Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

magnum engine problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 07:48 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default magnum engine problem.

Magnum XLS.46 rear mount needle valve fully closed to get engine to two-stroke. then of course,.... there is no adjustment for mixture,....what do I do ?.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:30 AM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

the Magnums are well known for this, the first thing to try is an OS Needle, it may fit tighter,

can you post a photo of the carb

Jim
Old 05-16-2018, 10:00 AM
r ward

can't post photo,....what do you need to know about the carb ?.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:55 AM
the Wasp

well if the Magnum's whole Needle Assembly (Needle Holder) unscrews at the Carb you may be able to replace it with an OS Needle Holder and Needle, this is because the Magnum and ASP engines are copies of the OS engine,, see my link for the OS Needle Holder,

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCR37&P=7

that's about all I can help you with, some one should be able to tell you if it fits, if it does don't forget to order the Needle too

good luck
Jim
Old 05-16-2018, 04:48 PM
r ward

ahhhh,....that would be a simple fix !. i'll have to check that out, (but I believe it is as you describe) and then order one from somewhere. there is no such thing as a hobby shop around me (closest is 90 mi. round trip and they don't sell OS). there was a good one that sold OS engines about 22 miles away but it closed about 4 years ago. . thanks for the heads up on the needle valve body issue.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:24 PM
r ward

i think I solved the problem. ...
blowing through a piece of fuel line with the needle valve screwed shut, I could always get air passing the remote main jet. I pulled the cap on the carb body and put the needle ass'y in the carb, by-passing the remote needle bracket and that stopped the air from passing the needle valve with it screwed all the way shut. evidently the jet in the remote bracket is no good. tomorrow, I will pull the engine remove the remote bracket and run new fuel line to the carb. then make a test run and see if tuning has improved,.....I'm thinking it will now run like an engine should. I noticed that the jet in the remote bracket is brass while the jet in the carb is steel. just a light seating (as it should be done) of the needle is all it took to stop the air flow when I put the needle in the carb, while even a firm seating in the remote bracket would not stop the air flow. prognosis,.....poorly made remote needle bracket. I do know that a given drill bit or reamer will drill or ream a larger diameter hole in brass than it will in steel,.... maybe the problem that gives Magnums their reputed problem that Wasp talks about. thank's Wasp, btw, ....your post got me thinking about putting the valve back in the carb..
Old 05-16-2018, 07:12 PM
the Wasp

you could post in the Engine Classifieds that you are looking for the OS 46 Needle and Needle Holder, some one will have one

edit, better yet ask on the OS Engine Club page, some one will have one

Jim
Old 05-16-2018, 08:00 PM
r ward

Originally Posted by the Wasp
you could post in the Engine Classifieds that you are looking for the OS 46 Needle and Needle Holder, some one will have one

edit, better yet ask on the OS Engine Club page, some one will have one

Jim
I think i'll just leave the needle where it is now. I really don't need the remote location. the engine came with it so I thought i'd try it. so much for that idea !. I guess that's what I get for buying a Magnum instead of investing in another OS,....never again. we'll see what tomorrow brings as far as tuning.

Last edited by r ward; 05-16-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:03 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I made the same fix on an Evolution .46. Moved the remote needle to the carburetor.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:28 AM
the Wasp

"Remote Needles"

the closer the Remote Needle is to the Carb the better the engine will run, with owning an OS 61FX I would have to guess that OS figured that out before they changed to the newer AX type Carbs

Jim