Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Reviving an engine after 15 years

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Bocajuniors55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reviving an engine after 15 years

I'm returning back to the hobby after 15 years. My step-son shows interest in RC and it was a great opportunity to teach him and get myself back into flying RC.

The engine is a OS .46 AX. The last time it ran I never added any storage oil to it. It feels like it has compression but it is also gummed up although I can spin it by hand with some effort.

the carb was so gummed up that I broke the throttle arm trying to turn it. (I think it the arm that's broken as it spins now but the carb barrell doesn't spin).

How do I begin to restore this engine? Remove the gumming?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:19 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First just squirt some fuel in the motor, bearings and carb. It will turn over nicely then. The carb might break free with that. If not then a bit of heat to it, like a hair dryer will help. Too bad you busted the arm already. I think you probably just loosened the nut or screw that holds the arm, hopefully
Old 08-19-2018, 06:20 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was given several motors much older and soaking the internals with glow fuel like aspeed suggested freed them up overnight. You never know if your stepson is intrigued by the engine restoration until you see what he thinks of it.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Bocajuniors55

Originally Posted by aspeed
First just squirt some fuel in the motor, bearings and carb. It will turn over nicely then. The carb might break free with that. If not then a bit of heat to it, like a hair dryer will help. Too bad you busted the arm already. I think you probably just loosened the nut or screw that holds the arm, hopefully
thanks for the tips. Even if it's broken the cost of the arm is worth the repair.

Originally Posted by blw
I was given several motors much older and soaking the internals with glow fuel like aspeed suggested freed them up overnight. You never know if your stepson is intrigued by the engine restoration until you see what he thinks of it.
he will definitely take part in getting this plane back up in the air! Thanks for your tips!
Old 08-21-2018, 04:21 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Heat is a huge helper at softening the goo to the point where solvents and oil may restore free movement.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:28 AM
Bocajuniors55

Thanks for the tips. Someone I know mentioned submerging the engine in heated automotive anti-freeze overnight?

Have you guys ever heard of this?

I am gowing to try glow fuel first.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:52 AM
aspeed

I have done the antifreeze in the crockpot thing. It is more for getting the stains off. The plastic and rubber bits have to be removed first or they will be ruined in most cases. I use the Dollar Tree LA Totally Awesome concentrated cleaner now, and don't even disassemble the motor. Sometimes I leave it on the plane and rinse. You just want to free it up to run first. Fuel and, if needed, heat is good enough for that. If the insides are black, sometimes even the cleaners or crockpot don't do the job on really nasty motors. I use laquer thinner or acetone with scotchbrite for that. I doubt your motor is that bad. I get a lot of abused $5 to $10 motors for parts, but usually restore them to use as beaters for combat type planes.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:10 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Heat will loosen up the engine. Try a hair dryer. If not line a pan with aluminum foil and put the engine in a warm/hot over not over the lowest setting for temperature for a hour or so. The gumminess is from the old Castor oil. It is by the way an excellent protector of the engine. Fuel will eventually work but heat will be faster. Sometimes the throttle arm is staked and that can be restaked with a small chisel or punch. Or maybe the screw holding it on has lost its grip. In that case, I would drop the carb in a pot of boiling water. It is the heat thing again. Anti freeze is used to clean the engine, removes stains etc. but prolonged use or to hot and it will stain the aluminum. Take your time. The AX is a fine engine. When you run it be sure you have some Castor oil in the fuel. Synthetic oils are great but Castor gives you high heat protection and keeps the old engine running for long time.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:24 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

The Dollar Tree chain has their own cleaner??? I need to check this out tomorrow.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:21 PM
Bocajuniors55

Originally Posted by wcmorrison
Heat will loosen up the engine. Try a hair dryer. If not line a pan with aluminum foil and put the engine in a warm/hot over not over the lowest setting for temperature for a hour or so. The gumminess is from the old Castor oil. It is by the way an excellent protector of the engine. Fuel will eventually work but heat will be faster. Sometimes the throttle arm is staked and that can be restaked with a small chisel or punch. Or maybe the screw holding it on has lost its grip. In that case, I would drop the carb in a pot of boiling water. It is the heat thing again. Anti freeze is used to clean the engine, removes stains etc. but prolonged use or to hot and it will stain the aluminum. Take your time. The AX is a fine engine. When you run it be sure you have some Castor oil in the fuel. Synthetic oils are great but Castor gives you high heat protection and keeps the old engine running for long time.
Thank you sir for all these tips. I will definitely try it out this weekend!

