Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

saito 100

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 05:31 AM
jim takacs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saito 100

I am having trouble with the muffler coming loose on my saito 100 every time I fly. Its on my recently finished scratch built 1/4 scale taylorcraft. I am flying it without the cowling on till I get everything set up, also does anyone know if there is any problem with the exhaust blowing in the cowling, I cant get the muffler extension to stay on, I think I have enough openings in the cowl for enough cooling. thanks, Jim.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:37 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I use two layers of Teflon Plumber's tape and am not bashful with the wrench, no problem with them coming loose. Also check this out for a compact flexible option 12 x 1 for Saito 100.

engine_application_chart.pdf

Last edited by Hobbsy; 07-05-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:39 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

That should not be happening. One of the most important issues is to get as many of the exhaust pipe's threads pentrating the head. This means bottoming the pipe into the head and then backing up only as much as needed to get the desired angular position. Next, use the wrench hard and torque the jam nut very tightly.

I have tried most every thread seal method in the book. I finally settled on "SWAK" an anaerobic combination thread seal and lock. It works a bit like high temp Loctite but with teflon added. It fills all the voids well, like only a paste can.SWAK doesn't shred or tear and is very easy to apply.

Trouble is, it isn't sold in the average plumbing or hardware store. It is an industrial product and only found at a few sources. If you want to PM your address, I will send you a bit. (Free of course)

https://www.idealvac.com/product.asp?pid=3997

Oh, it isn't what you may call cheap but one tube will do for several flyers into the distant future! Everybody at our field is now converted to SWAK. After using it for the first time, they don't go back

Last edited by Jesse Open; 07-09-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:15 AM
jim takacs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a matter of fact I did do that over the weekend, It was loose at the muffler attach, so I tightened it as far as I could and also used a bit of Teflon tape on the threads, tightened up the jam nut hard, and its o.k. now. Thank you for your time and reply. Jim.