawn on me that the hobby industry seems to be sweeping glow-interests out the door with current marketing ads. I realize that there have been little to no glow engine ads for years but the reason for the concern is that newly released products (model airplanes) has more emphasis on gas or electric power with no acknowledgement of glow/nitro/methanol as an option at least from one manufacturer/distributor (e.g. engine size in cc and an 'E' for electric). Began hoarding glow engines and related paraphernalia when I noticed smaller two-strokes become scarce a few years ago, but I always thought a majority of modeling - at least the sport side - would use or have a market for glow options ...

Just for the record, I have a few electric and gas powered aircraft but core interest lies with glow.

Has anyone here used gasoline or electric for medium-sized airplanes (.40 to 1.20) and is it a more desirable option nowadays? Willing to listen to any explanation.

I do know about the economy of gasoline/petrol over glow but wonder if that's the sole reason for favoring one over the other.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Gas price versus nitro price is number one for me.

The other, nitro is more of a pain to get with all the local hobby shops drying up, I pass 6 gas stations on my 15 minute drive to the field. To get glow I need to drive 45 minutes across town and I would need to call before i left to make sure they have what I need in stock
Old 01-07-2018, 10:03 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Or order Nitro and oil online and source methanol locally and make your own glow fuel. Hell, FAI 80/20 fuel is about $5-6/gal to make at home. Methanol is around $3/gal near me from a local oil company. Nitro averages $50/gal and castor can be had for $16/gal. Klotz techniplate is around $40/gal.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:13 AM
Prohack01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm keeping an eye on all of these methanol threads, seems like a good option, though for low nitro fuel its not much cheaper for me after you add the cost of the oils needed to add to it, its somewhat cheaper... has anyone mixed their own and calculated the price of a gal?
Old 01-11-2018, 02:09 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Prohack01
I'm keeping an eye on all of these methanol threads, seems like a good option, though for low nitro fuel its not much cheaper for me after you add the cost of the oils needed to add to it, its somewhat cheaper... has anyone mixed their own and calculated the price of a gal?
FAI fuel 80% methanol 20% castor is around $6/gal. Car fuel at 20% Nitro and 11% oil is around $20/gal.

The above costs are what ive figures my fuels cost. I made a spreadsheet to work out the amounts of each component to make a mixed volume of fuel and it shows me the cost of each component as well as a total gallon cost.

Nitromethane is around $50/gal online
Castor oil is around $16/gal online
Synthetic oil’s vary - approximately $40/gal online or a local go kart shop
Methanol I get for $2.75-3.00/gal from a local oil company that sells racing fuels.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
H5606

So far only added Sig castor to existing fuel when I thought it would be beneficial - nothing scientific - just a couple capfuls here and there - and some otherwise unused Xmas aftershave - for the right smell of course!

Don't have a problem paying the $19 for a gallon of fuel (yet) when I'm near a Hobby Works (local hobby store chain). Speaking glow, currently only active with a couple .049's, a .25, .40, .45, .46, and a .54 4-stroke for R/C; couple more for C/L. Although since hording began - last count was over century-mark of glow engines ranging from .010 to 1.50 cu. in. So, if life goes as planned and hoped for the future, will begin using more...

If the source and convenience for purchasing Morgan fuels (what they sell) disappear and/or I start using more and larger engines and flying more frequently, perhaps mixing own fuel will become more economical or necessary. I don't have a problem with that. Like anything else, supposing that once you do something a few times, you develop your own technique that works for you regarding mixing fuel.

Mix by weight or volume; if by volume, what are you using for measurement - make your own "tools"?

Last edited by H5606; 01-14-2018 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Fixes
Old 01-15-2018, 06:52 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I mix by weight, but weight of a volume. I weigh a given amount of each component to get that data. After doing some math (I made a spreadsheet), I determine the weight of each component I need and use a scale. Empty jug on scale, zero scale, add fuel component. Zero scale, add next component, and so on.

Most fuel companies mix by volume.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:18 AM
H5606

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Gas price versus nitro price is number one for me.

The other, nitro is more of a pain to get with all the local hobby shops drying up, I pass 6 gas stations on my 15 minute drive to the field. To get glow I need to drive 45 minutes across town and I would need to call before i left to make sure they have what I need in stock
Diplomatic and serious question - are you using gasoline in those (former glow-powered) aircraft now? I remember some glow development/experimentation for gasoline just a few years ago, but don't know how practical it was and it seems to have fizzled out... I think O.S. even developed a glow plug to work with gasoline; there was also a long-standing thread about a Norvel .40 running on gas here on RCU.

Don't really understand this recent push for gas/ignition in - what I would now consider medium sizes (.40-.60) i.e. added complexity (power to ignition system) and decreased performance. Can't help but think the modeling media is pushing to quell the appetite for glow based on the lack of ads and articles in magazines re glow power but the number of views at this discussion header (86 right now) would make me think the interest in glow is still prominent.

Last edited by H5606; 02-03-2018 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-03-2018, 06:23 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE] I remember some glow development/experimentation for gasoline just a few years ago, but don't know how practical it was and it seems to have fizzled out[/QUOT

if you go to YouTube and search, you will find many people outside the US burning Gas in their Glow engines, they are in those countries where Methanol and Nitro is scarce, some videos show these guys using stock Glow Carbs,, maybe search "OS 61, or OS 91 running on gas", you will find some Glow Heli engines running on gas

Don't really understand this recent push for gas/ignition in - what I would now consider medium sizes (.40-.60) i.e
agreed, the only reason I see to do so is if some one wants to fly a scale high wing like a cub in a Scale only manner,, but keep in mind some of those .60 size high wing planes have a span of over 70 inches

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 02-03-2018 at 06:30 PM.