What do you think of the Carburetor seal (rubber O-ring) and the needle valve O-Rings? Should I replace them? They are kind of a rip off though. $5 each!! Engine was stored indoors in a dry environment.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:11 PM
aspeed

I have 50 year old motors with original o rings that are fine. They can get hard or crack from age. Sometimes it is fine. It depends. If you can turn the needle valves and doesn't leak, you can save your money.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:16 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Sometimes hardware stores and places like Loews or Home Depot have a selection of O-rings that are cheaper and work just as well. I get a whole selection of them from Harbor Freight for about $10 in a nice tray.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:08 PM
Bocajuniors55

Default Looking good so far!

All I had to do was douse the engine in some old glow fuel and everything freed up easily! The carb throttle lever was not damaged, I just needed to tighten the nut. Engine has great compression.

i cleaned all the stains with Super Clean and a nylon brush. O-Rings all look good. Tomorrow I will start her up hopefully!

I am really happy I stored this airplane and motor indoors all these years in the upstairs loft. I think that really helped preserve all these parts.

Thanks for all the help thus far gentlemen!
Old 09-06-2018, 03:38 PM
poeman1

I am trying to free up the carb on my OS 40 LA. I tried the boiling trick but so far that hasn't worked. I soaked it in Marvel Mystery and WD 40 with no luck and trying the oil soak again for tonight. I can buy a new one for abour $25 + shipping but don't know if it is worth it. I just hate to throw away a good engine just because the carb doesn't work. Got this on and EZ Fly 20 Trainer.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:07 PM
Bocajuniors55

Default Glow

Originally Posted by poeman1
I am trying to free up the carb on my OS 40 LA. I tried the boiling trick but so far that hasn't worked. I soaked it in Marvel Mystery and WD 40 with no luck and trying the oil soak again for tonight. I can buy a new one for abour $25 + shipping but don't know if it is worth it. I just hate to throw away a good engine just because the carb doesn't work. Got this on and EZ Fly 20 Trainer.
Did you try using Glow Fuel? Glow Fuel freed up my carb and engine as good as new like the other forum members recommended above. I didn't have to resort to any of the other methods you mentioned. It will only work if the Carb is gummed up by the old Castor oil. If corrosion has frozen your carb it may need replacement.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:30 AM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by poeman1

HEAT! (Beyond the "boiling") It often takes a dose of heat to make things move. I have done many where soaking did nothing. Once the heat is applied , things move. It has worked every time.

But ,you can keep soaking if you like
Old 09-07-2018, 06:19 AM
aspeed

Oddly enough, I have a LA .40 with a seized carb too.It has proven more difficult than many others. I will use a heat gun when I get it from the other house. There is a plastic body on the carb though. I have already made a control line carb for it, and a backplate mount. The backplate had split around the rim, and another LA.40 had a damaged backplate as well. Got both for $20, and one has a peeled liner. Hmm, good deal?
Old 09-09-2018, 01:03 PM
poeman1

I did finally get the carb freed up and ended up having to press out the carb cylinder, cleaned it up put it back together and it runs perfect. I tried boiling, glow fuel, WD 40 and curse words but that didn't work. I now have a ASP FS52 that was in the same shape and I ended up breaking the threads on the carb cylinder. I am searching for a new one now and having NO luck at all. Any ideas where to find a new carb?
Old 09-09-2018, 01:04 PM
poeman1

BTW: Thanks for he feedback on the OS 40.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:12 PM
r ward

no need to pay 5 bucks for 50 cent o-ring. take the engine to an Ace hardware and sift through their o-ring drawers,....you'll find one that will work for any place on the engine.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:46 PM
aspeed

You are not having NO luck at all, it is just all bad luck. You could try Just Engines in England for ASP parts.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:09 PM
poeman1

Default Just Engines

Originally Posted by aspeed
You are not having NO luck at all, it is just all bad luck. You could try Just Engines in England for ASP parts.
Thank you and I did look them up and I will probably order one from them. I am also going to appeal to this site for help to see if anyone has a trashed ASP 52 or 61 they would be willing to part with the carb. Should be worth a shot. Thanks